Print Page | Close Window

is silk satin pillowcase really helpful for hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Curly Hair Talk
Forum Name: Curly Hair
Forum Description: Curly Heads Unite & Talk About Curls
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81426
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 6:41am

Topic: is silk satin pillowcase really helpful for hair?
Posted By: alybunny
Subject: is silk satin pillowcase really helpful for hair?
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 8:38am
Hello girls, I am new on this forum I registered because I have a small problem and I need your opinion.
I have long curly hair, and in the morning when I wake up is very tangled. Not always, but most of the time it is. A friend of mine insists that a silk pillowcase is very helpful. I researched the web about it and people are promoting these satin and silk pillowcases with magic benefits for your hair. Is anyone here using them? What do you recommend me, silk or satin? And is there any good brand or shop from where I can buy one?

Thank you all
xoxo Aly

-------------
i'm pwetty

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 3:07pm
Hi Alybunny,
There is no right or wrong answer with regard to satin & silk pillowcases.  I don't have super curly hair, but I have wavy/curly hair and it is thigh length right now.  Naturally my hair gets pretty tangled if I don't prep it for sleep.

I have used silk and satin pillowcases.  I like the silk and it does help my tangles, but I don't like the satin because my head tends to slip off of them and I just don't feel comfortable.

Silk is definitely nice although I have found that if you get a pillowcase with a very high thread count like 800, 1,200 or even higher, that seems to help and there is not the slip/slide issues that the satin may cause.

Other options include wearing a satin or silk sleep cap.  I don't personally like sleep caps because they make my head hot, but some people swear by them.

As far as best places to buy....go to Amazon...if you want to buy silk/satin pillowcases or sleep caps, you can get the best prices there.  Ditto with high count pillowcases.

Please let me know if you have more questions.  It is great you are working on preventing tangles because this definitely can cause long term damage.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: mkeilhofer
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 11:14am
Many people with long or textured hair which can easily tangle during sleep will braid their hair (when long enought) to help secure it. If your hair is naturally curly you can also consider pinning it back in a loose bun. Hope that helps.

Posted By: alybunny
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 11:29am
Thank you for your useful information! I will take in consideration everything you two said. I think the next days I will go shopping and try out before buying. Only after I will compare some products I think I will be able to know which one is the best :)
Thaaank you! :)

-------------
i'm pwetty

Posted By: teresimpson
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 3:23am
Hi Alybunny,

Sleeping can really do a number on long or textured hair if you don't make sure it's protected in some way.  You may see references here to Protective Hair Styles. 

In the long hair/naturally textured/natural hair world, protective hair styles are designed to simply protect your hair from tangling, which can cause breakage & hair shedding/loss. 

Many in the Long/NT/NH world believe sleeping can be one of the most challenging times for protecting hair.  Hence they recommend silk/satin pillow cases and/or bed clothes or sleep caps or wearing hair braided, bunned or wrapped.

Some of those things can really help.  It depends upon the person, their hair, their sleep habits and what they feel comfortable in.

If you don't like a sleep cap or silk/satin pillowcases, to just take the time to carefully detangle your hair before you go to bed and braid it, wrap it or bun it can at least protect it from getting tangled, ripped or damaged while you sleep.

Of course if you create a solution which prevents you from getting a good night's sleep, it doesn't really matter, you'll still lose in the end because getting good sleep is also important for healthy vibrant hair.

Posted By: luxolots12
Date Posted: March 14 2024 at 2:00am
Originally posted by teresimpson teresimpson wrote:

Hi Alybunny,

Sleeping can really do a number on long or textured hair if you don't make sure it's protected in some way.  You may see references here to Protective Hair Styles. 

In the long hair/naturally textured/natural hair world, protective hair styles are designed to simply protect your hair from tangling, which can cause breakage & hair shedding/loss. 

Many in the Long/NT/NH world believe sleeping can be one of the most challenging times for protecting hair.  Hence they recommend silk/satin pillow cases and/or bed clothes or sleep caps or wearing hair braided, bunned or wrapped.

Some of those things can really help.  It depends upon the person, their hair, their sleep habits and what they feel comfortable in.

If you don't like a sleep cap or silk/satin pillowcases to just take the time to carefully detangle your hair before you go to bed and braid it, wrap it or bun it can at least protect it from getting tangled, ripped or damaged while you sleep. You could try wearing a http://ozdurag.com" rel="nofollow -

Print Page | Close Window