Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Messy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ted View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Messy Hair
    Posted: August 30 2004 at 11:14am
Hey...I'm a male and would really like the messy hair affect. I have straight black hair (long as of now) and was wondering how short I should cut it or what exactly the hair cut I should get to have a good/perfect messy hair affect. I've cut my hair short before but I don't think I've cut it short enough or something because I just can never seem to make it "messy". Are there any tips on how to make it messy as well? (I'm totally clueless on how to do it). I'd like the hair to also not look like it has gel in it (I want it to look as dry as possible).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do not have a picture of me
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 6:48pm
I don't have a clue how you could achieve that effect, but just wanted to say... don't be disappointed if it seems nearly impossible. Some people's hair has a great memory, and it will stay perfect and in the right places no matter what you do.

Anais
Ted View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 6:54pm
Thanks
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 6:42pm
I don't know what kind of cut you should get ask a hairdresser. Use a pomade or something to make it messy.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 10:04am
How is your hair cut?

Is it done with scissors or a razor? If it's scissors, do they cut straight across or chip into it?

Razoring adds a lot of texture to hair, which is pretty instrumental in the short messy look.

And what products do you use? Pomades and waxes add texture to your hair as well and create piecyness. After that, it's a matter of mussing everything and leaving it alone.

And most importantly, is your hair fine, normal, or thick? Fine hair doesn't have the volume for messiness.

I'd suggest looking for a picture of the look you want in a hair magazine and then ask your stylist if they can duplicate that on your hair. And then get them to give you hints on how to do it at home.

John502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 2:21pm
the above poster, are there any online hair galleries? and also, is there a difference between pomade and texturizing wax?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 5:13pm
I'm not the "above poster" but...

Pomades often contain waxes like paraffin. Texturing waxes can contain beeswax, making it harder to remove... but beeswax does hold better than paraffin. Therefore texturing wax could get you a "harder" result than pomade. Just my theory.
my LJ, 40 inches long
John502 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 6:06pm
the above poster, are there any online hair galleries? and also, is there a difference between pomade and texturizing wax?
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 9:58am
AnaisSatin just told you the difference between a pomade and a texturizing wax. I know I'm not the above poster either but ukhairdressers.com has a style gallery.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
scott1121 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 12:58am
how messy?

kinda like mine?

huystarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huystarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 8:59pm
Hey Scott, may I ask what product you use?

And Ted, try using Garnier Fructis's Texturing Paste. It's a fairly new product and it has a matte finish, meaning no shine at all! Just like the "dry look" that you want.
scott1121 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 3:55am
Hmm product..

Sometimes I use nuthing, but I usually add some hairspray, towel dry it and then lightly spray some more hairspray on it..

I get alot of people asking me how I do it, and ALOT can't seem to get it right.

Here is a pic of when my hair was longer..

scott1121 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 3:56am

I****ed up the other post hahaha
huystarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huystarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 3:10pm
thanks scott!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic