Print Page | Close Window

From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8367
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 2:38pm

Topic: From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short
Posted By: Dave
Subject: From Diane K -- Pressure to keep one's hair short
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:52pm
> > Probably so...> > Ah, let's see... pressure to keep your hair from growing long?>> Ok Dave,> Ill give it a go! One place I worked at the boss told me I needed to> keep up with the lates styles because I was a walking advertisement.> And of coures at the time extremly short was in so I bought into that> theory beacuse in order for me to grow my hair out it would go through> bad stages. And we wouldnt want our stylist to look anything less than> perfect because thats a reflection on the salon.Well Diane, I must say that you are in a unique situation, where yourboss's statements probably held some truth. At one time (in my youngerdays) I worked in a retail clothing store and so I am familiar with theconcept of "needing to keep up appearances" as a walking advertisement.Indeed, the growing-out phase is difficult to accomplish with "grace."Once you were short, growing out was a tricky situation for you in thatposition.> So friends out in cyber space what do you think of your stylist hair?My present stylist has extensions. So while she respects my wishes asfar as how little to trim, she tends to be a bit rough otherwise withmy hair. :-( Maybe if she had her own long hair she might understandthe needs to be more gentle(?)> Would you let a completly bald headed person cut your hair? How about> someone with fire engine red hair?I haven't had the "opportunity" to find out. It would depend largelyupon what I thought of the honesty of their sensitivity to my expressedwishes.However, when I had short hair (many years ago!) I had my hair cut afew times by a guy with a crewcut, who was a former marine. He wouldpush my head around a bit too firmly... and he tended to cut my haira bit shorter than I asked.> ( I also was wild with color. at one point it was scaring customers> away.)Ah yes, the walking billboard issue again :-)Dave

-------------
David M Squires

Replies: