Print Page | Close Window

Hair Cuts - The Dark Side

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8350
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 6:44pm

Topic: Hair Cuts - The Dark Side
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Subject: Hair Cuts - The Dark Side
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Hi everyone.....I have been reading all the posts below about Mandatory Waiting Periods for Hair and Short Hair is Not The End of the World.First I need to tell you all that even though he is "the man behind the curtain" for HB, Jeff is a very funny guy. He has a very dry and sharp wit. So I know that he was mostly kidding. Although I also know that he reads a lot of the email that comes into me at Hair Boutique and some of it is very sad and very tragic.I had one bride-to-be who had been growing her hair to her waist only to decide to "do something drastic" for her wedding. She went to a new salon and told them to "do something wonderful".They cut it to bob length and she cried for days. She seriously considered calling off the wedding and she told me in email that she would have to remember that horrible hair cut the rest of her life.....every time she looked at her wedding pictures. She said her husband-to-be was being very kind about it, but he had loved to brush and braid her beautiful previously long hair.I had very little to console her with. Her only options at that point was to wear a wig, get extensions or find a style that she could live with for her newly short hair. This was done on a complete whim.Second case in point. My massage therapist. She is a beautiful girl who used to have long blonde hair to her midback. About 1 month ago she showed up at my house and her hair was chopped to heck. I didn't say anthing and then she volunteered. She said, gosh I told them to make it look great...and instead it was uneven, layered to death and back and wouldn't do anything. Except stick up in odd places.Last week she showed up with hair that was about 1 inch long all around. This time she told them to even it out.I had nothing I could say to her at this point. If she asks them to cut any more, she will have no hair at all.This makes me so sad and so angry.So when someone says that there is nothing wrong with short hair. I agree. I have seem some gorgeous women with beautiful short cuts. But I suspect that they planned their hair to look that way and didn't go in with waist length hair and spontenaously emerge with chopped up bobs to their ears.A lot of stylists that specialize in long hair will NOT cut your hair more than a trim until you go home and think about it. The current long hair expert I have will not cut my hair more than a trim and usually a trim is 1/4th of an inch.I have read many emails to AskKaren & HB from heartbroken women that went into a salon for "something new and kewl" and emerged chopped to death and very very upset.Most women don't immediately get over it. If I could print some of my emails I think people could see that it can be a painful reminder for some time.I want to thank all of you for a great thread and for supporting Jeff and I here at Hair Boutique. We couldn't do it without you all and believe me, we do appreciate you all very much.Best wishes,Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Replies: