Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81769
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 3:01am

Topic: Hair Color Prep
Posted By: silver_beetle
Subject: Hair Color Prep
Date Posted: September 07 2014 at 11:44am
I was told by a stylist that there are non-lightening developers out there to open the cuticle so demi-permanent color stays a bit longer. I do not need to bleach first because most of my hair is naturally silver. Does anyone have a suggestion for brands & what I should be looking for? I see developers with volumes listed on the Sally Beauty Supply website, but I don't know if that's for use with bleach.

The stylist who told me this gave me a terrible cut that I had to have fixed by a student at Aveda Institute (the student did a much better job than the so-called professional), so I don't necessarily trust anything she had to say about color. Any advice from pros? People who have successfully done developer as a first step to demi-permanent (like Pravana or Ion colors)?

Replies:
Posted By: vividamnesia
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 4:52am
10 volume/3% peroxide is the standard 1level or max deposit strength that roughs up the cuticle enough to deposit color to hair shaft without lifting like a 20-40 vol.6-12% would. These developers/peroxides, are used for both coloring & bleaching services. The strength is the determiner of desired chemical service. Peroxide comes in clear or cream, you want cream as its healthier & a better emollient for color application its more stable too.

If your hair is silver, this means you have white/no pigment hair strands amongst your leftover pigmented hair that has not yet lost its pigment making a lightgrey/silver look to your hair. Unless you are 1 of those rare folk whom has a sudden silver/white natural color change that typically happens in early-mid teens.

There are some mens color like Redkens color camo that comes in natural ash tones light,med,dark that works in 10 mins as a demi that does not color the whole head of hair as a solid 1 tone color but makes grey/silver &the natural color look less grey/silver leaving some of the grey/silver & still natural looking with the silver but not as much silver.......Hope this helps you out a bit:)

-------------
JMcC2

Posted By: silver_beetle
Date Posted: September 27 2014 at 12:18pm
"Unless you are 1 of those rare folk whom has a sudden silver/white natural color change that typically happens in early-mid teens."

My hair started turning to silver when I was about 15 years old! I appreciate your response, this will help me... as to making something look "natural", I'm headed in the direction of turquoise, so that won't be possible (or necessary)! LOL

Print Page | Close Window