Print Page | Close Window

Forum needs a makeover

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Feedback/Suggestions
Forum Description: Let us know what you think of this site.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=72139
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 9:34am

Topic: Forum needs a makeover
Posted By: Ericachristina
Subject: Forum needs a makeover
Date Posted: January 21 2013 at 7:39pm
This forum needs a boost to get people posting new interesting topics to get some discussions going. There has been nothing new and interesting on this forum for some time now...

Replies:
Posted By: stevieb
Date Posted: January 22 2013 at 11:32am
You know, part of me agrees with you. I bet the biggest concern of the owner is if they upgrade, will they lost posts? They should be able to upgrade without losing anything, but you do have to be careful. My first experience of upgrading one of my scripts did not go well. Now I can do it with my eyes closed, but I must admit I do hold my breath a little every time I upgrade.

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: January 23 2013 at 9:29am
Hi Stevieb,

Yes you are absolutely correct.  We have spent over a year looking at ways to update the forum and it is about 99% likely we will lose all the old posts which date back for over 10 years.

That breaks my heart since HairBoutique.com has been here since 1997 and many people tell us that they come to the HairTalk forum for the old threads which contain lots of great historical hair information.

Erica....thanks for your feedback.  We do try hard to keep things going, but if you have ideas please email me at shelton@hairboutique.com and I will be very appreciative of your ideas.  Or you can send me a HairTalk board message.

Thanks for all the feedback. 

We do want to keep this forum open for our visitors and we are always trying to make things better.

Have a great rest of the week & thank you for your loyalty and interest.
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: Ricc
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 1:13pm
I'm sorry you may be loosing some past material, Karen, but I can see why you're thinking of changing things. Someone once suggested this is a "dead" forum and I replyed that I think there's plenty of life here, but it's spread a bit too thin.

I've participated in many, many forums over the years and have seen some patterns in their evolutions. Early forums were simple single thread structures from which tree topics grew. Later, software emerged that allowed webmasters to create as many divisions as they might want.

I just counted some 148 forum subdivisions here at HairTalk. To me that's clearly far too many for number of participants. I'm fairly certain you would have a much stronger group with fewer, more generalized topic subdivisions. I think this would result in a more closenit and active core group.

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: February 17 2013 at 8:26pm
Ricc,

Thanks for your feedback.  The reason we have all the threads we have is because users lobbied for them.   None of the threads were added without specific requests.

In fact in some cases, when I resisted adding new threads, visitors sent me or the HB Admin private messages complaining that we were not paying attention to their topic requests.

After adding all of the various threads visitors requested, others jumped in and complained we had too many threads. 

Yep, after working hard to add all the various topics requested, others were upset we had too many.

I guess it's true you can't please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard you try.  And we did/do try. 

At this point we have invested in new forum software which is currently being tested.  We are currently testing all the admin functionality and if it works well and up to our specs, we will put up a new test forum for long time visitors to try and give us feedback.

So yes, I could remove some of the threads, but then who will address the people who get upset when we do?  There are some threads we will always keep such as Celebrity Hairtalk since we created that specifically at the request of JerkyFlea.

We will also probably keep HairTalk, Hair Color and some of the other popular threads.  As far as how many we keep it is unclear. 

One thing that I hear repeatedly is that even though some threads are no longer active, they have so much great information, people still visit for the information contained in so many years of posts.  I guess we will had to address that issue as well.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: yellow.green
Date Posted: February 18 2013 at 6:08am

HairTalk Is A Safe Haven In The World Of Facebook & Related Social Media

In many ways the HairTalk boards are a safe haven from what has happened to the limping along MySpace, advertising crazed Facebook, spam infested YouTube and even the dangerous hacking which goes on regularly at Twitter. 

Here at HairTalk, except for some spam that the board admins work hard to eliminate as quickly as possible, Hairboutique.com doesn't do any of the extreme marketing things Facebook does.

I find HairTalk to be a safe haven, I use the Private Messenger to send messages I know are completely safe and since HairBoutique.com has been around for 15+ years without charging for use of the HairTalk boards, I don't think they are going away anytime soon.

Although unappreciative HT users post that the board needs a facelift, think about Facebook which is huge, but is also struggling in its own way and they have millions...billions of dollars to spend. 

Statistics have shown in the USA and other English speaking countries FB has reached saturation point and popularity is is starting to flat-line and decline.  Statistics are indicating that eventually FB may go the way of MySpace with massive loss of interest and loss of users/posts to pages and support of the huge network.

Here at Hairtalk we are spared from so much of the Social Media Marketing noise which happens by major brands who believe that getting magical likes is the most important thing for their brands. 

Brands really don't care what they post or how often...just so they build their brands.  That really doesn't happen here at HairTalk.  Even HairBoutique is pretty quiet about promoting themselves and they pay for the HT boards which have always been free.

Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube are at the back of the class with the plaintive cry of ”pick me, pick me”.

What you may not have noticed about Facebook and some other related types of boards, forums and similar is that there is an almost unseemly  posting frenzy happening. People and brands are posting images of dogs, cats and aliens just to get attention..any attention on social media such as FB, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube.

That really doesn't happen here at HT unless someone is spamming or blatantly advertising...which is removed. 

I actually appreciate the peace and quiet here at HairTalk which has very meaningful posts when they do occur. 

Facebook recently adjusted its “Edgerank” calculation that determines what FB posts appear in Fan’s timelines. The free organic Facebook marketing that we all enjoyed has been diminished by Facebook making sure that less of brands updates appear on the Facebook’s fan pages. Updates are now appearing in 15% or less of all timelines.

Some reports indicate that the reduction in the number or FB readers of FB pages updates is in the range of 5-40%.

Facebook owns its network and it will continue to change the rules to suit its vision and commercial interests with a highlight on commercial interests.

Facebook has gone public and the only way Facebook can monetize their platform is through advertising.

Facebook will continue to look at ways of creating revenue that pays the bills because now they have shareholders to placate. Want to reach more fans?… then you will need to start to reach into your pocket and pay the piper.

Facebook’s next steps will include the monetization of the mobile platform Instagram that they paid $1 billion for. Mobile ads are the next frontier.

The reality is that you are just a renting tenant on Facebook and you are there under their very strict rules, terms and conditions.

Break the rules and you pay the price. Recently the pop culture blog and website The Cool Hunter randomly had its Facebook page with over 700,000 fans shutdown over “copyright issues” according to Facebook.

The challenge for brands that are heavily Facebook centric for their social media marketing is that an unexpected “shutdown” can leave a severe dent in traffic to your websites. The Cool Hunter saw a drop in traffic of over 10% when its  Facebook page was shuttered.

Just keep in mind that Facebook doesn’t have a call center for handling complaints. The lights are on but no customer service folk are at home.  HairBoutique.com does and so does HairTalk. 

I know because Karen, Jeff and the web team have all personally answered some of my emails.  I have called their toll free line and talked to some of the customer care people who listened and took notes about a HairTalk problem I was having.

While FB, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest are great, the years how shown that websites come and go but some remain and offer a great place to hangout and share information.

Yes, it's always nice to update or get a face lift, I love that HairTalk has always been free, as long as you following the posting guidelines you are pretty much left alone and it's been here consistently for 15+ years. 

I just wanted to let the HairTalk folks know that I appreciate them for being here and hope they don't go away anytime soon...or ever.

Posted By: Ericachristina
Date Posted: April 15 2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Ricc,Thanks for your feedback.  The reason we have all the threads we have is because users lobbied for them.   None of the threads were added without specific requests. In fact in some cases, when I resisted adding new threads, visitors sent me or the HB Admin private messages complaining that we were not paying attention to their topic requests.After adding all of the various threads visitors requested, others jumped in and complained we had too many threads.  Yep, after working hard to add all the various topics requested, others were upset we had too many.I guess it's true you can't please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard you try.  And we did/do try.  At this point we have invested in new forum software which is currently being tested.  We are currently testing all the admin functionality and if it works well and up to our specs, we will put up a new test forum for long time visitors to try and give us feedback.So yes, I could remove some of the threads, but then who will address the people who get upset when we do?  There are some threads we will always keep such as Celebrity Hairtalk since we created that specifically at the request of JerkyFlea.We will also probably keep HairTalk, Hair Color and some of the other popular threads.  As far as how many we keep it is unclear.  One thing that I hear repeatedly is that even though some threads are no longer active, they have so much great information, people still visit for the information contained in so many years of posts.  I guess we will had to address that issue as well.

Karen,
I can see the dilemma, it is true you can't please everyone.
I just hope the forum picks up and we get some great discussion going

-------------

Print Page | Close Window