Forum Name: Long Hair Care Experts
Forum Description: Directory Of Long Hair Friendly Experts
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=62091
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 7:24pm

Topic: Help! Hair doesn't grow.
Posted By: shazbot
Subject: Help! Hair doesn't grow.
Date Posted: August 06 2008 at 7:10pm
Hi. I've been dealing with this problem for a while now but I'm just now trying to solve it.

I'm a guy, 26 years old.. I've had long hair for over 10 years now. I have extremely thin/fine hair. And I think the last time I got it trimmed was about 5 or 6 years ago (bad I know).

But my problem is that it just doesn't grow. It's been the same length for nearly the past 5 years.. that is.. shoulder length. A couple people I have talked to said it is probably due to split ends and getting it trimmed should make it start growing again, but I'm not entirely convinced. How far would the split ends go after all that time and how much would I have to cut to get rid of them? I'm afraid if I just cut a bunch off it just wouldn't grow back.

The other problem is I suspect maybe my scalp isn't the healthiest thing. I used to get dandruff pretty bad which was actually psoriasis I think.

So what do the experts here think?
Is it split ends?
Could it be a vitamin deficiency?
Is it some kind of funky skin condition?

Help please!
I realize since my hair is so thin, it probably just can't grow down to my waist.. maybe to the shoulders is as far as it can handle? I'd just like to figure out why it won't grow any longer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Sophia1
Date Posted: August 23 2008 at 11:54pm
Wow.....someone with the same problem I have !!  I used to think I was crazy but I swear my hair has been the same length for years.

First off, trimming it makes no difference how much it grows,,,the new growth has nothing to do with the ends. This is a common fallacy. What people mean is by trimming the ends you are conrolling the amount of breakage on the bottom, so the split ends do not travel further up your hair causing more breakage...but this has nothing to do with the hair growing from the roots.  

I suspect it's really just an illusion your hair is not growing.. Everyones hair grows. Probably it's splitting at the bottom just as fast as it grows. Therefore it is appearing to be at a standstill. Start by conditioning weekly or as much as you can stand concentrating on the ends. This has helped me a little.

I would love to hear any other replies...I have tried vitamins, scalp stimulating. etc.... but honestly I think the rate of hair growth is genetic. I totally sympathize !

Posted By: jack222
Date Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:49pm
well go4 like regular trimmimgs n massage ur hair wid oil bout at least twice a week
hope i kinda helped .......

http://www.sglady.com/categories/Hair-Related/ - Hair Styling Products

Print Page | Close Window