Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=52536
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 3:53pm

Topic: Mariska Hargitay Pixied?
Posted By: arch94
Subject: Mariska Hargitay Pixied?
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 9:37am
According to People.com, Mariska debuted a new pixie at a "cookie magazine" event this week. Anyone confirm or deny this?  People has a pic up on their website.

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20037389_3,00.html - http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20037389_3,00.html

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Replies:
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 9:42am
Appears to be true.

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=271947&s=mariska%20hargitay&sfld=C&vwmd=e - http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=271947&s=mariska%20hargitay&sfld=C&vwmd=e

-------------

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 9:52am
Though I like it short and think she had let it get WAY too long for her I liked it just above her shoulders the best.

Posted By: ssjockey
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 9:54am
Not the first time she has done that.  She is very pretty and wears the pixie very, very well!

(Also, she works on the Law & Order franchise, and it seems that many of the women in the shows cut their hair short while on the show)

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:03am
I couldn't bring myself to reply to myself twice, but now i can reply again.

Let there be rejoicing in Kansas. I've always thought she looked best with this style. A close second was the long hair with straight bangs, IMO.

I also looked up the Cookie magazine website, and they had two pics of her too.

Maybe we'll hear why in the coming days, but i'm in agreement with ssjockey...i bet it's related to the show.

-------------

Posted By: Curlyfan
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 12:24pm
Good news, and very unexpected, I thought she'd keep it long for a while but she apparently missed it short. She can pull off long or short hair well, but I think looks much more distinctive with the pixie and has a great face for it, and I'm glad she returned to short.

-------------
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!

Posted By: trout
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 3:47pm
Wow - really suprised that she cut it after the big deal that was made of getting it long. 

She is one of those women who does not have classic beautie who just manages to look absolutely stynning and sexy. 
THis look is no exception.  She just nails the look and the cut is perfect for her.  The highlights are awesome as well.  She looks 10 years younger with a funky, hip style.

LOVE IT

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 3:59pm
     Dead Well, I see that I've been outvoted. As short haircuts go, Mariska's is a very attractive cut.  Actually, I think pixie cuts look best a little shorter than this. BUT..... I think that the cut is unflattering on *her*. Like Michelle Williams, I think she looks 5-10 years older now. MH has harder features which looked beautiful to me when she had hair length. But sorry, she is not "cute" pretty, and short hair makes her look CPA-like and BORING. 
     65% of voters disagree, but I thought she was hot with tresses, NOT with this head-hugger 'do. Best, Bob Confused

Posted By: Kramer
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 4:41pm

I'm surprised by the voters as well. I'm pretty depressed about the short hair.

I really liked Mariska when she had long hair during her "ER" days.

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biography/Mariska-Hargitay-Biography.htm - http://www.the-planets.com/star-biography/Mariska-Hargitay-Biography.htm

I really had no interest in her with short hair, although I assumed she wore it shorter to play the cop role in "Law and Order, SVU."

I really liked this phase; it was so sexy: http://images.askmen.com/imagessexsymbol/2001_sep/mariska_hargitay/mariska_hargitay_150.jpg - http://images.askmen.com/imagessexsymbol/2001_sep/mariska_hargitay/mariska_hargitay_150.jpg

The longer it got, the more I liked her.

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/53/57/0000035357_20061023154748.jpg?y=626&sig=izh1DLz5uHdZAVCazJktCQ - http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/53/57/0000035357_20061023154748.jpg?y=626&sig=izh1DLz5uHdZAVCazJktCQ --

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5899/MariskaHar_Devan_13250441_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Hargitay%2C%20Mariska&seq=2 - http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5899/MariskaHar_Devan_13250441_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Hargitay%2C%20Mariska&seq=2

With Law and Order's ratings said to be struggling, I wonder how this new haircut will go over. I won't be watching. Too depressed, as I said.

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 5:20pm
Yeah! Go Girl, Go Girl...Uh huh, Uh huh
If you couldn't tell, I like it!

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 5:26pm
Seems she did it unwillingly for the show:

"Onto guest Mariska Hargitay, with a newly cropped 'do, who was there watching the picture: "I just cut my hair. My 'Law & Order' boss suddenly decided I should cut it. It was traumatic. I was terrified. I've saved the hair." It's in an envelope in my house."

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 5:51pm
     Shocked Holy smokes, Fat!!! I feel terribly for her. The long hair WAS very lovely on her. It is revolting that producers have forced her to endure this aging, radically short haircut. It's a crying shame! I guess that corporate women should look unisexual.  Yeah, right. Only if your purpose is to upset and drive away a large portion of your male viewers. Bob Angry

Posted By: Heath
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 6:00pm
I wonder why her bosses felt she should cut it. She's had it short before. Surprised it's traumatic. It's part of Hollywood. If you have short hair, they make you get extensions. They cut long hair. Actresses know this and will doing anything for a role.

I don't like either picture on the People website. I like the Wireimage photos. I've liked it long too.

Bob, she appears to picking up mail viewers from the opinions above.

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 6:28pm
A little off topic, but you know, I hate to comment on any haircut or hair growth as "good news" or "bad news".  If the person looks better, yes it is good news, but as this is really a matter of personal taste, we really shouldn't say it's good or bad.  It is what it is. 

We CAN however express our like or dislike of the new style.  That's what this board is about.  Please excuse me, I just get a little annoyed when people say a haircut is "good" or "bad" news, without even knowing what the celebrity in question thinks or without knowing the reason behind the cut at all!

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

"Onto guest Mariska Hargitay, with a newly cropped 'do, who was there watching the picture: "I just cut my hair. My 'Law & Order' boss suddenly decided I should cut it. It was traumatic. I was terrified. I've saved the hair." It's in an envelope in my house."

Fat, Where exactly did you hear that?  From Kramer or from a real source?  Wink

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 6:39pm
Yes, it's areal source. I did a news search on Google and came up with it.

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:12pm
I was looking maybe for a link...

Yes, the quote comes from that paragon of journalism...the NY Post Gossip Column (I'm sure NOTHING there is ever taken out of context):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05012007/gossip/cindy/musical_thrills__rosie_spills_______cindy_cindy_adams.htm - http://www.nypost.com/seven/05012007/gossip/cindy/musical_thrills__rosie_spills_______cindy_cindy_adams.htm

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:23pm
Don't see why you have to be so doubtful and irritable about it SSJ. There is nothing new about celebs having their hair cut for movies or TV series: think of Lauren Holly for example.

Are you just miffed because it seems Marisa didn't actually want to go short? Remember you're the one who keeps repeating ad nauseam that every woman should choose for herself. In this case, it actually seems that Marisa didn't really want to cut her hair.

P.S. They are quotation marks around what Marisa said.

Posted By: Klaatu48
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:30pm
Ugh... It seems almost cruel that they'd make her cut it after she grew it out for so long. Practically teasing her, you know?

Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:34pm
Totally awesome!!  I have always liked her with short hair.  This cut is my favorite.

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 8:44pm

Fat, Where exactly did you hear that?  From Kramer or from a real source?  Wink
[/QUOTE] You can quote me on this: Her long hair was award-winning.
http://www.superiorpics.com/mariska_hargitay/pictures/6464_hargit55524_2_picture.html - http://www.superiorpics.com/mariska_hargitay/pictures/6464_hargit55524_2_picture.html

Do you guys ever remember her looking like this? Yikes.
http://www.superiorpics.com/mariska_hargitay/pictures/Hargitay_JS88116719_picture.html - http://www.superiorpics.com/mariska_hargitay/pictures/Hargitay_JS88116719_picture.html

I hope they gave her a handsome bonus to go short again.

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:03pm
She was looking great with it long. Now will this save the show? I keep hearing that NBC has trouble with it's line up. Fox keeps getting into the 1 spot while NBC is in 4th. I just hope they go one more season before pulling the plug.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:43am

Don't see why you have to be so doubtful and irritable about it SSJ. There is nothing new about celebs having their hair cut for movies or TV series: think of Lauren Holly for example.

Are you just miffed because it seems Marisa didn't actually want to go short? Remember you're the one who keeps repeating ad nauseam that every woman should choose for herself. In this case, it actually seems that Marisa didn't really want to cut her hair.

P.S. They are quotation marks around what Marisa said.

Not miffed that she didn't want to cut her hair.  I make a joke about your lack of source, then you still don't identify it.  All I'm saying is that it is POSSIBLE that the NY Post Gossip Column could misrepresent what she said.  They are well known for that, and many people think that the NY Post is one small step above the National Enquirer and below People Magazine for journalistic integrity.  With that said, if it is true (I would guess it is) then I feel bad for her, but I still think she looks great with short hair.

Given the history of the show, I'm not completely surprised.  I liked her long hair, and I like this cut.  She kept her hair very short for almost 4 years before growing it out.  I thought at one point it was too short, but this cut is very nice.

But this get's back to my point of "good news" vs. "bad news", doesn't it?  If she was forced or "asked" by the show to cut her hair, then it is not bad news, but unfortunate for her.  She probably gets paid something in the neighborhood of $100,000 per episode, so I'm sure that will take the "sting" out of a cute short haircut that flatters her features! 

Posted By: love it short
Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 7:59am
She's a short hair lady, so glad she cut her hair again she looks GREAT!

Posted By: pockyisgod
Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:14pm
Poor woman Cry
When you have long hair and you lose it because of a natural problem it is one thing...but when there is nothing "wrong" with you and you are forced to chop it off, that's altogether another thing and it's terrible.

The cut suits her, but she looked better with long hair, definitely.

-------------
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Klaatu48 Klaatu48 wrote:

Ugh... It seems almost cruel that they'd make her cut it after she grew it out for so long. Practically teasing her, you know?

Cruel? She makes more money each episode than most people make in a year. Having her bosses tell her how they want her hair is a small price to pay. Would you cut your hair for $6.5 million? Not only is the show not in danger of being cancelled, Mariska is one of the http://www.tvgasm.com/newsgasm/news/law-order-svu/nbc-saves-svu.php - highest paid actors on TV.

So, yeah, Mariska wasn't forced to do anything. For the money she's being paid, deciding her hair is the minimum her producers should ask her to do. Living in SoCal, I've met actors and actresses who would cut their hair for non-paying stage roles. I've met actresses who are very attached to their, but they'd part with it in a second if the role was a big break. Their work is way more important than their hair. If it wasn't, they'd be doing something else.

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by pockyisgod pockyisgod wrote:

Poor woman Cry
When you have long hair and you lose it because of a natural problem it is one thing...but when there is nothing "wrong" with you and you are forced to chop it off, that's altogether another thing and it's terrible.

The cut suits her, but she looked better with long hair, definitely.

She wasn't forced.  She had a choice.  If the long hair was that important to her, she could have put it in her contract.  For all we know she gets paid more so they CAN tell her what to do with her hair.

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 4:11pm
      I am TOTALLY on your side, Pocky. Even if I liked this cut on her, I would think that forcing a woman to make a relatively permanent change in her appearance IS cruel. The fact that Mariska is unimaginably wealthy does not make her immune to sorrows and insecurities. Some people get their jollies from wielding power over others, but I cannot relate to this. If hair control was part of her contract, at this point you'd think that she has attained the stature that her own feelings would be respected.
     One final thing: About the lopsided vote, my **guess**, Heath, (lol)  is that  90% of voters were women. Since Mariska has a fabulous shape, and is facially attractive, is it possible that many of the "positive" votes were more from women wishing that *they* could still look that good if they cut their hair that dramatically? (Note: Many of you *would* look better than her with the same cut. It's just not HER, IMO.) Or from those who feel that her short coif is a confirmation of their own choices? I'd love to see a breakdown of the sexes, in any case. I can't believe that most men *prefer* this new chop. Big%20smile Best, Bob

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 4:46pm
exactly, Bob.

ssjockey, yes she makes truckloads of money, but that does not mean she is the one wielding the power. They may have put her under a lot of pressure to cut her hair and eventually she gave in? I don't know. Whatever the reason, the result seems to me that SHE did not want to cut her hair, so she was forced or she was pressured into to do it. Wealth does not make her immune to the sadness this can bring because she loved her long hair; hair which she grew by herself instead of just buying extensions. That's years of time and effort just gone, just like that. To anyone it's heartbreaking. 

-------------
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 6:18pm
90% of what voters? What vote are you talking about? I can't see a vote on this page.

1) This is not a permanent change to her appearance. She can grow it back out in a year and a half.

2) She is not forced to do anything. If she chooses not to cut her hair, she can pursue other work. If she were really that sad, she would have quit. She's a big name in TV. She could easily get very lucrative work if she quit. She chose not to.

3) It is not cruel to pressure an actress to cut her hair. You people seem to have no concept of how TV and movies work. No one is trying to
weild power over someone else. Directors and producers have their idea of how a character should look. It is a creative choice along with camera angle, lighting, line delivery, editing, wardrobe et al. This is their job. It's really irrelevant whether you feel an actress should cut her hair for a role. The director or producer sees the character in a certain way and feels that his or her vision can be communicated with a haircut. Hairstyle is not in the actor's hands, no matter how much he or she makes. Thus, Tom Hanks' in "Da Vinci Code."

Actors and actresses understand this and are fine with it. Their craft is far more important than their hair. They will all cut it for the right role.

You are lamenting her going short. Are you lamenting Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley being asked to grow their hair out for roles? Both expressed love of short hair. But the parts their playing now call for long hair. So they grow it. It's the business. Nothing more.

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 6:36pm
Here we go lets see if the rateing start to fall? Call it the Keri Russell effect? I like the show I watched when she went short the first time. But as I said NBC has been hit real bad I guess we will see how this plays out.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: May 03 2007 at 9:22pm
Heath, I'm right with you. I've done lots of acting, and part of the fun of inhabiting a character is changing your outward appearance to "become" that person, whether it's clothes, glasses, or hair. If she did cut it at her producer's request, then that's the price that comes with playing this role, the same way some jobs require a long commute or sitting at a desk all day. She's always free to say "no" and walk away anytime. But my guess is, she recognizes (as most would) that it's a small trade-off for the work, and it's not permanent. And once she's over the "trauma" of the moment, she might even like it.

Also, for the record, I'm a heterosexual man and although I liked it long, I think she looks sexier and more distinctive with it short. I even liked that blonde spiky pixie thing!

-------------

Posted By: Ben C
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 5:25am
if you look at wireimage it appears that Mariska's hair was cut short in a 2 step process.  In March there are pictures of her on the set of Law & Order with very long hair.  It appears to have been trimmed slightly on Mar 21 before a Gotham cover party. It's hard to say, it could just be stylying making it look shorter, but I actually think that was trim #1. 

Trim #2 came between April 9 and April 23.  Here was a bigger cut.  She went from below shoulder length to above her shoulders.  There's only a couple of photos but it's definitely a lot shorter.  It looks to be just below her chin.  Then of course there are the photos from May 1 that show the chop pixie.  It's quite a makeover for her and probably not in a good way.  I think her best look in these series of photos was the was after trim #1. 

If I read correctly they are already filming for next year on Law & Order so I assume the haircut won't show up in shows until next fall? 

I must say she really looks to have aged a lot with that haircut. 

Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Heath Heath wrote:

90% of what voters? What vote are you talking about? I can't see a vote on this page.

1) This is not a permanent change to her appearance. She can grow it back out in a year and a half.

2) She is not forced to do anything. If she chooses not to cut her hair, she can pursue other work. If she were really that sad, she would have quit. She's a big name in TV. She could easily get very lucrative work if she quit. She chose not to.

3) It is not cruel to pressure an actress to cut her hair. You people seem to have no concept of how TV and movies work. No one is trying to
weild power over someone else. Directors and producers have their idea of how a character should look. It is a creative choice along with camera angle, lighting, line delivery, editing, wardrobe et al. This is their job. It's really irrelevant whether you feel an actress should cut her hair for a role. The director or producer sees the character in a certain way and feels that his or her vision can be communicated with a haircut. Hairstyle is not in the actor's hands, no matter how much he or she makes. Thus, Tom Hanks' in "Da Vinci Code."

Actors and actresses understand this and are fine with it. Their craft is far more important than their hair. They will all cut it for the right role.

You are lamenting her going short. Are you lamenting Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley being asked to grow their hair out for roles? Both expressed love of short hair. But the parts their playing now call for long hair. So they grow it. It's the business. Nothing more.

I've said what I've said and I will stick to that. And I'm lamenting nothing. I merely said I thought she looked BETTER with long hair, and that it is damn upsetting to lose your hair if you took the trouble to grow it long. WHOEVER you are, it is upsetting. Over and out.

-------------
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*

Posted By: Merlin101
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 8:43am
How traumatic can it be when you've done it before?  Maybe she is playing the media for additional attention and ratings.  Personally, I loved MH with the short hair and haven't watched the show lately due to touring, but I doubt this is an attempt by NBC to save the show.  She looks more like a detective, her role, with the short hair.  As for aging, if you like it, you say she looks younger, if you hate, you say she looks older.  Eye - beholder, you get the rest. 

Oh, I just shaved my head for the first time ever.  From pony tail to slick in 10 minutes.  Not traumatic.  I even like it.  I'm told daily that I look younger.

Where do these long hair worshippers get their material?  Maybe they should get jobs in Hollywood or go to work for the Bush family to bring back the "good ol' days", pre-1920's.

Oh yeah, I am a very heterosexual male, loving MH's short hair to the max.

-------------
I can barely conjure myself out of bed, let alone conjure up the devil.

Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

Here we go lets see if the rateing start to fall? Call it the Keri Russell effect? I like the show I watched when she went short the first time. But as I said NBC has been hit real bad I guess we will see how this plays out.

There is no such thing as the "Keri Russell" effect. It's a myth because her haircut was so unpopular. The show's ratings dropped slightly because it was moved to a new more competitive night and there was a sharp creative drop.

Characters cut their hair short on many many shows. Sara Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, Alyssa Milano, Ashley Scott, Katherine Heigl, Jenny Garth, Cynthia Watros, Lauren Holly, Jennifer Anniston, and Josie Bissett all come to mind off the top of my head. None of their shows had a ratings drop as a result.

In fact, a haircut is more likely to make the show more popular. Whenever Jennifer Anniston cut her hair women ran out to the salon. When Alyssa Milano chopped hers off, she brought the pixie back to popularity.

Most people don't watch TV based on an actress's hair. Especially men. If men watch a show because of a woman's appearance, it's usually not hair. But few men base what they watch based on attractive an actress is. Shows like "Charmed" and "Gilmore Girls" with very attractive women get low percentages of male viewers.

"SVU" is one of NBC's most popular shows. Dick Wolf has had many many shows on the air that have been very successful. That happens because he knows the creative decisions to make that will attract viewers. Mariska had short hair when the show started. Ratings were good. They were good when she had long hair. They will likely continue to be good. Eventually there will be decline, since all shows run out of steam.

You know what would be upsetting for her? To not play the character.

Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 3:23pm
     Heath, the "vote" is on people.com, as linked in the first posting. I emhasized that my opinion was a "**guess**". And I said the cut was a "*relatively* permanent" change. You know, more lasting than make-up and less so than plastic surgery.
     Obviously she made a choice, but IMO, if she made it clear to her bosses that she was not keen about doing this, they *should* have respected that, contract or no contract. And what is this about Keira and Natalie being forced to grow their short hair for roles? Wigs did the trick nicely in LOTR!
     One more thing: Not every hetero guy cares even a whit about chest size or shape, or any other one thing about a woman. If you ever were to attend a Crystal Gayle concert, you'd *know* that there are countless guys who go crazy over a gal's long hair! (lol) Wink Bob

Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 6:32pm
Hey I didn't pick on Dick Wolf. I like his shows. Also She did start off with hair just a bit below shoulder lenght. See the first Season. If you can't USA has the show so you can watch the older shows there. I'm just going by what the rating are going. NBC is number 4. Just have to see what is going to happen.

-------------

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 4:49am
I love the color and highlights. The haircut...doesnt look bad,but looked better long IN MY OPINION. Actress or not I think it's mean to make someone cut their hair if they dont want to.And,a good question would be WHY on earth would they let her grow it out only to make her cut it?

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:52am
They are very good points and questions Jules.

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 5:46pm
Mike, a little knowledge is dangerous. You've heard NBC is number four without any idea of how to apply it. First, the numbers you cite are household viewership. No advertiser uses those to buy advertising. The newspapers use those numbers because 1) it's what was used before Nielsen started measuring demos 2) they don't have access to and can't print demo numbers. Regardless of NBC's numbers, it's "SVU" numbers that are important. "SVU" posts strong A18-49 numbers and usually wins it's time slot. The show posts the highest or second highest (after "Deal or No Deal") ratings on NBC. Despite being a mature show, "SVU" is doing very well in the ratings.

No, Jules, those are not good points or questions. To be mean, you have to do something with the intent to inflict emotional harm. That isn't the case here. This is a creative decision. It's one that actors and actresses have had to make for decades. Do you think it's mean that all the actors in "Black Hawk Down" had to get military short haircuts?

This is a creative process. Haircuts are creative decisions. She probably grew out her hair because the show producers wanted the character to have long hair. Whether she wanted long hair or not. Now they feel the character should have short hair. There is no animosity involved. It's about creativity.

Wigs can look good. Nicole Kidman has looked great in wigs. They can look fake. Mekhi Phifer looked silly in "8 Mile."

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 7:35pm
"No, Jules, those are not good points or questions. To be mean, you have to do something with the intent to inflict emotional harm. That isn't the case here."

They are good questions to me.I'm not here to debate it,merely stating my opinion,and that is how I feel.

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 8:05pm
New photos.

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/05/hargitayhermann.html

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 9:05pm
Cool so the show is doing well. Hey I just wanted to say what has been pointed out. That's all when things start going downhill please let me know. Thank you. Heath. WWII history is more bag of tea then TV rating.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 5:40am
I like the tapering on the back.  I'm trying to get my wife to do that.

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

Cool so the show is doing well. Hey I just wanted to say what has been pointed out. That's all when things start going downhill please let me know. Thank you. Heath. WWII history is more bag of tea then TV rating.

Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume that since you don't like the cut, that most people won't like the cut and that the ratings will go down as a result?

I have no idea whether people will like the cut. As Bob points out, viewers of People.com do like it better. Bob concludes that the viewers aren't men and aren't thinking clearly. So he also has decided his personal beliefs are the same as most of America.

You believe that because you don't like the cut and America won't like the cut, the ratings will go down. Haircuts don't influence ratings. I'd guess that a tiny percentage of the viewers will be bothered by Mariska's haircut. It's possible that more will like the cut and viewership will increase. Whenever Jennifer Anniston cut her hair, "Friends" fans loved it. As I pointed out earlier, actors and actresses change their hair on shows all the time. It never (including Keri Russell) influences ratings.

I think there are few people who watch shows based on hair. Unless you're on this board, you judge a show based on the characters and the writing. Mariska has had short and long hair on the show. All the "ER" actresses have done the same. It hasn't changed the ratings.

Like the haircut or don't like the haircut. Your choice. But assuming most of America agrees with you is arrogant.

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 2:17pm
In my opinion the style ages her--though I agree that hairstyles don't generally influence ratings.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 7:07pm

Apparently it took this thread to wake me out of my deep slumber.  I'm sure that won't please some.

I went to look for the pic at the link shared by arch94, but all I saw after scrolling through some of the choices were pictures of celebrity women sporting long hair, including Vanessa Minnillo, Eva Longoria, a now-wigged Britney, and this of Jessica Simpson (long pause):

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/070521/jessica_simpson2.jpg

Anyway, where was I?  Oh, right, the discussion on Mariska Hargitay's recent haircut.  I agree with what ssjockey said in his self-described "off-topic" second post on page 1 (14th post overall in the thread).  And I'll elaborate: I encourage self-moderation in response to those whose posts with which we might disagree.  Argue the position, but don't attack the person.

I won't pretend to know what drove the show's executive producer to make the decision regarding her hair.  Was it to fit a desired image of the role?  Or was it just because he's a sick bastrd who wanted to see her suffer (knowing how traumatic a cut would be to her)?  Certainly it is much more palatable to assume the former.  Not meaning to suggest the latter has any validity, but it is within the realm of the possible.  If I'm not mistaken, other women playing these roles in the series have had long hair.  Has he, or anyone, ever analyzed the ratings based on the hair length of the female lead in this series?

Most people have, at least once within their lifetimes, decided to cut their hair in a way that they either thought would help them appeal to an employer, or as a requirement of a new job.  I would hazard to guess that in the absence of the job factor, most of these folks would not have had their hair cut at that time in that way.  Is it right?  People determine their priorities, and the ability to pay bills seems to annoyingly (lol) take precedence over preferred hairstyle.  To assume that all or even most women presently have the hairstyle they truly want is fallacy.

Curlyfan, I will hazard a guess that in all of your acting roles, you never once had to cut off long hair that you wanted to keep?  All of the other physical trappings of roleplaying (primarily clothes and makeup) are easily put on, removed, and put on again at will.  Annoyingly again, hair just doesn't work the same way.  And what might be fun for you was not for Mariska.

Merlin, I was not aware that short hair makes a woman look more believable as a detective.  Do you have scientifically-designed hair length & style descriptions "best" befitting a large set of occupations?  In the entirety of my extensive professional career, I've never found a correlation between effectiveness and hair length among my many colleagues.  One request: please refrain from bringing real politics into this arena.  And FWIW, your assumption of correlation between LH and bush is laughable.

Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:04am
L & O doesn't make every woman playing a cop or a lawyer cut her hair, but they have a history of women with short cuts. Alana de la Garza chopped hers off for her role. Julianne Nicholson cut hers for her role. Jill Hennessey said she had to get her hair every two weeks to keep it the length they wanted. Carey Lowell had short hair. Angie Harmon's hair was long. Milena Govich also has long hair. So does Kathryn Erbe.

I don't think they expect the ratings to change based on the hair. They are just looking at how they want to express the characters.

Female police officers with long hair will always put it up in a bun. Suspects used to grab female police officers' hair during a scuffle. They no longer give them that advantage.

Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 2:51pm
Heath you posted this,"Like the haircut or don't like the haircut. Your choice. But assuming most of America agrees with you is arrogant." about me I don't feel arrogant. If it came across that way well I guess I have to really watch what I type. I was just putting things out there that has been cover by this board a few times. That was all. Thank you for calling me "arrogant" Makes me feel that I can be like my favorite general Patton. Now I will play Axis and Alles with my big head.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 10:49am
It's worth noting that Mariska Hargitay was consistently a long haired gal before L&O:SVU. Think of ER. Think of Falcon Crest. Though some seem to think of Mariska as a short haired icon, it seems that she only keeps it that way for the program. Expect a grow out as soon as she finishes.

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:50pm
Just a quick response to DaveDecker's fair question - I've never cut long hair short for an acting role, but I'm currently involved in a corporate gig for which I'm keeping my hair at short and neat instead of having it grown out a bit and messy, as I'd like to have it. I made this decision of my own free will because the money I make in this gig is worth the small price of keeping my hair a certain way.

I can't speak to Mariska's feelings on her choice. But I'd still guess that, if the request indeed came from the producer, that Mariska made a similar decision of her own free will to comply because it wasn't worth losing her job and salary to keep her long hair, and it's not any more complicated than that. And I'd suspect we have now given it more attention than the producers, the average viewer, or even Mariska herself ever has.... :-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:20pm
NBC may soon be saying buh-bye to the bum-bum.

With just a week until the Peac*ck network reveals its fall schedule, there's word that the Law & Order "mothership" may be jumping ship to TNT.

NBC Universal and Wolf Films, the producers of the long-running, franchise-spawning prime-time stalwart, are in talks with the basic cable network to pick up either, or possibly both, Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

"Negotiations are ongoing regarding Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent and, as always, we do not comment on negotiation," Dick Wolf said in a statement.

A rep for TNT, meanwhile, says, "We don't comment on speculation."

The move appears to be a last-ditch effort to keep Law & Order from being canceled. Now in its 17th season, the formerly dominant procedural has struggled ratings-wise in recent years. But Wolf is apparently willing to make concessions to enable his brainchild to surpass Gunsmoke's 20-year run to become the longest running show in prime-time history, one of his oft-repeated desires.

The pickup, should it occur, would come with a price—a much, much lower one.

TNT is apparently targeting a truncated 18th season—13 versus the standard 22—to cut production costs. The basic cable network would also require Wolf & Co. to dramatically reduce other per episode expenses to make the pick up a more economically viable option. In exchange, TNT would offer producers more creative freedom.

Even if Wolf balks at the TNT parameters, he's facing some serious budget trimming if he wants to keep the original series going.

According to Broadcasting & Cable, if NBC opts to keep Law & Order in its Friday night graveyard slot, the network is demanding the show's annual costs be pared down by $11 million. Over the years, the show's price tag has ballooned to about $4 million per episode and it would require a $500,000 per episode drop to keep it on NBC.

The trade publication reports that TNT, which currently runs an average of 28 hours of Law & Order, Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit reruns a week, approached NBC about the pickup several months ago. But the offer has reportedly gained traction in recent weeks as NBC has considered dropping the flailing series in lieu of fresh drama programming.

According to Variety, NBC was initially planning to shelve Law & Order: Criminal Intent but keep Law & Order on the prime-time roster, though in recent weeks the network has reportedly flip-flopped its mindset. Variety reports that now it appears NBC will reup for CI and SVU, the sole franchise player to already be granted a renewal for next fall, come next Tuesday's upfronts, leaving the original Law & Order out in the cable cold.

NBC execs apparently don't want to completely kill off a show that has been a cornerstone of the network's lineup for nearly two decades and remains lucrative in syndication and video. The Law & Order franchise's estimated value is a staggering $3 billion.

As it is, the Jack McCoy-led cops-and-lawyers brigade has been averaging just 9.0 million viewers this year, losing nearly a fifth of its audience after getting shuffled from Wednesday night to its current spot in Friday's no-man's land. Law & Order: CI, meanwhile, has fared even worse, averaging a franchise low 8.8 million.

Well not sure if this is good or not.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:26pm
I got that from E news.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 3:17pm
     Hey, Dave! Big%20smile Thanks for saying some of what I'd been thinking. The thought of some sicko waving a contract and taking pleasure in demanding that Mariska chop her stunning locks DID cross my mind. I *believe* that it was just an ill-advised attempt at creating buzz about the show, but you never know. It surely doesn't make sense to me. Well, I couldn't watch that show anyway, even with a *hot* Mariska. The world's injustices are harsh enough. I don't need to see more of the same on fictional TV shows! (lol) Blessings, Bob

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 10:42pm
Note to self: in next life, goto college to become a contract waving sicko. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 8:00am
Nice photo a month or so before the chop.

Posted By: Klaatu48
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 10:03am
She was looking pretty good (to make an understatement about it...)
It's a shame they made her cut it.

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 11:40am
     Shocked WOW Fat!!! It was awesome! I hadn't seen her in a while.
     HEY ARCH!!!  LOLLOLLOL I hear it's good work if you can get it. Confused

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 11:27pm
Thanks Fat one of the best pics I have seen for her. Thank you again.

-------------

Posted By: blackhoney112
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 3:03pm
I think that she looks lovely with either hair cut but if its gotta be short it should be a shorter pixie. I have to agree with previous poster that the long hair is my fav look for her it really softened her face and made her look more feminine

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
pw:Romeo

Posted By: HopeB
Date Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:29am
There were some recent photos of her, her husband & their adorable baby at an NYC street fair. Her hair looked much cuter there than in the Wireimage photos:
http://community.livejournal.com/mariskahargitay/148190.html#cutid1 - http://community.livejournal.com/mariskahargitay/148190.html#cutid1

I think it's very flattering on her. I may cut my hair this way, I like it so much!

Posted By: trekgod
Date Posted: May 21 2007 at 2:54pm
That picture you suggested makes me scared to talk to her if I ever met her. Yikes.

Date Posted: May 21 2007 at 3:28pm
I think it looks adorable and my wife does have her hair cut that way - sexy!

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 21 2007 at 6:23pm
I'm with trekgod on this.  There are some short haircuts which can be flattering on some, but this cut is fugly.

Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 5:41pm

I watched the season finale last night and she still had long hair. So Mariska got the cut AFTER shooting for the season wrapped. She got the cut at the end of April, but won't be filming the show again until July. If this cut was requested by Dick Wolf, the timing is odd. Why not just wait until then to cut it?

Posted By: Ben C
Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 11:08pm
I think maybe they've already started filming part of the next season?  I would hope that is the case and they are working it into the plot, otherwise it's a little silly. 

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 1:24am
Oprah Magazine photographed Mariska with long hair. On news stands everywhere.

http://img4.shareavenue.com/image.php?file=c0bcd814167a00cdd45127cf7040b4169d604210 - http://img4.shareavenue.com/image.php?file=c0bcd814167a00cdd45127cf7040b4169d604210

Posted By: HopeB
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 2:00am
 The photoshop on that cover is terrible! Why do they do that?!  Her body proportions look really odd---her elbows are positioned to be wider than her waist, and have these weird "crisp" edges that only Photoshop can provide...it would appear that in trying to make her look super-skinny, they succeeded in making her look like a "bobble head" type! And she has a great body---I remember seeing a photo of her in a bathing suit and being totally envious of how tall, athletic and beautifully well-proportioned she looked.  She looks like Aphrodite of Knidos--and naturally, they try to "Nicole Richie" her! Typical Hollywood ridiculousness.

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 5:38am
Hair looks great.

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 10:33am

The hair in the picture may look great, but her face was definately photoshopped onto whoever's body that is.  She looks unnatural.

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 2:34pm
I don't know I guess I can't see it. The hair looks great. I guess that to me matters.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:36am
     LOL We are strange ones, Mike. That's all I noticed too! If all guys were like us, they'd leave the bodies alone and photoshop long hair onto all the ladies! Of course, with Mariska's striking locks in this photo, no alteration would have been necessary! Blessings, Bob
      P.S. Do you think it was an easy call for the Oprah people to nix the idea of a re-shoot of her with her pixie chop before the issue hit the stands?  I think they had plenty of time to incorporate the (unfortunate) change, had they so desired. Confused

Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 8:20pm
It seems odd, but MH is pushing ahead as if she never had that haircut. Recently she was featured on the cover of a magazine (Empire?) with long hair--and now she's doing a series of ads for Karastan carpets with long hair.

http://www.hometextilestoday.com/article/CA6450404.html

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 7:48am
I think they had plenty of time to incorporate the (unfortunate) change, had they so desired.
Maybe they didn't like the short hair and kept the long hair look. I know there was another model that had long hair she was going to do the ad but she also cut off her long hair the people that wanted the ad done were mad. I think you have to go bask into this board but I know it is on this board. I think the was a law suit also.

Fat thanks again for that link I still think the longer hair works for her better. Oh well.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 9:37am
Couldn't the explanation be as simple as they took the photos before the haircut?

Just curious Fatmoo: How in the world did you stumble upon that link?

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

Couldn't the explanation be as simple as they took the photos before the haircut?

Just curious Fatmoo: How in the world did you stumble upon that link?

You coild be correct Kramer, they do tend to take cover pics for magazines many weeks before the issue goes to press, but I still say that her eyes look too big for her face in that picture. 

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 10:47am
Well, as Mike said there was time to incorporate the change had they wanted to do so. It's highly unusual for someone who had a haircut months ago to still be portrayed with long hair.

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 2:12pm
No, it isn't. All of these photos were taken before she cut her hair. Magazine covers and ads are shot months, not weeks, in advance. For a June issue, monthly magazines require ads and editorial to be finished by around March 20.

There's no reason to go to the time and money of an expensive photo shoot because the actress changed her hair. Unless she's doing a hair product, her current hairstyle is irrelevant to advertisers. Unless they are mentioning her new haircut, it's irrelevant to magazine editors.

Mike46019, there was a model about five or six years ago who had her hair cut for a job doing a photo shoot and a company that had a contract with her decided they didn't like the haircut and wanted to terminate the contract for breach.

Anyone who has an appearance clause in their contract might anger their employer by cutting their hair, getting a tattoo, or gaining weight. Mariska cut her hair at the request of her employer. So the circomestances are the opposite.

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 4:00pm
I still say its unethical. A "celebrity" is hired to promote a product--and the way that celebrity looks is thought to be a factor in convincing people to buy the product. Usually, if a celeb has a drastic makeover with reasonable cause there will be a reshoot. Rarely (as perhaps here) the company will prefer to go with the original photos rather than pull the plug on the whole deal.

Oh yes: and the whole point of advertising is to give an up-to-date, modern and desirable slant on the product. That's all undermined if people are thinking while looking at the new ads: "Hey, these photos must have been taken months ago. She doesn't look like that anymore!" (which would also have the effect of taking the mind off the product.)

Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 1:28pm
I've worked in advertising for 19 years and I've never seen a company reshoot ads unless there is a problem with the film. Some advertisers will use photos that are five years old again and again as long as it looks current.

I have never heard that the point of advertising is "to give an up-to-date, modern and desirable slant on the product." The point of advertising is to sell the product. You create a carpet ad that will sell the most carpet/rugs.

