Print Page | Close Window

Chem straightened and dyed hair - man needs help!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Curly Hair Talk
Forum Name: Straight Talk
Forum Description: Get the straight talk on hair straightening products & techniques
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=69815
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 2:05pm

Topic: Chem straightened and dyed hair - man needs help!
Posted By: sirscott111
Subject: Chem straightened and dyed hair - man needs help!
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 7:02am
Hi,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this!

I am a Caucasian male, with extremely think, wiry and curly hair - I always get a comment from hairdressers about how they've never seen hair like mine before!

Anyhow, I've been straightening my hair with PhytoSpecific Index 2 - which apparently uses plant extracts to straighten like a chemical would, but is kinder to your hair.

I have two problems... the first is that although my hair is straight now, it is still very think and frizzy, and I can't grow it as long as I'd like. It's currently about 2 inches long, any longer than this and it becomes too 'big' and uncontrollable. Ideally I'd like to grow it to 5 or 6 inches. Is there anything else I can do to help thin it out and make the hair a bit more flexible?

Also, since straightening it, my hair has lost it's colour slightly. It was dark brown and it went light brown/ginger. In an attempt to rectify this I tried to dye it dark brown again, with a standard dye from the supermarket. Although it got darker, I now have a horrible red tint to it, which it amplified when standing under lights. It is really horrible! Is there anything I can do to keep it dark brown and stop the red tone?

As you can probably tell, I don't have much of a clue, so any help would be greatly received.

Thank you!
Scott

Replies:
Posted By: Ericachristina
Date Posted: March 13 2012 at 8:53pm

Hi Scott,

Well since you got no suggestions for your issue I’ll give it a try...

To thin out your hair maybe you can ask your hair stylist about trying another style? What about a cut that will thin it out a bit?

You can try straightening it with a flat iron too, usually that makes the hair look a bit smoother and sometimes flattened.

Your hair won’t grow very long if it is damaged though. Using chemicals and dye on your hair isn’t good for it; it causes damage that can stunt hair growth. So if you want it to grow you have to take very good care of it.

For the wiry texture you also have to take good care of your hair, use a very good deep conditioner and some oils this will help soften it up a bit and help it become more flexible.

Use a good finishing product after you style your hair, like an oil or serum that gives you moisture but is light weight and makes your hair feel better and look smoother.

Print Page | Close Window