Print Page | Close Window

Should I Tell Her Or Not?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8297
Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 8:40pm

Topic: Should I Tell Her Or Not?
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Should I Tell Her Or Not?
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:38pm
This relates to hair politics in an odd way.I am a 27 year old man and I am balding terribly. I have been corresponding with a woman I met on one of the hair boards and when she asked me for a photo, I sent her one that did not show my thinning hair.It shows my hair, but not how badly it has thinned in the last 2 years since the photo ws taken.Things are going well, but I have had so many women get turned off by my lack of hair that I am worried about what to do. Do I tell her before we get to the "let's meet" which is about here and give her a chance to back out or do I meet her and let her be the judge.It bums me out how people are so judgemental about hair loss. Yes, I have tried Propecia and other things, but my dad was completely bald by my age so I think I am doomed.Thanks,Thomas,Karen & Jeff - great forum.

Replies:
Posted By: Ally
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:38pm
Thomas--There are two possibilities: One is that this woman won't care about your hairline. The other is that she will. It's not an issue of her being "judgmental." We all have our own beauty aesthetic, and it's a difficult thing to override. For example, I'm not attracted to blond men or short men. There's nothing wrong with them; it's just my taste. If an online romantic prospect sent me a picture of someone tall, dark, and handsome--and told me it was him--and then he turned out to be stout and fair-haired when I met him, I'd be disappointed.On the other hand, if he sent me an accurate likeness, I'd know from the outset that he's not my usual type. I might forgo meeting him, OR I might decide that I liked him enough to see him anyway. I'd get used to the idea that he's not my "type." There would be no unpleasant shock factor when we finally met.Either way, you have to tell her or send an updated photo. You're actually setting yourself up to get hurt this way.Try not to dismiss her as superficial. No doubt you have physical preferences and hangups too.Good luck,Ally

-------------