Print Page | Close Window

TV makeovers

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8364
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 6:04pm

Topic: TV makeovers
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: TV makeovers
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
Hi everyone. I still marvel at the fact that a makeover on tv, usually one like Sally, or Jenny Jones always seems to include hacking off about six inches of hair. You see a woman with beautiful hair and after her makeover its all gone. I think this sends a very negative message that long hair is "outdated" or that it just must be cut off in order to make the woman look better. Oh well maybe one day they'll do a show about women with long hair and show how wonderful it is. Now don't get the wrong impression I am not knocking short hair at all. I'm just talking about long hair because I happen to have it.

Replies:
Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:51pm
> Hi everyone. I still marvel at the fact that a> makeover on tv, usually one like Sally, or Jenny Jones> always seems to include hacking off about six inches> of hair. You see a woman with beautiful hair and after> her makeover its all gone.I think that it has to do w/the fact that, like it or not, cutting off long hair is dramatic. I don't know if it has so much to do w/ the fact that long hair is perceived as ugly, or anything like that. In fact, if you've ever looked at mainstream magazines for straight men (for example Playboy) you'll notice a very high percentage of models with mid-back or longer hair. TV strives to shock, not necessarily to present beauty. Why else would there be shows like Jerry Springer, for example? I also believe that most stylists do get at least somewhat of a thrill from cutting off long hair (see Tiara's post a few articles down), and these stylists are the ones put in charge running these shows.I hate when this happens, too, especially when the woman has thick, healthy hair and you can tell that she's not really sold on cutting it. Turns my stomach a bit, personally..... Oh, by the way, I have an friend who is an exotic dancer, and at the place where she works, they won't even hire girls w/ hair above the shoulders. Perhaps we should take the opinions of men in the mainstream more seriously than the opinions of a few gay hairdressers w/ haircutting fetishes. (Please don't flame me--I'm not saying ALL hairdressers are gay or that ALL of them have haircutting fetishes.)Dawn(Trying to grow out her hair!)

-------------