Print Page | Close Window

Rude comments about my long locks...??

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8363
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 5:19am

Topic: Rude comments about my long locks...??
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Rude comments about my long locks...??
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
Hello,I am a 24 year old nursing student who currently works as a medical assistant in an emergency room. I have long light brown hair to my waist line. Well at work or school I always wear my hair up in some fashion...usually to braids as a ponytail or one braid often give me a headache, I try to be creative and wear knots etc. The problem is I have gotten rude comments such as you have too much hair to be a nurse etc from other women, some of these females being patients. My hair has never gotten in they way of my work and always looks proffesional. I also worked on an ambulance for 4 years and got similar comments. Why do some women make such rude and unthoughtful comments??( not once has a man made a rude comment BTW!) I do have to add the complements out weigh the negatives...but its the negatives that seem to stick! Any suggestions on how to deal with this?? Thanks~

Replies:
Posted By: Dave
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
Hello,> The problem is I have gotten rude comments such as you have too much> hair to be a nurse etc from other women, some of these females being> patients. My hair has never gotten in they way of my work and always looks> proffesional. I also worked on an ambulance for 4 years and got similar> comments. Why do some women make such rude and unthoughtful comments??> ( not once has a man made a rude comment BTW!)Hi Cynthia,I'm sorry to hear about these unpleasant encounters. Look at it thisway -- their rude comments are a rather poor reflection on THEIR character!The put-downs stick because they want you to feel badly about your choice.Unfortunately, they have succeeded... but what does that say about themotives of those who would say words designed to hurt?Could it be jealousy? After all, men haven't criticized you. Besides,men are more sensitive to other's feelings than women are. (yeah, right!)Webster defines "jealous" as "hostile toward one believed to enjoy anadvantage." If indeed these women are jealous, then they are acknowledgingthe appeal of your long hair. So, in a way, once you understand the motivebehind their put-down, you can actually see it for the compliment that it is!Laughable? I have heard similar, expressed by friend or acquaintance, in anon-hostile manner as such: "I hate you!" I know they don't really hate me,but what they're saying is that they may be (just a tad) envious of what I have.You've got it (going on)! Don't let their put-downs rob you of it.Dave

-------------
David M Squires