Print Page | Close Window

It Happened Again & Freaked Me Out

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8358
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 3:02am

Topic: It Happened Again & Freaked Me Out
Posted By: shirley
Subject: It Happened Again & Freaked Me Out
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:50pm
I was at a large department store buying towels of all things and I was in the checkout line. An older women got in line behind me and the next thing I knew, she had her hands on my hair. She was touching it, sort of like testing the ripeness of fruits and veggies.I freaked and pulled back and gave her a look. I was stunned. I always am. She seemed embarrased but said, well I was just wanting to see if your hair was real and it is so soft.This has happened to me before on elevators and in shopping malls. I want to know what I am doing wrong that gives people the nerve to just reach out and touch my hair?I want to slap them but I have too many manners.Does this happen to anyone else and what do you do? This is definitely a major pet hair peeve of mine and I am still steaming, hours later.

Replies:
Posted By: Dave
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:50pm
Shirley,Although I have never had this happen to me (and I have never done thisto anybody else!), I understand your frustration.Basically, they are touching a part of you without having first obtainedyour permission to do so!Look at their (somewhat rude) actions as a big compliment. Your hair isobviously very well cared-for and very beautiful. Not everybody has whatmight be considered "sufficient" self-restraint, or manners, as do you.You may want to calmly explain to them your surprise at being touched.Perhaps then they may begin to understand that touching without firstasking permission is inconsiderate (perhaps?).It's really not my place to ask, but you may want to consider trying tobe more forgiving of their transgressions. Just a friendly and gentlesuggestion.Dave

-------------
David M Squires