Forum Name: Work, Work, Work
Forum Description: Job & Career Related Musings
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81572
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 4:58am

Topic: Have You Been Bullied At Work?
Posted By: *Chani*
Subject: Have You Been Bullied At Work?
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 2:40am

The latest research from the Workplace Bullying Institute http://www.workplacebullying.org/ - (WBI), released in February of 2014 shows 27% of adult Americans have directly experienced “repeated abusive conduct that is threatening, intimidating, humiliating, work sabotage or work abuse.”

And Dr. Namie, Director of WBI and widely regarded as North America’s foremost authority on workplace bullying, stresses this figure would have been far higher, if he had been less stringent with the definition.

Bullying is extremely hard to define. It can cover a raft of abusive behaviour, from obvious horribleness, such as shouting, hectoring and physical maltreatment. Right through to a devious spectrum of Machiavellian, psychological techniques, designed to break the victim from the inside. This can include too much work, too little work, ill-defined expectations, constantly changing the goal posts, along with the usual schoolyard fare of whispering in corners and making people feel worthless.

There is no overt legislation against it, and not only is it difficult to prove, it often takes the recipient a long time to realise it is really happening.  “I was paranoid. I had depression,” explains Alex. It had a terrible effect on me. To the point where it made me question my sanity.”

There is some evidence to suggest that whilst this problem exists everywhere.

Have you been bullied at work?  How did it manifest?  What did you do about it?  Did you suffer in silence, quit our job or do something else?

Replies:
Posted By: mariechin1234
Date Posted: December 30 2014 at 9:05pm
Yes, they made me work the harder task and I was so traumatized at first. I just overcome it by doing things I know which later enhanced my skills and knowledge. I did not quit my job. 

Print Page | Close Window