Ms. Hartigay's choice of hairstyle has no impact on selling Karistan rugs. It doesn't change the product or the benefits they are tauting at all. Other than people on this board few people will look at the ad and say, "she doesn't look like that anymore." 1) it's how she looked in the last episode of "SVU" 2) A star's hairstyle change is irrelevant to most people that aren't on this board.

Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 2:09pm
I don't agree. Hairstyle is part of a star's image and, presumably, a part of the collection of attributes that makes the celebrity useful to sell the product. No doubt a butch hairdo wouldn't be so desirable to sell expensive, high society carpets as a soft and romantic style.

Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:04pm
I didn't say they would have used the new pics. Then again everyone has deadlines. But if we are talking something that is going to be out next month they have to have everything in it's place to be made. Now it is someting like New Yorker I belive they have even smaller window to put their mag together. Everthing has a deadline.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:30pm
Couldn't not post this picture from today as I think she looks great;

Mariska%20Hargitay%20Short%20Hairstyle

-------------
HAWG

Posted By: Lickalime
Date Posted: July 10 2007 at 9:50am
I can't help but wonder if her growing her hair out had something to do with her pregnancy.  the long hair gave you something else to focus on.  she did gain a lot of her weight in her face when she was pregnant, and it did show.  her hair sort of hide the look of the weight

when Mariska Hargitay said it was traumatic to cut her hair, maybe she was implying she had gotten used to it and it was just a matter of adjusting to a new look and feel

~short or long my husband and I are big fans of Mariska Hargitay.   she is beautiful and a great actess

-------------
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"

Date Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:48pm
There's an awful lot of speculation there Lickalime! I don't think either short or long hair can hide excessive weight.

Date Posted: July 16 2007 at 4:16pm
     It looks MUCH better than the original chop, but I just walked by the supermarket stand and saw her on the "O" cover. Whoever thought she should cut that youthful hair is either jealous or delirious. As Dr. Strangepork on the Muppets would say, "Good thinking Link!" LOL Bob

Date Posted: July 16 2007 at 6:32pm
Guess she'll grow it out as soon as she quits the series.

Date Posted: July 16 2007 at 10:09pm
Or if the people running the show say hey maybe cutting it short wasn't a good thing. Let's grow it long again.

-------------

Posted By: texdillo
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 8:38am
I normally tend to like shorter styles but I think in this case she looked better with long hair.

On the side issue - Actresses are not the only ones who turn over control of choosing their hairstyle with a contract. Some models, dancers, professional cheerleaders, etc have to do the same thing as part of their contracts. If it's not for you then look for a profession where you have more personal control or make it so big that you call the shots!

It's also a great observation that many of us choose more conservative style (I would prob have a band tattoo and earring) based on the expectations of our professions/employers... and it's tacit to our contracts!

Date Posted: August 06 2007 at 3:53pm
     I have no intention of rehashing Mariska's haircut, so read no further if you don't dig long hair.
     In an Aug. 10 Entertainment Weekly ad, Mariska is featured with her still flowing tresses. Page 66. It is the most beautiful photo I've ver seen of her, so if you're standing bored in a checkout line, give it a glance, or stare. LOL It'll  make you wonder afresh, but what's done is done! Cordially, Bob Smile

Date Posted: August 06 2007 at 10:35pm
I hope we will see that pic soon. Thanks for the heads up Bob.

-------------

Date Posted: August 06 2007 at 10:56pm
Go to http://www.denimday.com - www.denimday.com and you can see it.

-------------
HAWG

Date Posted: August 06 2007 at 10:58pm
Funny that she seems to be everywhere with long hair in spite of the cut months ago.

I'm not sure about this whole business of getting actresses to cut their hair either in front of the camera or for a particular role. It IS a gimmick. No actress should need to cut her hair unless she wants to. What's wrong with a wig? Remember Jennifer Lopez in "Enough"? Nicole Kidman in "Birth"? These were wigs, used when the actress didn't want to cut her hair (and in Nicole's case it was awesome). Is there anyone, for example, who thinks that Halle Berry's head shave in "Nappily Ever After" will be anything other than a publicity stunt? Or is she doing it for her art?

Posted By: natasha
Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 10:00am

What's wrong with a wig? Remember Jennifer Lopez in "Enough"?

That wig was one horrible piece of rug. It ruined the entire movie.

Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 12:56pm
Very true and the movie was awful as well.

Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 3:35pm
     OK, so I saw the "Short Hair" magazine on the stands with newly-cropped Mariska's picture on it. My curiosity got the best of me, so I HAD to see how this proselytising circular assessed her obvious "makeunder". LOL Well, the best they could say about it was that it gave her "styling ease"!! Not exactly a thunderous endorsement, even from the place you'd most expect it.
     BTW, the article surmised that it must have been her new baby which prompted the change. They should do some homework before going to press! Confused Bob
      P.S. Enya, YOU are another I'd love to see with long tresses. Yeah, wake up, Bob!!! Confused

Posted By: Shyanne
Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:44pm
I loved her look at her wedding, like 3 years ago. Her hair was very short, but with flowers pinned in.... This look....Well, I love her too much to critizize!

-------------
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...

Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:47pm
LOOOOVE her with long hair, though it reminds me of her character on E.R., as in: extremely sweet & needy. So...I liked the long hair

-------------
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...

Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:49pm
Actually, I take it back, I like her short look. I just think the long was better.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window