Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=59381
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 4:18am

Topic: Dark Golden Blonde
Posted By: erica_e
Subject: Dark Golden Blonde
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 10:14am
hi there. I was wandering how I could get a nice, dark golden blonde color.

My natural hair color is dark brown, so I pretty much know that I would have to bleach it to a pale yellow stage first, and then darken it. I usually use Schwartzkopft bleach with 30v developer.

I've always like sarah jessica parkers hair color in Sex and the City. here's a few pictures to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

I know she has alot of highlights, but I'm basically looking for the base color, and maybe I'll add some highlights in the future. So, would you suggest a golden blonde color/toner, with maybe a 10 or 5 volume developer? Do you have any suggestions for hair color brands, like perhaps paul mitchell or schwartzkopft? Thanks. [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Replies:
Posted By: kira244
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 6:23pm

Test strand, test strand, test strand!!!!! I don't have numbers or colors for you, but why lighten to pale yellow if your looking for the base color of light brown/dark blonde? You may not need to lighten as light as pale yellow, depending on the amount of warmth (red) in your hair. You really need to do tests before doing your whole head!!! You say you normaly use 30V and bleach what color do you end up with? What high lift colors have you used? You may could use a high lift and then high light. But if you have a lot of warmth then you will have to bleach.

In those pics she has a light brown/dark blonde base with a lot of high lights.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe other will chime in.

-------------
Kira

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 10:20am
Yes, I have ALOT of warmth in my hair... alot of red natural hightlights/undertones... as most dark brown hair has. so a 20v bleach usually just lifts it to an orange/brassy yellow stage.

Posted By: PerfectBrunette
Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 11:48am
Don't lighten your hair so much if you don't need to! Kira is right. Why subject your hair to too much damage? Also, I've heard that golden undertones by themselves don't usually look natural. Most hairdressers mix golden blond with a neutral blonde to get a more natural look. This is a really high maintenance look for you considering your natural color. I really love this color though. 

Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 2:16pm
I really love this color too. the problem is, my hair is so dark that it won't lighten past a medium-brown without bleach. so, I don't know... a medium-brown with bleach-blonde highlights won't look very natural I think.

Posted By: PerfectBrunette
Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 3:04pm
Maybe not. Very light brown with blonde highlights looks great though too and would be a little easier to maintain since root show wouldn't be as obvious. Or dark brown with very light brown highlights also looks fabulous for an even lower maintenance look.

Posted By: BeachGyaru
Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 3:42pm
If you desire all over color, then you don't have to lighten all way to pale yellow as others have stated. For a dark golden blonde, which I've achieved on my very dark hair, all I had to do is bleach it to a banana yellow or possibly a yellow/orange stage that looks like goldish color. Then tone it with a natural or ash blonde to tone down brassiness. It looks kinda golden but more neutral. I have problems with red and orange, too, but I've successfully lighten it every time using local beauty supply store products, not drugstore products. If you prefer more natural look, then highlights are the best way to go. You can lighten your hair to a golden brown with a bit of lightener and a tint with low volume developer, then you can go to salon to add more highlights and lowlights to your hair. Best wishes!

Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 7:49pm
Thanks for the tips BeachGyaru.    

the funny thing is though, that if I bleach it to a yellow stage and then use an ash or neutral color (which I've done), it usually comes out greyish or even a bit greenish/muddy. atleast for me, mixing yellow with ash (blue/violet) usually comes out greenish.

Is there a particular color you've used with good results? and also, what kind of 'lightener and a tint with low volume developer' do you mean? like a hi-lift? thanks.

Posted By: BeachGyaru
Date Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:51am
Hello erica! I know what you mean about these yucky ash based tints. I avoid them. I specifically use toners instead of regular tints because these regular ash blonde tints have stronger base than toners, hence, the muddy, greenish undertones. I highly recommend Clairol Creme Toners or Wella Color Charm Toners. Wella has a bit more limited choices of toners, so Clairol has more choices. These toners always bring my hair to a natural looking pastel blonde, not muddy or greenish. Toners are designed for bleached hair while regular tints are designed for non-bleached hair and acts like hi-lift. I don't use hi-lift tint because it has more stronger base than regular or toner. If you really can't find any toners at your local beauty store, then I suggest you to go online to get the toners or take a risk with regular tint with 10 or 20 volume developer. I don't like regular tints because they can be unpredictable so do strand test. A combo of warm and cool is the best rather than ash or neutral. Natural has no base like Wella Color Charm so it comes out a little warmer on bleached hair. It might sting your scalp after bleaching your hair.

I use lightener or bleach like either Wella Wellite or Clairol 7th Stage Lightener with 30 volume twice to reach banana yellow stage. Both works very well.

Print Page | Close Window