Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

another place selling heat clamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
SamUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:10pm
Just a thought - with the fees etc. included, you're only saving about
$15 buying from this place rather than from Doc or HairCandy.
Given the trouble that you seem to be having thus far, what would
happen if one or more of the irons was faulty? Or if there were
problems with the shipping? Customer care doesn't seem to be of
highest importance here, and personally, I'd rather spend the extra
$15 buying from a reputable source.

Sorry if I'm pissing on your chips here, but I'd hate to see anyone
lose money like this. Not that I'm saying you definitely would, but it's
worth considering.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:16pm
I almost wonder if Doc would be willing to offer a discount for a mass order of, say, 10 irons? Does she do that sort of thing? :)
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:24pm
Actually, Sam, we're saving about $40 each this way.  An iron from Doc plus shipping is about $108.  We're looking at $65 each.  If it were only $15 difference, I'd buy from Doc (or Kristin...but I want temp control, hun).  I will ask Doc if a bulk order discount is possible.

I can't help it...I'm incapable of buying anything full-price.

UPDATE: the irons are fully US-compatible (plug, voltage, etc.)

Edited by leia1979
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:46am
Hey Leia~ Thanks for the update. Do you know the exact wire
charge by any chance?

The paypal fee I was taling about is.......if anyone pays through
paypal to the person doing the actual order and shipping, they
will get charged for receiving the money. That's why I included
a 2.9% paypal fee. If everyone pays with checks, then no fee as
you said.

I just accepted a paypal fee from the UK, and paypal charged
me 4.279% to get the money!! I was like what the heck!!
I thought the highest fee they could charge was 2.9%....???

So do you get charged more for accepting an overseas
payment?? I rarely use paypal, so was just wondering......

Leia~ I have had no response from Mr Chen at all. Do you want
to do this ASAP or are you girls in no hurry here?

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:01am
Hey there SAS, pm me the amount and I'll reimburse you chick, I wasn't aware of that either xxxxxx I've just been charged $30.00 dollars customs this end to get the hair, had a post office card waiting for me on my mat last night saying I had to go to the post office and pay it before they would let me have your package - bummer! xxx
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Amanda8Beechwoo Amanda8Beechwoo wrote:

I've just been charged $30.00 dollars customs this end to get the hair

That sucks. Can someone explain this customs fee thing to me? Do they just seize packages at random? Is this a specific problem in the U.K. and some other countries? Sorry if I'm being a little clueless here, but I've never, ever had this happen in the U.S. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:52am

Hi there Jenny, basically if someone sends a package to the UK, the person receiving it in the UK has to pay customs on the item if it is goods to the value of $30.00 or over or if it is a gift then to the value of $65.00 or over.  I personally think its disgusting having to pay this so when I purchase stuff from the USA for example when I get my hair from Ebonyline, I've signed a disclaimer with them so I just require them to provide proof of posting and that I don't require any insurance because if they send something out to me and I require insurance, then they have to put the amount to be insured on the front of the package, this is what customs look at and this is what you get charged for, then I don't have to pay customs because there is no value on the front of the box to be insured.  xx

I totally forgot to tell Kristen and SAS when they were sending me the hair and clips so I've had to pay customs on both xx

Edited by Amanda8Beechwoo
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:00am
Ah...thanks for breaking it down for me.

So you have to waive your right to insurance to avoid the fee? Again, that really sucks--you basically have no choice but to give up your own protections. I could see if it was an item that was many thousands of dollars or something, but having to pay $30 on, say, a $50 order is insane. Grrr..... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:03am
OMG!! OMG,,,,,,,are you kiddin' me!! I can't believe this!!

Amanda, Hun you owe me nothing girl!! No way!!

I deliberately ticked "gift" with card & letter.....so you would not
have a customs issue!! That is CRAZY!!!
I can't believe they did this!! OMG!! I'm so mad!!

If you tick merchandise.....like most companies do, then
customs are likely to put a charge on it.

I sent one of my bridesmaids her dress to have her fit it in
Scotland before she came out to my wedding in the States. I
paid $500 for her dress then customs put a 117 pound charge
on it at her end, I ticked no boxes on the ticket, and they said
because I had the original tags on the dress, it was charged as
new merchandise.
The guy at the post office told her to tell me next time I send to
the UK to always tick the "gift" box and they would never
bother you. I have done that always in the last 5 years and my
family have never had to pay a customs charge ever.

They stop packages at random.....it's total crap!! They are only
supposed to charge merchandise items not gift items.
I can't believe this!!
Amanda, can you dispute this at the Post Office?

Edited by Save~A~Stray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:09am

Jenny - I know, that's why I'm willing to take the risk.  Can you imagine how much customs I would have had to pay on my recent $500.00 order from ebonyline LOL xx

SAS - As far as I'm concerned chick, I can't wait to pick it up and I'm not bothered about paying the extra money because it was such a bargain from you in the first place.  When you have to pay the extra customs they actually stick you a sticker on the package after customs has had it and it says on that even with gifts, if they are over $65 you still have to pay customs, I think that is disgusting xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:10am
Amanda, I just read your post.......I never wrote a $$$ value on
your package at all. Did they open up the packet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:11am

I've just replied above you LOL, I'm picking it up in about 4 hours from the post office so I'll let you know xxx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:32am
Amanda~ Check your PM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:35am
Nothing in there chick xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:40am
You should have it now....I will resend again!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:46am
Got it, replied to you twice xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:59am
Now, I'm thinking girls we are probably going to get custom
charges for these irons too?

What do you all think now?
This has totally thrown me for a loop here.....I don't know what
to think.

Let me know girls what you think about the customs issue, as
Sensual said they had no idea about us getting charged
customs fees on our end. I have always have to pay customs
fees from India each time.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:35am
Anyone here ordered from China before? I know I've never been charged customs on anything I've bought internationally, but that's only been from the UK or Canada. FWIW I see a whole lot more UK hairboard members mentioning customs charges than US ones. Sherrie and Fina, don't you guys buy form China a lot? D'you get tagged with customs?

Also, I know Doc used to have a "bulk order" (not wholesale) section of the website where you could buy large amounts of one product for less than retail; i.e. 3 jars of microrings for $60, etc. I can't find it on the new site, but I don't know if theyhaven't put up a page for it or they just don't sell i that manner anymore. Would be worth emailing Doc and fiding out.

-Rae
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:56am

Ive never been charged a customs fee on any of the hair supplies that Ive ordered from my Korean supplier. But I can tell you that he always markes my package as "Sample"(or something to that effect) and I can recall the value being wrote on the package as a small $ amount rather than the actual price that I paid.

I wonder if this is something new that customs has started doing? I have a package that is about to be shipped from my supplier by the end of March, I guess Ill let you know what happens with my shipment!

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 2:27pm

I emailed Doc....she said she'd give us a 10% discount, but that only brings 'em down to $90 before shipping.

Mr. Chen said the T/T fee was approx. $30.  I will ask about customs...it had crossed my mind.  Obviously if the customs fees are out of this world, there's no point.  I send stuff to Canada all the time at work, but they have a customs value of zero.

And according to Paypal, I can receive up to $500 a month with no fees...the account resets on the 8th of each month.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic