Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redken So Long

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redken So Long
    Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:40pm
Has anyone has used Redken So Long? I'm starting to grow my hair out and was thinking it would be a good system to use to maintain healthy hair. Does the shampoo/conditioner/heat treat work for you hair? And how does it compare to other heat protectants, like Thermasilk?
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 5:06pm
Oh oh oh! What a good question! I keep meaning to review Redken So Long.

I had wondered about it for quite awhile, having been a fan of All Soft. So recently, when many stores put all of their Redken supply in the old style bottles on clearance, I bought some So Long!

I love it! Unlike All Soft, I can use it several days in a row. My hair looks great, it's tangle free, and it isn't weighed down like a lot of conditioners do when I use them 2 days in a row. (Especially All Soft!)

I have not used the Heat Treat, because I do not use heat on my hair at all. I read Paula Begoun's book "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me!" and she points out that no product could possibly protect your hair from the super hot, scorching temperatures of a blow dryer or curling iron. I agree with her. I think the claim that any product can protect your hair from heat is just pure hype.

But I thoroughly recommend the So Long Shampoo and Conditioner!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 6:50pm
hrmm.. I was looking at the Redken website and assumed that the chemicals react to heat products to strengthen the hair. Maybe I'm wrong. Just wondering, what does it say on the bottle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 7:43pm
No, you're right. That is what it says on the bottle.

But I don't believe it. Sounds like a marketing lie to me.

I suppose it could be true. What does anyone else think? Lyris??
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 9:59pm
Hi,

So-Long is a different chemical arragement than All-Soft.
So-Long contains sucroses and carbohydrates. These ingrediants help to strengthen the "gummy" substances between the cuticles of your hair. The gum helps to keep your hair from getting spilt ends. Using harsh shampoos (such as having a PH of 6 and above) can cause the cuticles to rise, stretching the gum like a rubber band back and forth, eventually it will snap causeing split ends and frizziness. Carbs and sucrose in the proper amounts will strengthen the gum, therefore helping long hair from snaping and breaking.

One thing to think about, hair grows on average 1/2 inch a month. If you have hair longer then your shoulders, some of that hair on the ends have been there for 2 or 3 years. Think about all that hair has been through. (It can be kinda sentimental
)

Although, the"book" states that no product can protect the hair from "scorching heat", something is better than nothing while using heat tools.

Redken does not claim that it works with heat as you are thinking, like Thermasilk commercials say.
They state it in the sense that when you use Heat Seal, it will help protect the hair from blow drying and heat tools. It does not claim the product will improve the condition of the hair, just protect it from futher damage.

Got It????
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 11:52pm
i was wondering about this product too. supergrover have you seen a difference in your hair?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:11am
I agree with Lili and Traci. Nothing can completely shield hair from that toasty blow dryer or iron, but you might as well use something that coats the hair shaft and protects it somewhat. I think Thermasilk pushes the heat safe claim a little past plausible, but that's another story. I'm not sure I would use Heat Seal, as it contains (if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I've seen a bottle) SD alcohol 40, which, like benzyl/ethyl/isopropyl alcohol can dry out hair with repeated use, unlike cetearyl/stearyl/cetyl which are coconut-derived emollients.

If you love PM products, Awapuhi Moisture Mist might work for you. I adore HeatSafe by Jhirmack (yet another misleading name, but what can you do?) which contains panthenol and isodecane and is dirt cheap, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere now! I'm trying Neutrogena's overnight leave-in spray for the first time today so I'll let you know if it's decent.

Also, here's a question for everyone: I've seen Redken's new packaging (not thrilled about it, but oh well) and the gal at Trade Secret said they changed the All Soft scent as well. I was on my way out so I didn't check for myself but is it true? I hope not....I thought it was darn near perfect to begin with. (Traci I KNOW you know what I mean!)
:-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:20am
I goofed...the Jhirmack spray is called HeatCare. The world didn't end! :-P
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 10:39am
The Redken website states (for all So Long products):

Ingredients: Xylose Sugar = heat protection, Ceramide = cuticle reinforcement, Proteins = helps strengthen

Why it works: One of hair's natural carbohydrates, xylose sugar easily penetrates to protect hair from heat and strengthen with high-heat appliances. It also reacts with hair's proteins for super-strengthening.

I doubt "heat protection" really works, but my question is the description of xylose sugar. After reading the statement, I got the feeling that it meant the sugar wouldn't work unless heat was applied to the hair.. possibly that the sugar is solid and needs to be heated to form a gum? LiliBeach, what's going on?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 12:21pm
I don't apply heat to my hair ever (well OK, maybe 3 times a year) and I still like So Long very much. I've been using it pretty much exclusively since I got it! Which is unlike me, I have had the habit of switching every shower for years and years!

I can't tell if it's making it stronger yet, because it's too soon too tell if there's less breakage. But to answer your question, PrincessMonica, it's definitely smoother, WAY easier to comb, and shinier, too! And just as soft as if I had used All Soft.

I'm hooked!

Perhaps the Xylose Sugar bonds to hair better when heat is applied. Kind of like a hot oil treatment. But that doesn't make me want to risk scorching my hair with a blowdryer! Maybe this summer I will try to dry my hair in the sun after using So Long. See if I notice any benefits of mild heat.

Lyris, I think I have heard about the change in All Soft smell, too, but I can't remember where.
I think my Trade Secret cashier told me they were changing the formula of some of them??? But honestly, I don't remember. I was only half listening to her, and mostly doing arithmetic in my head to see how much money I was spending on their Redken clearance.
I bet LiliBeach could tell us, though!

Hey!! This is my 100th post!
Go figure it would be about Redken products.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 12:51pm
I hate to break the bad news, but "xylose," regardless of what it does to your hair, is the fourth-to-last ingredient listed for Heat Treat, meaning it is the 21st ingredient in this product.

The FDA requires cosmetic companies to list all ingredients in descending order starting with the one present in the greatest quantity, until you get about halfway down the list when things can be listed randomly. The first 4-5 ingredients compose 80-90 percent of the overall product. That's why water is almost always the first thing listed in shampoos and conditioners.

Hence, xylose may be a stellar conditioning agent but it's present in such a minute quantity in Heat Treat that it's pretty much insignificant. Companies throw in fancy herbs, extracts and other exotic additives at the very end of the list so they can hype it on the front label. But it's the stuff listed up top that can really improve your hair: Heat Treat contains primarily silicone derivatives (dimethicone copolyol and dimethicone) and emollients/thickeners (laureth-23, phenoxyethanol), all of which do tend to stick to the hair shaft better when heated. This is true of ANY conditioning product. So Heat Treat probably does work better when heated, although it's the silicones and emollient fatty alcohols that are making your hair soft and shiny.

(side note: Congrats on 100 posts! I'm getting close to 666 myself. Lucky me. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 1:04pm
oops.. forgot to say that the ingredients listed on the website was for all of the So Long products, not just the HeatTreat..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic