Print Page | Close Window

Maury Povich makeover show

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8476
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 4:58pm

Topic: Maury Povich makeover show
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Maury Povich makeover show
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
I just finished watching a makeover episode of the Maury Povich show, consisting entirely of women with very long hair (waist legnth or longer) having their hair cut to at least shoulder-legnth or shorter.The women had a variety of reasons for appearing on the show, from one woman who wanted the trip to New York, to one who expressly wanted to donate her hair to Locks of Love (all women on the show donated their ponytails; a spokeswoman from the organisation said that it takes nine to ten ponytails to make one wig for a child...anybody know if this number is true?)after her own cancer scare.Others had what appeared to be family pressure. One woman's mother wanted her to have her hair cut short while the mother could still see it. (Mother had a progressive eye disease taking her sight.) Another's son couldn't remember seeing his mother with short hair, ever. Another's husband wanted a change after 25 years of marriage. Another woman wanted to be taken more "seriously" in her new business, rather than getting all the sexual-related comments men often gave her (including one man's reported request that she "bathe him in her long locks of love.")All the ponytails were cut on-camera, with, of course, a variety of reactions from immediate pleasure to tears. The women all appeared to be happy with the new looks at the end, though.Personally, I thought they all looked great in the beginning, with long, shiny, spectacular hair. Most of the makeovers looked just fine, but not distinctive. The daughter whose mother requested the cut looked a lot like her mom afterward.Just thought I'd put it out there and see what everyone had to say. Is there a pressure on these makeover shows to just cut? Why not have an episode showing how versatile and lovely longer hair can be?Kestra

Replies:
Posted By: Holly
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Kestra,Well, I know that some time ago this topic was discussed, but I never put my two cents in (I don't remember doing so, anyway).When you come right down to it, these participants must have known they were going to be on a "haircutting" show, so in this case I wouldn't say there was pressure from the show to cut it because that's what they appeared on the show for, primarily. Some sound like they were only cutting their hair to please someone else-never wise. With all these other makeover shows, however, no one is forcing these people to cut their hair. I know from what people say here that the pressure is on with people in their families to cut their hair, but frankly, if you don't have the fortitude to stick with your choice, isn't that the person's personal problem and not the make-over program shows? I don't want to sound insensitive, but like I wrote in a recent post, people know how these shows are by now.I will agree though that I always wonder why when there is a make-over (exempting this particular "Maury" show)they almost always cut the hair. Sometimes a simple color change would suffice!:) A lot of the time, all they need is taught proper make-up application, and better clothes sense-not a chopping of hair all over the place. I think that people who go on these shows for make-overs should make it clear from the start with the producer's and say "Hey, I only want so much taken off/none taken off of my hair length". If there is a problem with it later, then they shouldn't be intimidated, just say right there in front of the audience if the stylist/host keeps pressuring to go shorter, "I told you before the show, I only wanted so much taken off-that's how I want it". I'd love to see a show where if the host/stylist still doesn't leave the person alone, then that person getting up and leaving. Since I don't watch those shows much (and now not at all because of living overseas)I don't know if that has already happenned or not. From what I hear on this board, the answer is no.HollyRelated Link:Survey

-------------