Print Page | Close Window

Bad Hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8355
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 1:50am

Topic: Bad Hair
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Bad Hair
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:49pm
The thread of on good hair prompted me to relate my own good/bad hair experience. My parents are a Black/White couple and I inherited the so called good hair.I have mostly straight hair with a slight wave to it. My mother was determined I would have even straighter hair. Almost every day she used a straightening iron on my hair. I had perfetly straight good hair. The fact that it was incredibly heat damaged was not important, by golly it was straight.As a child I was often told by friends and relatives that "I was so lucky to have good hair" It was many years before I realized that their statement said more about their thoughts of their own hair rathar than my own.Now I'm a mother myself and my daughter has the "bad hair", as I'm told repeatedly by family members. "She's a beautiful girl. Too bad she can't have good hair like you"My heart aches at the thought that when she gets older, this is the kind of "support" she will get from grandma and other family memebrs. I keep her hair neatly plaited and of course I think she's beautiful. She's only three years old, but family memebrs have already made all sorts of recommendations on relaxars and other stuff.Sigh. Natural beauty doesn't seem to exist in my family.

Replies:
Posted By: Serena
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:49pm
This is unfortunate. It seems that the African American commiunity has embraced the look of natural hair for men as a symbol of pride in one's ethnicity(you rarely see me relax their hair), so why can't they do the same for women? I also think chidren should not be critisized for there looks; they will have plenty of time to worry about that when they grow up.

-------------