Print Page | Close Window

(PICS) Stages from black to blonde, ugh!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=55921
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 11:00pm

Topic: (PICS) Stages from black to blonde, ugh!
Posted By: zaxwrit
Subject: (PICS) Stages from black to blonde, ugh!
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 11:15am
Hi! So happy to have found this forum :)

For a few years I wanted to bring my dyed black hair to blonde. I have gray roots and knew blonde would work much better for this. I had been dying black for years and knew this would be a huge process. This was me with black hair.

So two months ago, I started to lighten. First attempt went very wrong. The salon guy tried but couldn't handle it, and he ended up bleaching my long hair twice. It was like three different colors - blonde for the first two inches, then reddish for the next four inches, then the rest was dark brown/black. So one week later, I went to a color corrective place, they bleached it again, and fixed it. My whole hair was like a medium to light brown. This is the day of the correction:

Fast forward six weeks, and my gray roots were showing a lot. The brown was still too dark to blend with them well. I didn't have the funds for another $500 hair appt (yikes!) so I purchased a L'Oreal blonde lightener. It worked wonderfully and had no bleach, just hydrogen peroxide. This is me today, it's a horrible picture but you get a pretty good idea of the lighter tones (still a bit lighter at the top):

I still need to go lighter to reach blonde. I think the next step is light blonde highlights. I am looking at the L'Oreal Chunky brand to do at home. But how long do you think I need to wait to do them? My hair is pretty dry but not terrible. I deep condition or oil it each day, and sometimes I leave the conditioner in for a day or to to let it really soak in.

Thank you for any advice you can provide! :)

Replies:
Posted By: Bambilee
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 3:02pm
I've gone from black ot blonde too... is your hair naturally curly?
And you took slow steps. I kinda just jumped right into it.
Depending on how light you want it and if in the end you still want highlights, chunky works... I used it to get CHUNKS. I didn't like it much. God that was MANY years ago.
I don't know much about highlighting, usually if I do end up going to a hairdresser, tha'ts what they do, but hey... do you want all over blonde color or just highlights?

I'd do the hlighlights right away. I don't think it will make any difference on the quality of your hair.

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Posted By: chicklet34
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 9:46pm
I just wanted to say i think the medium light brown color looks awesome on you. The black aged you in my opinion. You look so young and vibrant in the medium /light brown middle pic . Just wanted to share that .

-------------
:) michelleGreen Font

Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 11:50am
http://talk.hairboutique.com/member_profile.asp?PF=9461&FID=33 - Bambilee : Thank you for replying. Yes, I am naturally curly. You jumped into it? because I love the color and condition of your hair. It looks amazing. I'm going for all-over blonde, not just highlights, but hairdressers told me I had to do highlights from now on because it's already been bleached three times. I would love to get the manic panic bleach you did, but I'm worried it would kill my overprocessed hair. Thanks so much for your advice Smile

http://talk.hairboutique.com/member_profile.asp?PF=40489&FID=33 - chicklet34 : Thanks Embarrassed I love the color too but it still contrasts too much with my grays. But thank you! Smile

Posted By: Bambilee
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 3:36pm
Hairdresser told me I had to do highlights too. The sh*tty part about it though is when you want a SOLID color it's IMPOSSIBLE to do it yourself cause of the diffrent levels of lift you have. I'm trying to get a solid platnium blonde and I can't cause the parts where I have had it highlighted lifted to a while and the other parts are still a light blonde. So it ALWAYS looks like you have multi-tone hair. Which is natural I guess... lol.
I think I'm lucky to have the hair I do. It doesn't LOOK dry or damanged. My ends are getting split, but that's normal for my hair.

Good luck on your color adventure! :)

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Posted By: suicides_eve
Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 6:28pm
 i used colorzap it was alot easier then what your doing but  more power to ya! good luck

i agree i like the brown better on you

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve - YouTube Guru Makeup & Hair tutorial and How To's
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suicides-EVE/162213213843641 - MY FACEBOOK

Date Posted: August 26 2007 at 7:18am
Thanks! I should have mentioned this, but we tried color remover before starting any of this and it did nothing. I had years of black dye buildup in my hair

Posted By: lovetocolor
Date Posted: August 28 2007 at 7:32pm
did you use the color zap like eve did?  her color remover page is quite awsome....have you read it?  i too liked the light brown on you.

-------------
happy coloring

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 9:36am
Thanks, lovetocolor. I didn't know about colorzap when starting this, so my hair was bleached. Three times so far, so I guess that is the max it can take. I'll stick with the current color, which is like a golden brown (see pic below). It's a little lighter than this pic, it gets lighter every day. I really want to go to a light blonde to mask my gray roots better, but don't want to lose my hair from too much bleaching. This is so hard.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Edit: UGH sorry for huge size! I don't know how to change it. (edit again, deleted the pic, it was just too huge lol)

Posted By: lovetocolor
Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 10:32am
no problem...eve's colorzap page is something else though....i didn't know about it much either until i read that...yes, take it from someone who did keep changing colors and bleaching....it breaks off and now i have shorter hair than i ever planned or wanted tohave...believe you me, i am taking care of it and not being so squirrly about it....i like your hair the color you have and it probably will get lighter as time goes by....it is a process though, isn't it?  getting the perfect color....what a quest.

-------------
happy coloring

Print Page | Close Window