Print Page | Close Window

Religious pressure on women to keep long hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8349
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 5:30pm

Topic: Religious pressure on women to keep long hair
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Religious pressure on women to keep long hair
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
There has been a lot of discussion lately about the existance of "social pressure" on women to cut their long hair. Dave has perhaps been the most outspoken proponent of this theory, and several others seem to agree.Now, in another thread, Jerky Flea has raised the issue of social pressure on women to NOT cut their long hair. This made sense to me, as per an experience in my own past (when I was a much different person than I am now, and due to my experiences growing up, felt the need to exert strong control over my environment).Anyway, I have a co-worker whose wife has very long hair, and she keeps it long because he MAKES her do it! Well, he does not physically force her NOT to cut it, but he and his friends from his church seem to be exerting pressure on that whole group of wives to NOT cut their hair for religous/social purposes.They are members of a charismatic christian church (sect or cult may be a better phrase to use!), and I asked him about the reasoning.Well, they actually seem to believe that god has ordained that a woman's long hair is a sign of her submission to her husband's authority! No joke.Definitely, this is one of the most bizarre things I have heard in a while.BTW, these women DO cut their hair, they just don't cut it SHORT. They are all good looking, stylish, well dressed, normal-acting, with pretty hair that is healthy, and in some cases permed or colored....they keep their hair long (below the shoulders and longer) to placate their husband's religous beliefs (and presumably they actually believe this stuff too).Comments????

Replies: