Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napturals bring it all!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 8:34am
 Im Napptural heheLOL! But I dont believe in trimming, If you keep your hair ends healthy then you dont have to trim anyways is my ethos. Plus its magic for hair growth too!Smile

Once the hair ends are definately dead to the world Id say trim but immediately after start to pay loads of attention to your ends and not the scalp with oils that will penitrate the cuticle not just coat it. But of course this is a personal journey. You have to find a moisturiser that has enough water to moisturise without the wet look and a good oil to seal the moisture in.

Its with experimenting that you manage to find a way to keep your ends healthy, but it may be because some people focus on oiling the middle of the hair and the scalp and dont do the ends. On a whole I would say make sure something nourishing is rubbed on the ends of your fro at least twice a day for two weeks and you should see tangle free improvementsSmile

Edited by love59 - February 17 2007 at 8:36am
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 2:38pm
Good Advice Love. And I don't know about the ORS Moisturizer. Then again, ORS hasn't failed me yet. From Replenishing Pack, to Hair Mayo, it's been quite decent. It (hair mayo & moisturizer) costs more than a bottle of KENRA, for gosh sakes. For some reason I'm awaiting a "let down" from ORS.
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2007 at 2:41pm
Does any other natural besides em face irregular long stands of her which have a sheeded hair knotted to another strand. I've nocied I hav e alot of long strands like that...and it's pretty annoying.
diversiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diversiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 5:00pm
Well its been a long time since I posted on here....but my hair is now completely natural and I get a blowout about every month to six weeks or so. When it's blown out it's almost two inches past my shoulder which is amazing because when I was relaxed I couldnt get it past ear length. At the start of this horrible Canadian winter I was getting really bad shedding and breaking. No amount of water helped, then I read a post (i'll post the link later - at work now) but the girl mentioned Mizani H20 Nighttime Treatment.. Must say this stuff works like a charm! My hair is now shedding normally, nowhere the amount of hair that was in the comb or in the sink before and there is less breakage. I feel it getting stronger when I come thru it.  This stuff moisturizes as well, so I only use my MTG and WGO once a week. I put the mizani on my ends and comb thru. Roll it back it a bun and pin it up for 2 or 3 days at a time. I only comb it out when I start to look like a hobo .. I find playing with my hair less especially in the winter helps me to avoid those knots and keeps my blowouts longer. I'm not sure about how much length Ive retained, Im due for a blowout now.

Also I found that using 'tails this time of year keeps my ends healthier so I have less trimming to do. I haven't had a trim since December and now I need only a little dusting. and number two - water water water. I never used to be a believer,  but water really does help especially for those of us with natural hair, we need all the moisture we can get. I highly recommend everyone investing in a humidifier, with all the severe and sometimes extreme temperatures that we subject our hair in the winter both hot and cold, the humidifier helps keeps hair moisturized as well.

I hope I helped.
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:21pm
Diversiti thanks for your post I have been contemplating getting a humidifer and since I started rinsing daily got my duh moment when I realized my hair loves water lol I think I am going to start flat iron again but like you stretch in between....I suffered a little heat damage using a high temp on a weekly basis.
Hair album
pw:Romeo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:33pm
Thanks for the trimming advise...I went and bought shears to search and destroy and will only get a trim every couple of months...I don't think they were that bad last month but still went in and was mad at the lenght she took off. I will be playing it by ear from now on lol

Originally posted by love59 love59 wrote:

Im Napptural hehe[IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />! But I dont believe in trimming, If you keep your hair ends healthy then you dont have to trim anyways is my ethos. Plus its magic for hair growth too![IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />

Once the hair ends are definately dead to the world Id say trim but immediately after start to pay loads of attention to your ends and not the scalp with oils that will penitrate the cuticle not just coat it. But of course this is a personal journey. You have to find a moisturiser that has enough water to moisturise without the wet look and a good oil to seal the moisture in.

Its with experimenting that you manage to find a way to keep your ends healthy, but it may be because some people focus on oiling the middle of the hair and the scalp and dont do the ends. On a whole I would say make sure something nourishing is rubbed on the ends of your fro at least twice a day for two weeks and you should see tangle free improvements[IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />
Hair album
diversiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diversiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 6:27pm
LOL Indeed! Girl I understand exactly what you mean. The last 3 people I let trim my hair, one being my stylist for over 3 years hella AngryPISSED me off too. The whole fact that I let them know exactly what I wanted done and they went on with the "I'm gonna do what I think is best and jack her sh*t up" attitude frustrated me beyond a point and got my attitude all stink. Especially since I didn't see my hair for two straight years (maybe not soooo badLOL) to get it to a condition and length that I am satisfied with and proud of. See if you can find a dominican salon in your area that does the blowouts. Their practice is to deep condition your hair before they straighten it which I think is way better than some black or white people's salons that just wash and then cook your hair straight. Also I found that they try not to apply too much direct heat or if they do, they're not excessive about it.

You could straighten at home, however if you know you're not that good at it and would end up burning your hair and causing more heat damage to it than someone else who straightens hair on a daily basis and who could get the job done and not apply so much heat to your hair, wouldn't you rather pay for it? That's the way I look at it, plus I just don't like messing with my hair too much. Life's easier that way.

Here's the link for the breakage posting. It's a good reference..

Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

Thanks for the trimming advise...I went and bought shears to search and destroy and will only get a trim every couple of months...I don't think they were that bad last month but still went in and was mad at the lenght she took off. I will be playing it by ear from now on lol
Originally posted by love59 love59 wrote:

Im Napptural hehe[IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />! But I dont believe in trimming, If you keep your hair ends healthy then you dont have to trim anyways is my ethos. Plus its magic for hair growth too![IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />

Its with experimenting that you manage to find a way to keep your ends healthy, but it may be because some people focus on oiling the middle of the hair and the scalp and dont do the ends. On a whole I would say make sure something nourishing is rubbed on the ends of your fro at least twice a day for two weeks and you should see tangle free improvements[IMG]http://talk.hairboutique.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />
Luvlybelizean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 9:17am
Love 59 what oil and moisturizer work best on your hair. im still in that trial and eror stage with moisture products, im ready to try somethin new. whats your recomendation?

I can recal Cathy Howse saying that trimming regularly is not needed but as you said we're all on a "personal journey" with our hair, that was well said and i agree b/c what i do one way might work for me and not for someone else. This is a journey of different perspective, a "personal journey" i cant get over saying that, "a personal journey" i love what you said.  LOL
"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
Last relaxer:4/06
Trans. styles: weaves&braids
goal:4-6" natural
Currently: 4"uneven
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 3:39pm

Hehe! I love that we all help each other on here and it is very benificial but sometimes one person will swear by something, I use it and it does not please me at all! But most suggestions are helpful.

When it comes to trimming I do agree with cathy howse in regards to maintaining growth. When you want long hair I dont see the point of neglecting your ends (sometimes by accident) then trimming the split ends off unknowingly starting at square one again every couple of monthsConfused.

My "personal journey" as a Black woman who loves her curls is there is no other feeling like having healthy strong ends on your hair, tangle free, elastic!! Basically the most success I have had with my ends was with a creme moisturizer for my hair and coconut oil when my hair has just been washed. I live in Britain so its hard to recommend things and you just have to keep tinkering around with different products.

A couple of months ago I started taking viviscal, a health supplement called perfectil and a hair cream for dry scalps i put on twice a day but i spread it to the end of my hair this time. Also I read an AMAZING book called "Hair Story" about the way our attitudes, social practices and styles have changed pre slavery, in slavery, emancipation and modern day which made me reconnect and think about my hair being strong.

To cut a long story short my hair grew more than 1 inch in a month. I cant pinpoint what makes it grow so fast so I cant give directions, keep experimentingSmile And love your ends!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 11:29am
MY hair love creams also...especially leave-in conditioner creams.

O yeah! The latest Sophisticates magazine has a whole article on different types of conditioners, their purpose and how to use them.

I read "Hair Story" before and I love it. It is a book to reference, it's not  bias but informative. :)

Edited by cmesweet - February 28 2007 at 5:52pm
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 4:38pm
^^^Is that the one with Gabrielle Union on the cover, that issue is good! It even has a step by step rollerset instructions and some GOOD hair tips.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 5:51pm
No it's the one with Mary J. Blige on the cover. It also includes Ciara's hair regimen and a few other people. 

The article is about 2 pages long and they have also have an article on lacefronts, just in case anyone was interested.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 6:31pm
Oh ok, I have that one too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 11:04am
LMAO @ diversiti Your right about those other salons, it seems like they are more concerned about style than health.
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:00am
Hey naturals and transitioners do you notice that you don't have to do protein treatments as frequently? I went a month without doing a heavy protein treament and i didn't notice anything bad....but I decided to do one before getting braids just in case and after rinsing it out my hair didn't feel that different? How often are you guys doing treatments? TIA
Hair album
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 2:11pm
I don't do protein treatments that often and usually not on a schedule. Mine are just random, whenever I decide to do them.   

I prefer to use Leklair cholesteral... as a deep conditioner. Doesn't smell to great though but it works.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:17pm
ladies i was checking on the book Hair Story. is it this one?

Hair%20Story%20:%20Untangling%20the%20Roots%20of%20Black%20Hair%20in%20America
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:13am
ladies i was checking on the book Hair Story. is it this one?

Yup, you wont regret it Smile
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:44am
Yes, that is the book!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 2:41pm
Thanks cmesweet I am going to just play it by ear too!
Hair album
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic