Forum Name: Lace Front Wig Talk
Forum Description: Lace Front Wig Talk
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=60143
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 12:52am

Topic: silk base? invisible roots?
Posted By: happydesta
Subject: silk base? invisible roots?
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 12:04pm

Please explain what a silk base on the crown means. I though that the only real options were french, silk, and thin skin. Any input on this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks ladies. 

Replies:
Posted By: madisonb
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 12:20pm

this must be a new option.  A couple months ago i was shopping for a closure for my aunt, I was looking at the silk closure because it looked so realistic.  I know Bless- fixinheads.com has a yaky unit- Lindsay on her site that has silk base.  I think this was holly Zhang but here is what she told me about them- It seems like a very good idea for a more natrual look

http://www.wigsandclosures.com/ - - www.WigsAndClosures.com <fulllacewigs@gmail.com> wrote:

<> <> _filtered #yiv745468967 { } _filtered #yiv745468967 { font-family:Verdana; } _filtered #yiv745468967 { } _filtered #yiv745468967 {margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;} #yiv745468967 P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 A:link { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 A:visited { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.EmailStyle17 { FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:windowtext;FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #yiv745468967 DIV.Section1 { }
Hello,

Please check my reply:

1. what is a silk based closure  ==silk is a different material than swiss lace.
  2. how is it different from the swiss lace.   =======it can be used to make hidden knots products..
  3. do you have a picture of the silk based closure  ==========enclosed please find some.

Best wishes!

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 12:29pm
Thanks  madisonb.Smile

Posted By: Breh
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 1:02pm
That does look nice the only thing I fear is that it will not match everyones skin tone. I think that would look good on lighter skinned people than the darked skinned also you will see a difference where the silk base meets the lace part so you may have to find a way to camouflage. Overall it does look very nice. 

Posted By: Divavocals
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Breh Breh wrote:

That does look nice the only thing I fear is that it will not match everyones skin tone. I think that would look good on lighter skinned people than the darked skinned also you will see a difference where the silk base meets the lace part so you may have to find a way to camouflage. Overall it does look very nice. 
It is easy enough to dye this base to match your skin tone using a little tea, coffee, semi perm hair color, or even fabric dye... Most vendors DO NOT make these bases in darker skin tones because of this.. It is EASY to make the silk base darker.. It is difficult (almost impossible) to lift the color from one of these bases once it's been dyed. Mostly because it would be impossible to lift the color from the base without affecting the hair.

Posted By: Breh
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

It is easy enough to dye this base to match your skin tone using a little tea, coffee, semi perm hair color, or even fabric dye... Most vendors DO NOT make these bases in darker skin tones because of this.. It is EASY to make the silk base darker.. It is difficult (almost impossible) to lift the color from one of these bases once it's been dyed. Mostly because it would be impossible to lift the color from the base without affecting the hair.

Wow,thanks that is good to know.

Posted By: meechie2cute
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 2:06pm
Hmm. I may have to try this cap!

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by madisonb madisonb wrote:

this must be a new option.
Actually this option has always been around, but it's not often seen/asked for.. The wigs I see at Extensions Plus are constructed this way..

Wow,thanks that is good to know.

Glad I could help..Tongue I know a vendor who ordered closures using this base and they ordered them MUCH too dark because they had the same concern as you.. I think it took them a while to get rid of these dark closures.. The lighter color is easy enough to darken, so it makes more sense for a vendor to stock the lighter tan base..

Posted By: Clueless77
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 4:12pm
wow

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 4:23pm
triple reverse knots are invisible knots, and some mono caps are also in silk as well.. i dont know how undetectable they can be as opposed to the super fine swiss tho...here's some triple reversed knots and they are invisible for real..

http://www.lphair.com/invisible_knots_order_form.php?osCsid=9c8628d3d7bbb3701a4491ce66d94731 - http://www.lphair.com/invisible_knots_order_form.php?osCsid=9c8628d3d7bbb3701a4491ce66d94731

Posted By: ash8419
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

triple reverse knots are invisible knots, and some mono caps are also in silk as well.. i dont know how undetectable they can be as opposed to the super fine swiss tho...here's some triple reversed knots and they are invisible for real..

http://www.lphair.com/invisible_knots_order_form.php?osCsid=9c8628d3d7bbb3701a4491ce66d94731 - http://www.lphair.com/invisible_knots_order_form.php?osCsid=9c8628d3d7bbb3701a4491ce66d94731

Who does triple reverse knots other than lphair.com?

Posted By: MsMahoganyRed
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:23pm

Those are nice...Wink

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by madisonb madisonb wrote:

this must be a new option.  A couple months ago i was shopping for a closure for my aunt, I was looking at the silk closure because it looked so realistic.  I know Bless- fixinheads.com has a yaky unit- Lindsay on her site that has silk base.  I think this was holly Zhang but here is what she told me about them- It seems like a very good idea for a more natrual look

http://www.wigsandclosures.com/ - - www.WigsAndClosures.com <fulllacewigs@gmail.com> wrote:

<> <> _filtered #yiv745468967 { } _filtered #yiv745468967 { font-family:Verdana; } _filtered #yiv745468967 { } _filtered #yiv745468967 {margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;} #yiv745468967 P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE:10.5pt;MARGIN:0cm 0cm 0pt;FONT-FAMILY:"Times New Roman";TEXT-ALIGN:justify;} #yiv745468967 A:link { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR:blue;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 A:visited { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR:purple;TEXT-DECORATION:underline;} #yiv745468967 SPAN.EmailStyle17 { FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:windowtext;FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #yiv745468967 DIV.Section1 { }
Hello,

Please check my reply:

1. what is a silk based closure  ==silk is a different material than swiss lace.
  2. how is it different from the swiss lace.   =======it can be used to make hidden knots products..
  3. do you have a picture of the silk based closure  ==========enclosed please find some.

Best wishes!

Holly sent these pics?  That's funny I got some different ones and they didn't look like this...these look like Halley's but then to what do I know??Confused

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:31pm
i really think this technology belongs to american wig makers in hollywood, b/c there are some that say they do this as chinese vendor's but i seriously don't believe they do.. i believe they started this technique in hollywood for the realistic look in the major flim industry, so you'd be hard pressed to find a vendor that does for the amount of money we spend with them in china.. but i'm sure once it becomes more mainstream they will be offering this.. b/c i've discussed it with some of them and they aren't aware of the technique, i believe some chinese vendor's will tell you yea they do this b/c they want the business not b/c they actually do this.. Hair Illusions does this technique and you know they charge enough that you could buy a car for their prices.. but some chinese vendors do offer silk base caps for the construction of the wigs but they tell me its harder for them to venilate with the silk base b/c the holes are much smaller than the swiss lace..

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:36pm

Mono is a different than these silk bases though.. Mono & silk mesh is still slightly transparent..

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:40pm
yes i know, my vendor tells me the silk caps are much harder to venilate b/c the holes are much smaller than the swiss lace, but it does hide the knots a little better b/c of that, but it doesn't compare to the triple reverse knots.. i bet the silk holds a little more heat too, than the lace.. just thinking of the pro's and con's.. altho the mono offers a silk mesh as well that is pretty transparent, the one mono top i had left little need for a wig cap so that was a plus for me.. even tho that website shows it as a UK vendor, its not posted as a mono silk top.. i just posted that to show the triple reverse knots technique.. Diva i bet your favorite vendor EP offers the triple reverse knots in their lf's.. with the TRK there's no need to bleach b/c the knots are completely invisible..

Posted By: Asia35
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 6:59pm
Looks really nice....

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 7:05pm
what they do to make the TRK means the knots are hidden under the inside mesh( It has two pieces of mesh), and completely invisible, giving the impression the hair is growing out of the scalp.

Posted By: lacey girl
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 9:16pm
i know about this.. it's awesome!!

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 9:35pm

i really think this technology belongs to american wig makers in hollywood, b/c there are some that say they do this as chinese vendor's but i seriously don't believe they do.. i believe they started this technique in hollywood for the realistic look in the major flim industry, so you'd be hard pressed to find a vendor that does for the amount of money we spend with them in china.. but i'm sure once it becomes more mainstream they will be offering this.. b/c i've discussed it with some of them and they aren't aware of the technique, i believe some chinese vendor's will tell you yea they do this b/c they want the business not b/c they actually do this.. Hair Illusions does this technique and you know they charge enough that you could buy a car for their prices.. but some chinese vendors do offer silk base caps for the construction of the wigs but they tell me its harder for them to venilate with the silk base b/c the holes are much smaller than the swiss lace..
Actually there are Chinese wig makers that also do wigs/closures on these silk bases. I have two clients who sell these types of closures (and wigs) and they are made in China.. Extensions Plus also has a Chinese factory who makes the stock closures and wigs for them using the silk base. (custom product is made here in Reseda, CA)

Your sources are right.. It is difficult to ventilate by hand hair into a silk base. However, these types of closures and wigs are not ventilated by the vendors I know of who are making them. The hair is machine injected into the silk base..

i bet the silk holds a little more heat too, than the lace.. just thinking of the pro's and con's.. altho the mono offers a silk mesh as well that is pretty transparent, the one mono top i had left little need for a wig cap so that was a plus for me.. even tho that website shows it as a UK vendor, its not posted as a mono silk top.. i just posted that to show the triple reverse knots technique.. Diva i bet your favorite vendor EP offers the triple reverse knots in their lf's.. with the TRK there's no need to bleach b/c the knots are completely invisible..
I can speak for the closures since I've worn them and relay to you a first hand wearers comment about the silk base wigs and heat.. They are no hotter than Swiss Lace. Remember silk is a VERY light and breathable natural fabric.. One of the girls who works there wears their wigs with the silk tops. She wears her wigs sewn-in, and she says that they are very light and not at all hot to wear.. Keep in mind this is the San Fernando valley, and in the summer time, it's get hot as HADES up in here!

I'm pretty sure that Extensions Plus does use the triple reverse technique in their wigs.. The knots looked invisible on the few full lace front wigs I've seen during my visits to Extensions Plus.. (They wouldn't really let me touch 'em since they were custom orders belonging to someone else)

Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:35pm

Thanks ladies for these info. I truly appreciate it .

Posted By: roxynyc
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:39pm
wow this type of base/knotting looks great.  but is the base much thicker than lace since there are two layers and can you expose the hairline?

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 5:05am

Actually there are Chinese wig makers that also do wigs/closures on these silk bases. I have two clients who sell these types of closures (and wigs) and they are made in China.. Extensions Plus also has a Chinese factory who makes the stock closures and wigs for them using the silk base. (custom product is made here in Reseda, CA)

Your sources are right.. It is difficult to ventilate by hand hair into a silk base. However, these types of closures and wigs are not ventilated by the vendors I know of who are making them. The hair is machine injected into the silk base..

i bet the silk holds a little more heat too, than the lace.. just thinking of the pro's and con's.. altho the mono offers a silk mesh as well that is pretty transparent, the one mono top i had left little need for a wig cap so that was a plus for me.. even tho that website shows it as a UK vendor, its not posted as a mono silk top.. i just posted that to show the triple reverse knots technique.. Diva i bet your favorite vendor EP offers the triple reverse knots in their lf's.. with the TRK there's no need to bleach b/c the knots are completely invisible..
I can speak for the closures since I've worn them and relay to you a first hand wearers comment about the silk base wigs and heat.. They are no hotter than Swiss Lace. Remember silk is a VERY light and breathable natural fabric.. One of the girls who works there wears their wigs with the silk tops. She wears her wigs sewn-in, and she says that they are very light and not at all hot to wear.. Keep in mind this is the San Fernando valley, and in the summer time, it's get hot as HADES up in here!

I'm pretty sure that Extensions Plus does use the triple reverse technique in their wigs.. The knots looked invisible on the few full lace front wigs I've seen during my visits to Extensions Plus.. (They wouldn't really let me touch 'em since they were custom orders belonging to someone else)

YES Diva i was referring to the TRK's that most chinese's vendor DO not do the TRK's.. not the silk base b/c they pretty much all do have that to offer.. i should have made a difference between the two..

Posted By: DonnaB63
Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 7:51am
The info available here is amazing!  I am wondering if the silk base is easily stained?  For instance from sweat, or if the hair is dyed, when you was the unit, will the dye stain the lace?  other than personal preference, would TRK's be a better choice for longevity?

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 8:26am
Originally posted by DonnaB63 DonnaB63 wrote:

The info available here is amazing!  I am wondering if the silk base is easily stained?  For instance from sweat, or if the hair is dyed, when you was the unit, will the dye stain the lace?  other than personal preference, would TRK's be a better choice for longevity?

well i think its possible with some of the methods we use, as for instance to bleach the knots which at times have caused a orange coloring and the rit's dye remover that could be a concern for the silk as it would be with any material..b/c some have stained the lace using the cooking spray to protect the knots while dying the hair color..i wonder about the durability of the silk holding thru those types of processes.. i'm sure that wouldn't be as much as an issue, as the different methods we use for other things we do to tweak a unit..

but in my opinion the TRK's are the better options at least for me, b/c for most lace wig wear'ers the biggest concern are the knots.. some really are afraid to bleach them, and the visibility is another problem.. the silk base is an option for an alternative to hiding them better b/c of the holes being smaller, but they aren't totally invisible as i can see from the pictures.. i'd personally much rather prefer the options of the TRK's with a super fine swiss lace b/c the knots are the biggest concern, and the TRK's would resolve that issue..

Posted By: 2honest
Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 8:41am
Wow!!
You all are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for all the info.

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:31am

Sexi is right.. The silk is not more or less susceptible to staining tan the lace from the things done to the hair (dying, colorlifting, bleach etc). You just have to bel careful like you would be not to get these substances onto the lace.. My experience from wearing these type of closures is that sweat stains are also not an issue..

but in my opinion the TRK's are the better options at least for me, b/c for most lace wig wear'ers the biggest concern are the knots.. some really are afraid to bleach them, and the visibility is another problem.. the silk base is an option for an alternative to hiding them better b/c of the holes being smaller, but they aren't totally invisible as i can see from the pictures.. i'd personally much rather prefer the options of the TRK's with a super fine swiss lace b/c the knots are the biggest concern, and the TRK's would resolve that issue..
And those pics from Holly are similar, but not quite like the wigs and closures I've seen from other vendors (including Extensions Plus). In the silk based wigs and closures I've seen from other vendors and Extensions Plus, the knots are COMPLETELY invisible because the silk base material is not SHEER. (therefore the knots are completely hidden -- the base is still VERY lightweight)

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:37am
Yes diva but most lf wear'ers don't buy them from Extension's Plus b/c they are high and expensive.. we normally deal with chinese vendor's and/or some american vendors that are a little more cost effective, but not at the same prices as EP.. but even with the options of the silk its gonna tact on a little extra cost even with the chinese b/c the venilation process is harder than the lace... not to mention the other extra's we normally opt for.. i only know of one lady that has ordered a LF from EP.. it was about 2 to 3 grand or more.. girl we ain't ballin like that over hair LOL i mean i could if i wanted too, but i have shoe addictions too, i can't be spending all my addiction money in once place.. LOL

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:44am

Yes diva but most lf wear'ers don't buy them from Extension's Plus b/c they are high and expensive.. we normally deal with chinese vendor's and/or some american vendors that are a little more cost effective, but not at the same prices as EP.. but even with the options of the silk its gonna tact on a little extra cost even with the chinese b/c the venilation process is harder than the lace... not to mention the other extra's we normally opt for..
I realize that not everyone is gonna purchase from Extensions Plus, but I also said that there are CVs that offer bases similar to Extensions Plus' bases too.. On the closure side of the house as consumers are becoming more aware of better more realistic options for closure bases, we are starting to see more AVs offer these kinds of bases, and we KNOW that they are sourcing them from CVs. (My Mane Attractions, Halley's Curls, and Curlz Gone Wild all come to mind -- Halleys Curls even offers wigs with partial silk fronts now) These same CVs making these closures also make wigs on these silk bases.. So it's just a matter of finding out which CVs make closures/wigs on silk bases that aren't sheer silk so that the knots are invisible..

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:48am
ok i see what your saying, and thanks for that information.. Wink for me i'm gonna get me a vendor that can do the TRK's that's what i'm more interested in for the long hall, b/c if i can get these Chinese Vendor's up on this technique i'll be satisfied.. LOL the silk is fine but i'd rather have the newest technology for the TRK and i'm giving all the information i find to the chinese vendor's i know in hopes that they can offer that for my units in the very, very near future... thanks again for you wisdom your the best!

Posted By: DonnaB63
Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 10:58am
Sexi & Divavocals, you guys are on point with your knowledge, thanks for sharingClap   
I have my work cut out for me as well.  I was in the middle of exploring "Vaccum" units that require no adhesive at all, but it is very expensive and the hairline isn't all that realistic (bangs are a definite option).  I think the silk and TRK's are a better option for right now.  thanks againBig%20smile

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:01am

Sexi & Divavocals, you guys are on point with your knowledge, thanks for sharingClap   
I have my work cut out for me as well.  I was in the middle of exploring "Vaccum" units that require no adhesive at all, but it is very expensive and the hairline isn't all that realistic (bangs are a definite option).  I think the silk and TRK's are a better option for right now.  thanks againBig%20smile
Happy to share girl.. Tongue

ETA: Check out the units with partial silk in the front.. They have a combo of silk and lace in the front and they are meant to allow you to glue the front of the wig down while giving you a realistic parting are without any additional modifications needed.. (These units are very similar to the units Halleys curls now offers -- though I'm sure other CVs will offer you this option as well)

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:08am

yep i looked at those too, but it kind of unrealistic for me b/c i got hair but i'm definitely schooling the chinese vendors so they can start offering the TRK.. i'll be in heaven as soon as they do.. mostly b/c i think this will work very effectively with my natural part tecnique for the steri strip having that additional layer of mesh to make the color adjustable, and plus its essential for the knots to be totally invisible for that technique to work! it will knock the ball out of the park with that added to it.. flawless app's to boot.

Posted By: mslady
Date Posted: April 12 2008 at 5:40am
MsMahagoney--

You are correct those pictures are from Marie67 fokti.  She's a member on BHM.  I remember when she posted a topic about them and she purchased the silk based closure from Halle's Curl.

Date Posted: April 12 2008 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by mslady mslady wrote:

MsMahagoney--

You are correct those pictures are from Marie67 fokti.  She's a member on BHM.  I remember when she posted a topic about them and she purchased the silk based closure from Halle's Curl.

LOLLOL I knew that I had seen them elsewhere and not from a vendor "so to speak"!  I thought they were hers but I couldn't find them in her fotki so I chalked it up as maybe being misinformed!

Thanks!

Posted By: amazon1147
Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 1:33pm
So are the silk bases and monofilament 2 different bases? or are they 1 in the same? (from the pictures that i have seen online thus far they look similar)

-and if they are different what is difference between mono and the silk bases.

Posted By: ShowStoppers
Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 5:57pm
You go girls, I may need to try the silk base though

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 5:59pm
i like mono and it also comes in silk.. so they aren't the same but mono has different types of materials it comes in, but it also comes in silk.. personally the silk is cool but i still want that TRK..

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:17pm
thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units.

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:17pm

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:18pm
thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units and

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:18pm

Date Posted: April 19 2008 at 10:02am
Originally posted by amazon1147 amazon1147 wrote:

So are the silk bases and monofilament 2 different bases? or are they 1 in the same? (from the pictures that i have seen online thus far they look similar)

-and if they are different what is difference between mono and the silk bases.

Monofilament material (which can be silk mono) is still a somewhat sheer material. It does hide the knots well because of the density of the weave of the monofilament material, but often the scalp area in monofilament pieces (wigs and closures) does not look like a natural scalp. This is because monofilament material is somewhat sheer, and it does not look like a natural scalp.. SOME (not all) wigmakes will add another layer of flesh colored fabric to monofilament pieces to give a more natural scalp appearance.

The silk bases on the other hand do not require an additional piece of fabric to give a natural scalp appearance. These pieces (wigs & closures) will have the most natural scalp appearance because the base material looks more like natural skin to begin with.

Date Posted: April 20 2008 at 4:29pm
Thanks Diva.

Posted By: Electric Beauty
Date Posted: April 20 2008 at 8:25pm
i was speaking to a vendor about silk bases. He said he was familiar with the silk method but only on kosher jewish wigs. He said his company uses Chinese silk instead of Swiss lace,and the knots are hidden,the hair seems grow from the skin. Would this be the same thing?

Date Posted: April 20 2008 at 8:30pm
He sent me pictures. I'll post them when I figure out how.

-
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/randyb92@yahoo.com/6b50ARlIcYe-cwxGfWaWIx1cclwwgXsnvAfHv4xQp5Fd3Ig=">randyb92@yahoo.com%20picture  
http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/14/009/3E/FE/13/0C/s8PoWBXmxNLw7-fQgVvHn2qSoOI-5dcl00A0.jpg - http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/14/009/3E/FE/13/0C/s8PoWBXmxNLw7-fQgVvHn2qSoOI-5dcl00A0.jpg

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Electric Beauty Electric Beauty wrote:

i was speaking to a vendor about silk bases. He said he was familiar with the silk method but only on kosher jewish wigs. He said his company uses Chinese silk instead of Swiss lace,and the knots are hidden,the hair seems grow from the skin. Would this be the same thing?
This is exactly the same thing we have been speaking of (when talking about silk bases)..

BTW.. the pic you posted is a LOT too small to see clearly.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 4:06pm
Thank you DV. here is a bigger pic.  Kosher wigs are usually so expensive , but I think I will look into their offers. Thanks again.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:10pm
kosher wigs tend to last longer. I have read women say that they gotten several years of wear out of them. I think one of the reasons for this is because they do not use asian or indian hair to make the wigs. If you are interested in a kosher wig. Savvy sheitel  is a company that tends to offer less expensive.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by happydesta happydesta wrote:

kosher wigs tend to last longer. I have read women say that they gotten several years of wear out of them. I think one of the reasons for this is because they do not use asian or indian hair to make the wigs. If you are interested in a kosher wig. Savvy sheitel  is a company that tends to offer less expensive.

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two, b/c of the belief in which the indian women give their hair to the temple it can cause a holy war..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2006/06/07/wigs_pose_dilemma_for_religious_jewish_women/ - http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2006/06/07/wigs_pose_dilemma_for_religious_jewish_women/

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:37pm

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

You are right about that. The only thing I do not understand is why does european hair tend to tangle less often than Indian/Asian hair. I hardly ever hear orthodox jewish women complaining about getting tangles in wigs. Maybe they are getting a better grade of hair than we are?

Posted By: MassGal
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:35pm
I just got my partial silk unit from Halley's Curls today. It looks so pretty; the front is amazing--I can't wait to wear it but I am lovin' my kinky straight from Lace Unit Illusions right now.

I wish the Halley's texture was more coarse--have to wash & condition it before wearing  soo hopefully it will lose some its silkiness.

Got my  AMEX in hand waiting  to order one of the Lindsays from fixinheads too--then I've met lacefront limit until the fall.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:50pm

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

You are right about that. The only thing I do not understand is why does european hair tend to tangle less often than Indian/Asian hair. I hardly ever hear orthodox jewish women complaining about getting tangles in wigs. Maybe they are getting a better grade of hair than we are?

but the russia and european hair is thinner and silky.. really the only reason indian might tangle is only if the cuticle is not aligned.. other than that, i've had align cuticled hair, and its indian and chinese that doesn't tangle.. i think sometimes b/c we're not buying in bulk and just based on individual orders, unless you have a great relationship with your CV, you're going to get units made with waste hair.. which means hair that has fallen to the floor and therefore the cuticle is not align b/c they can't tell once that happens which way is up! bulk order customer's are always going to get the best quality b/c they are buying bigger bulk orders, unless like i said you have a good relationship with your chinese vendor..

Posted By: Clueless77
Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:55pm
This is a lot of good info ladies.

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:47pm
I agree with Sexi.. Most Kosher wigs last longer because they are made using higher quality standards in the construction. Their durability is not  simply due to the fact that they use European hair... The use of European hair is most definitely a religious consideration as Sexi has already stated. Sheitels worn by Orothodox Jewish women must be constructed from hair which has been certified kosher by a rabbi. Because nearly all Indian hair is harvested in a pagan (AKA polytheistic) ritual, it cannot be certified kosher.. This has less to do with potential religious wars as it does the decree of an influential rabbi.

Kosher wig makers take care to use the best quality hair and the hair is not mishandled so that the cuticles remain aligned.. It is a misstatement to say that ALL Indian or ALL Asian hair tangles.. If you spend enough time with Asian and Indian people, you will see that they do not spend all day brushing and attending to their hair.. They do not deal with hair tangling at the nape, and they don't have NEARLY the problems we see reported when styling their own hair.. This alone ought to tell us that it's not simply about the ethnic source of the hair.

In other words the HYPE that many vendors push forth about various ethnicities is just noise used to sell product.. Unfortunately vendors of all kinds of hair (Indian, European, Asian, Russian, etc) still like to put forth the idea that any one ethnicity is THE hair your should have..

The truth is there are many GREAT choices for hair and ethnic origin is only ONE of many factors you should be looking at when buying hair products.. Misaligned cuticles are an issue regardless if the hair is Indian, European, or Purple People Eater hair.. Poor quality hair is poor quality hair no matter the source.. All of these ethnic sources have hair which is not considered Grade A hair (despite what some vendors say to the contrary). 

IMO the QUALITY of the product trumps the ethnic origin of the hair.. Crappy hair or crappy quality control in the construction will lead to crappy products no matter WHAT ethnic orgin the hair is.. Ethnic origin may factor into other important features such as religious concerns (as in the case of sheitels),  hair textures, and personal preferences..

Date Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Electric Beauty Electric Beauty wrote:

Thank you DV. here is a bigger pic.  Kosher wigs are usually so expensive , but I think I will look into their offers. Thanks again.

Ahhh this pic is much better!!!Tongue 

Keep in mind that these units in this picture are not applied with tape or glue as a lace wig would be.. Though for women suffering from alopecia, these wigs certainly could be bonded in place.. (I've seen an install of one of a similar type of unit using tape on a woman who has alopecia )

Posted By: Walk Softly
Date Posted: April 23 2008 at 6:41pm

Another reason these wigs last longer is that the women who wear them usually don't sleep in them, they are to cover the head when in public.  I had a yaffa wig, well constructed and expensive, made with russian hair.  It lasted longer imo only because of the cap construction.  The hair was too european for my tastes though.

Posted By: luvmylf
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:39am

Are there shedding concerns with these caps? I do not see how the knots can be sealed.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by luvmylf luvmylf wrote:

Are there shedding concerns with these caps? I do not see how the knots can be sealed.

I just ordered a custom silk base from a vendor who told me that most of these have shedding issues. She strongly recommended sealing the knots. I told her I use acrylic spray & she said it would be a better option than hair spray which can be drying.

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 5:18pm
Forgot to add this: I was told that a tea bag is an alternative way to tint the silk.

I have to work up by Halley's Curls silk base over Mother's Day weekend
( silk base too light for my tone, hair too straight & long but a nicely made unit overall). I will post before & after pics.

Posted By: stacyrockette
Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 8:10pm
Clap

-------------
Happy To Be Here Now Pass Me My Pad and Pencil..

Date Posted: May 04 2008 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by luvmylf luvmylf wrote:

The construction of many of these pieces do not allow you to seal them the same way you seal lace based pieces.. That said, if these pieces are well constructed there is no knot sealing needed. These pieces will have less shedding because of the density of the base material used. I have three silk based closures from Extensions Plus, and I have not needed to seal any of them..

-------------
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Posted By: NClady
Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:19am
I got to get me one of these..Thanks ladies for the information.

-------------
Bangles and Stilettos

Posted By: fakeizme
Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:17pm

The truth is there are many GREAT choices for hair and ethnic origin is only ONE of many factors you should be looking at when buying hair products.. Misaligned cuticles are an issue regardless if the hair is Indian, European, or Purple People Eater hair.. Poor quality hair is poor quality hair no matter the source.. All of these ethnic sources have hair which is not considered Grade A hair (despite what some vendors say to the contrary). 

OK...where can I get some of that Purple People Eater hair!!???LOL

No, but seriously, I love everything you said in this post DivaV. It's so spot on. I think a lot of people are falling for that cr*p about Chinese/Indian hair being worse or better than other types of hair. I hear so much said about Chinese hair used for BSS hair, but that doesn't mean it bad or cheap hair; I think it may just be more abundant.

-------------
Love clip-ins and tape!

Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

OK...where can I get some of that Purple People Eater hair!!???LOL

No, but seriously, I love everything you said in this post DivaV. It's so spot on. I think a lot of people are falling for that cr*p about Chinese/Indian hair being worse or better than other types of hair. I hear so much said about Chinese hair used for BSS hair, but that doesn't mean it bad or cheap hair; I think it may just be more abundant.

Girl you didn't see when I posted pictures of my Purple People Eater install??? Think Barney meets Chaka Khan!LOLLOLLOL

Thanks girl.. I think that vendors do a horrible job of telling the truth about hair. Many are too busy trying to sell their product by putting down any alternative product. Instead of letting their product stand on it's own, they bolster their product by pointing out how crappy they think the other product is.. Too often many hair vendors use stereotypes and HALF truths to support their positions..

LOL

-------------
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Posted By: illusion
Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:52am
so are the perimeters on this wig lace? or how do you still get that natural hairline? 

-------------
aka slikchik

Posted By: JadeVetti
Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:07pm
 I have 2 questions.

One:  What is TRK?

Two:  What's the website addy for Extensions Plus and Lace Unit Illusions?

-------------
I Am Jade Vetti.

Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:17pm
TRK = Triple Reversed Knots

http://extensions-plus.com

-------------

Posted By: JadeVetti
Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:23pm
Thanks DivaVocals--

-------------
I Am Jade Vetti.

Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:29pm
More info and pics..

http://www.yiweidu.com/Pages/LaceWigsKnowledge.aspx#hairKnots

If you Google "hidden knots" ot "triple reveresed knots" or "silk injected" You will find LOTS of info and pics..

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by JadeVetti JadeVetti wrote:

Thanks DivaVocals--
Wink Y/W

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:33pm
MORE information:

Hidden Lace Wigs (Invisible Lace Wigs) Cap Constructions:

• Hidden Knots in top, Stretch Lace from top to back, Without extra lace in front
  • Hidden Knots in top, Swiss Lace from top to back, Without extra lace in front
    Yiweidu%20Hidden%20Lace%20Wigs

• Hidden Knots in top, Stretch Lace from top to back, With extra Swiss lace in front
  • Hidden Knots in top, Swiss Lace from top to back, With extra Swiss lace in front
    Yiweidu%20Hidden%20Lace%20Wigs

Hidden%20Knots%203

Hidden Knots

(the hidden knots is a technic that the knots are hidden into three layers lace,we can't see the knots, it need not bleach knots,so it is helpful to protect hair)

-------------

Posted By: intl_babygirl
Date Posted: May 15 2008 at 1:43pm
this just reminds me of sewing the stocking to the cap ...

-------------
hmm ... http://public.fotki.com/intlbabygirl/

Date Posted: May 15 2008 at 6:05pm
But these bases are much more realistic looking than a wig with a stocking cap attached to it.. I can lay my "doctored" lace closures next to my silk injected closures, and the differences are immediately apparent..

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 1:56pm
Thanks Divavocals for info. You and sexi are awesome.

Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:06pm
Please know that even tho http://www.yiweidu.com/ - http://www.yiweidu.com/  is doing the TRK's their quality in the past has been very poor as far as construction and hair quality, some units the hair fell out in 3 weeks bald spots and all and blamed it on our water, so know that.. they didn't always have the best feedback in that area.. and they built up their business and immediately went to 3 wig min.. now their trying to rebuild their business here in the US again, i hope its better than it has been but as of last summer not so hot.. maybe its better who knows, take a chance!

Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:30pm

Happydesta: You're welcome..

Let me be clear.. the pictures and links I posted are meant ONLY to show what these units look like.. So many ladies have PMd me about pics of these units, so I took a Google trip and in ONE search located pictures from two vendors and an EBay auction.. I was less interested in WHO the vendor was, and mostly interested in the INFORMATION and PICTURES I could steal borrow to share with the forum.. They should help some of you who have asked to understand what these units look like and a little bit about how they are constructed.. As I find more info, I will post the information..

-------------

Posted By: Bella8933
Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:30pm
The thing is .... you need the invisable knots mostly AT your hair line and where your 'part' begins ... but these units have Swiss lace (as usual) at the hairline and then an inch back - they start with the invisable knots?

This makes no sense.

Besides that, I've found that the lighter the cap .. the better. If I have Swiss lace all over .. the unit is as light as a feather - but with the stretch panel .. it become substaintially heaver.

I wear my natural hair very short so the lfs are light weight in my head and are flushed to my scalp.... but if I had a substaintial amount of growth or were growing my hair out ... the mesh stretch units would be too bulky for me.

Just my thoughts. :)

Date Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Bella8933 Bella8933 wrote:

The thing is .... you need the invisable knots mostly AT your hair line and where your 'part' begins ... but these units have Swiss lace (as usual) at the hairline and then an inch back - they start with the invisable knots?

This makes no sense.

Besides that, I've found that the lighter the cap .. the better. If I have Swiss lace all over .. the unit is as light as a feather - but with the stretch panel .. it become substaintially heaver.

I wear my natural hair very short so the lfs are light weight in my head and fkushed to my scalp.... but if I had a substainal amount of growth or were growing my hair out ... the mesh stretch units would be too bulky for me.
That is only ONE of many variations on these units.. It's by no means the ONLY way they come.. You can in fact have them made with the invisible knots all the way to the hairline..

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2008 at 7:33am

Divavocals you freakin ROCK!!! Thanks for the info & pics.

FYI - I have seen nomindstudio's hidden knots unit as it was sent to me in error when I last ordered from them via ebay. It was very nice but the color & texture were  wrong for me ( like a 6 mix & very straight hair). Was hard to send it back...

You & meangurl76  have gotten me hooked on silk caps now!

I've bought three in the past month or so.

Date Posted: May 19 2008 at 7:55am
Originally posted by MassGal MassGal wrote:

FYI - I have seen nomindstudio's hidden knots unit as it was sent to me in error when I last ordered from them via ebay. It was very nice but the color & texture were  wrong for me ( like a 6 mix & very straight hair). Was hard to send it back...

Awww thanks girl..Embarrassed Glad I could be of help.. Three silk capped units?? That's VERY cool..Clap Pics??

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:27am

Awww thanks girl..Embarrassed Glad I could be of help.. Three silk capped units?? That's VERY cool..Clap Pics??

I took some pics of me wearing the Halley's silk unit which I will post soon.

According to USPS my Lindsay is at my local post office so I should get it today or tomorrow. I plan to wear the Lindsay for the holiday weekend so will take pics Friday & post them all together.

My 3rd  unit is a custom light yaki which should be ready in another 2 weeks or so.

I am thinking about getting a kinky with the silk base next & then I am finished buying because I am well aware that I am approaching in need of an intervention status!

Thanks fo much for all the info!!

Date Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:55am

I took some pics of me wearing the Halley's silk unit which I will post soon.

According to USPS my Lindsay is at my local post office so I should get it today or tomorrow. I plan to wear the Lindsay for the holiday weekend so will take pics Friday & post them all together.

My 3rd  unit is a custom light yaki which should be ready in another 2 weeks or so.

I am thinking about getting a kinky with the silk base next & then I am finished buying because I am well aware that I am approaching in need of an intervention status!

Thanks fo much for all the info!!
LOLLOLLOLLOL too funny!!!

You're welcome girl!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window