Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Camping Hair Care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping Hair Care
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 10:40am
Hi Bill!

It's good to see you here!  Hiking and camping out was fun, I surprised myself by how well I survived without the creature comforts of civilization.  Hope you and Gormlaith enjoy this summer's backpacking!

BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 12:27pm

Hi Dave!

Yes, we had a wonderful time in Death Valley, even though I couldn't rustle up any skeletons for Gormlaith to chew on.   The flowers were the best I've ever seen, though I missed a couple of great years in the 90s.

Thanks again for hiking with me, Dave.  Gormlaith will be backpacking with me this summer for the first time, not that far from where we were I hope.

Bill

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 8:16pm
Gormlaith!

Did you enoy the fabulous display of wildflowers?  I've heard that this year is a once-in-a-lifetime display of wildflowers in Death Valley.   (jealous)

Gee, the description of the motel makes me wonder how they would handle their hot water needs during the height of tourist season (or was this it?)

Camping out is definitely cathartic. Thanks to your LH buddy.

Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 6:37pm
Got back from a week  in Death Valley and  my hair  was happy, two braids up in a hat did the trick.  The only hair hardship on the journey was the night in a motel to clean up when the water went icy after only five minutes!     This was not a good time to be mid-lather.  A call to the manager and a twenty minute wait while the water heated up finally got me de-soaped.  Apparently the other motel guests (only one other car there!) had used up all the hot water, and this was at the unusual bathing hour of four in the afternoon.   

Camping out felt better than the "comforts" of civilization.  

Gormlaith      
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 6:22pm
Hi Gormlaith!

Having been hiking/camping, those trails are very dusty and you definitely want to keep your hair restrained during the hiking. I would advice more "up and under hat" than in a braid, although two braids (pigtails) might work better than one (ponytail). I would also advise combing it out at least once a day (suggest morning). My first time (with all this hair), I made the mistake of letting my hair go for 2 1/2 days without ever undoing the braid, and the braid frayed and got badly tangled.

Most importantly, I hope you and your camping buddy have a great time on your upcoming camping adventure!
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 8:41pm
Confined is good, thanks Susan. I tend to keep my hair up in a hat to be comfortable anyway but protection is a great reason too. The guy I am camping with is a geologist and claims the trail dust will be granite flecked if I remember right. He supposes it is gritty and harsh on hair so I am not going to test his theory.

Katherine, braids will be helpful too, thanks! Although on me a single braid doesn't hold tight enough at the nape so gets tangled fast, two would be great for the day. I'll be backpacking for a week either on spring break or over the summer so it is a good thing my hair already is used to washing only once a week.

Dave, haven't you been camping? Do you have any tales to tell?

Gormlaith
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:19am
How long are you going to be gone? Maybe you could get your hair braided and forget about it til you get back.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:09am
I don't think the dirt will be too bad for your hair, providing you don't get it supertangled I would think you'd be fine. Just detangle frequently or keep it confined so it can't knot up.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 8:16pm
I am planning a camping adventure and need some "what to watch out for" kind of advice. My camping buddy tells me dust can be gritty and harmful to hair. What else should I think about?

Thanks for any help,

Gormlaith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic