Print Page | Close Window

What do you do with snarls and tangles?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=513
Printed Date: October 26 2014 at 1:54am

Topic: What do you do with snarls and tangles?
Posted By: SuperGrover
Subject: What do you do with snarls and tangles?
Date Posted: March 23 2003 at 11:40am
Am I the only person who is in the habit if cutting bad snarls and tangles out of my hair?

I used to put a dab of conditioner on them and try to smooth them out... But I think once a hair has been twisted into a nasty snarl, it will never be the same again. And then, this damaged hair is likely to become entangled in other healthy hairs since it has a damaged cuticle now. So I like to think I'm preventing future damage by cutting damaged hair off.

Thankfully I only have to do this once or twice a week. They are usually pretty small and near the end of the hair anyway. Maybe I can get away with this because my hair is thick and a little bit wavy.

The biggest self-trim I did was a few months ago, in December. The parts of my hair closest to my neck were really disgusting. Some individual hairs had parts peeling away, all up and down the shaft, like branches of a tree. This small section of hair was constantly getting entangled in the healthier sections of my hair. It was doing me more harm than good, so one evening I just cut it off. It turned out to not be much hair, just the parts that root in my neck. I took my time and spent an hour doing it. I put my hair up in a clip and gradually and gently pulled hair down, starting at the bottom of my neck and working up until I had freed all the damaged hair from the bun, and all of the healthy hair was up. When I felt like I had all the damaged hair (and only damaged hair), I cut it off about an inch above the damaged area. I had my husband help me so it's straight.

I'm so glad I did it! My hair doesn't get tangled NEARLY as often anymore. The only bad thing is that when I put my hair up, there are 2 strange looking tails on either side of my neck. I don't wear my hair up in the winter, so it hasn't been a problem, but in the summer, I think I will clip them up with barrettes.

Does anyone else trim damaged spots out of their hair? Am I a strange egg?

-------------
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Replies:
Posted By: AmandaPanda
Date Posted: March 23 2003 at 12:23pm
Maybe you should try oils....macadamia nut oil, jojoba, monoi

-------------
http://amandapandahair.spaces.live.com/ - My Long Hair Odyssey

Posted By: uzma
Date Posted: March 23 2003 at 4:47pm
Hello Supergrover

Your post sent a shiver down my spine.
I have never heard or seen tangles so severe that they needed to be cut off.

My sister has very curly hair which sometimes tangles up very badly, but by......

(a) taking preventative measures i.e oiling, conditioning and sleeping on a satin pillow

(b) unpicking the tangles hair with a saw-cut comb or a tapestry needle

......she can usually fix it.

I suggest you examine the reasons for your hair tangling so badly.
Is it, for example, long curly hair that you wear lose when sleeping and wake up with serious tangles? If so, you will need to lightly oil and braid hair before bedtime.

Prevention is better than cure, especially when the cure involves sissors !!!!

Best wishes.

-------------
Uzi

Date Posted: March 23 2003 at 9:24pm
Funny you should mention the jojoba oil. I just let my hair soak in it for 24 hours. That does help a lot. I do that about once a month.

I do plan on making myself a satin pillowcase. It's just a matter of finding time to get to the fabric store.

Other than that, it seems I get tangles no matter what I do. Most of them can be worked out gently with no problems. But when they're tight, and I do take the time to work them out, the hairs are sharply bent and quite visibly damaged. When you have sharp cuticle damage like this, doesn't it just rub against other hairs and create new tangles? You can't repair severe damage like that. Why keep it?

Incidentally, my hair is really fine and delicate... I'm really tender-headed. But it's thick because I have a lot of it. You can almost NEVER get a comb or even your fingers through it because it sticks together like cornsilk.

-------------
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: March 23 2003 at 11:30pm
your hair sounds like mine. i cut the knots out if it's only a few strands and there is no other way to get them out. i've tried alot of things and nothing has helped. i find washing it every other day helps.. the longer i go without washing it the more it gets tangled. when hair gets knotted up like ours it's usually a sign of damage. mines is damaged from coloring/bleaching it alot and then not getting it trimmed every few months.

Posted By: Sophie
Date Posted: March 24 2003 at 2:35pm
What Shampoo and Conditioners do you use?

Is this tangling, something that happens no matter what product you are using?

Fine or course?

Is your water hard?? Minerals?

-------------
Sophie
http://salonwest.proboards34.com - http://salonwest.proboards34.com

Date Posted: March 24 2003 at 9:26pm
Oh no, you don't want to ask me what shampoo and conditioner I use. It would be shorter to write a list of products I don't use.
I switch products every day to prevent build up. Do you think I should pick one and stick with it?

Our water is kind of hard... but we don't have too much white build-up on the shower heads. I've lived in much-worse apartments.
I used to occasionally rinse with apple cider vinegar, but that didn't help noticeably.

I don't know... my hair has been cornsilk my whole life. That's just it's nature.
You know what I mean, right? You run your fingers through it and it just sticks together.

-------------

Posted By: Elissa
Date Posted: March 25 2003 at 4:40am
I try to undo beginning snarls and tangles with my fingers throughout the day, before they get out of control. Mine usually start immediately in the morning, because I towel-dry and go, never combing out after my shower (combing out straightens my wavy hair).

Sometimes I take the pointed side of one of those skinny curling brushes (back end of styling comb would work too) and carefully comb my hair vertically with the point, from root to end, to stop beginning tangles.

I've also noticed that wind (like from driving with car windows open) wreaks havoc on tangling hair, so I try to wear mine in a ponytail or scarf whenever it's very windy.

When the tangles get really bad, I spray leave-in conditioner directly on the tangle and work on it with my fingers.

-------------
[/url]
http://lilypie.com">

Print Page | Close Window