Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedto karen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to karen
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Dear,Karen Please describe your hair care routine.I'am also interested in how you got your hair back to health after dieting.What vitamins did you take your diet ect.some advice on restoring hair to health would be appreciated.
T
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Hi T...OK...you asked for my gospel :-)I wash my hair every day in the morning. I almost never miss a day because my hair tends to be a little dry and when I don't wash it daily, it seems to get drier.I try to stick with one hair care product line at a time except when I am testing new products which I do about 4x a year. I am currently in love with ARTec and so I am using their Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner.Before ARTec I only used Aveda and I would alternate my routine. On Day #1 I would use Aveda Shampure and Deep Conditioner with Curressence Spray. Day #2 I would use Aveda Chamomile (for blondes) and Curressence Conditioner. Day #3 I would use Aveda Blue Malva and Cherry Almond Bark and the Curressence Spray. The Blue Malva gives my hair silver highlights and the Cherry Almond enhances my natural waviness.I would do one application of shampoo in the shower under medium hot water. I would apply the conditioner and leave on for about 5 minutes. My final rinse was always cold water (brrrr but worth it).I would towel blot my hair and then blow dry ONLY my bangs. I would pick out my hair with an Efalock or similar smooth pick and then wrap my hair up in a bun and attach a claw clip. I let my hair air dry and in 2-3 hours I would take it down and viola I would have lots of natural waves.I only blow dry my hair for special events when I want it perfectly straight. Then I use a professional hair dryer and use the slowest coldest setting and always apply Aveda Elixir first to protect it from the heat. Sometimes I use Confixer if I want to play with my bangs a little.I get my hair trimmed religiously every 10 weeks and have my bangs trimmed every 4 weeks. I also do a tiny split end trim every New Moon. I clip just a teeny bit with professional scissors (Tweezerman is great).I have my hair highlighted every 4-5 months with Matrix Socol. I have naturally medium blonde hair and I have them do the cap method (which takes 3 hours on my hair) to add lighter blonde streaks and chunks. It looks wonderful and very natural.I do a deep condition 1-2x a week or as needed. I use either Olive Oil and Rosemary oil or Aveda's Beautifying Oil. Sometimes I mix the two together (olive & B. Oil).I never brush my hair except before I go to bed to remove tangles. I currently have a 100% Boar's Bristle brush that I am testing.Vitamins: I take a multi B vitamin 2x a day, Essential Fatty Acids (EFS), Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Paba. I also take herbs and acidophilis (powder). I eat at least 1 sheet of Nori seaweed every day. I do not take hair vitamins. There are a lot of reasons for my belief about hair vitamins but that is a whole other topic. :-)I try to limit sugar, coffee, and other bad hair foods in my diet. I don't always do perfect, but I do try.There are lot of other things I do for my hair but the above covers the basics.Hope that helps. I am always looking for new tricks, but based on how well my hair is currently growing, I think the current program is working pretty well. :-)Thanks for asking. As far as getting my hair back to health after my dieting fiasco...it took me about 1 year to recover my hair. I took no vitamins on my diet which was the problem. I did a liquid drink diet and my hair fell out in chunks. I lost about 1/3rd of the thickness of my hair. It eventually came back after about 3 years.As far as restoring hair to health...I will need to post another topic on that. It is pretty involved.Best wishesKarenKaren> Dear,Karen Please describe your hair care> routine.I'am also interested in how you got your> hair back to health after dieting.What vitamins> did you take your diet ect.some advice on restoring> hair to health would be appreciated.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sarah K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Karen,What are EFA? Are they good for your hair? Why?Sarah> Hi T...> OK...you asked for my gospel :-)> I wash my hair every day in the morning.> I almost never miss a day because my hair tends> to be a little dry and when I don't wash it daily,> it seems to get drier.> I try to stick with one hair care product> line at a time except when I am testing new products> which I do about 4x a year. I am currently in> love with ARTec and so I am using their Smoothing> Shampoo and Conditioner.> Before ARTec I only used Aveda and I would> alternate my routine. On Day #1 I would use Aveda> Shampure and Deep Conditioner with Curressence> Spray. Day #2 I would use Aveda Chamomile (for> blondes) and Curressence Conditioner. Day #3 I> would use Aveda Blue Malva and Cherry Almond Bark> and the Curressence Spray. The Blue Malva gives> my hair silver highlights and the Cherry Almond> enhances my natural waviness.> I would do one application of shampoo in> the shower under medium hot water. I would apply> the conditioner and leave on for about 5 minutes.> My final rinse was always cold water (brrrr but> worth it).> I would towel blot my hair and then blow> dry ONLY my bangs. I would pick out my hair with> an Efalock or similar smooth pick and then wrap> my hair up in a bun and attach a claw clip. I> let my hair air dry and in 2-3 hours I would take> it down and viola I would have lots of natural> waves.> I only blow dry my hair for special events> when I want it perfectly straight. Then I use> a professional hair dryer and use the slowest> coldest setting and always apply Aveda Elixir> first to protect it from the heat. Sometimes I> use Confixer if I want to play with my bangs a> little.> I get my hair trimmed religiously every 10> weeks and have my bangs trimmed every 4 weeks.> I also do a tiny split end trim every New Moon.> I clip just a teeny bit with professional scissors> (Tweezerman is great).> I have my hair highlighted every 4-5 months> with Matrix Socol. I have naturally medium blonde> hair and I have them do the cap method (which> takes 3 hours on my hair) to add lighter blonde> streaks and chunks. It looks wonderful and very> natural.> I do a deep condition 1-2x a week or as needed.> I use either Olive Oil and Rosemary oil or Aveda's> Beautifying Oil. Sometimes I mix the two together> (olive & B. Oil).> I never brush my hair except before I go> to bed to remove tangles. I currently have a 100%> Boar's Bristle brush that I am testing.> Vitamins: I take a multi B vitamin 2x a day,> Essential Fatty Acids (EFS), Vitamin C, Vitamin> E and Paba. I also take herbs and acidophilis> (powder). I eat at least 1 sheet of Nori seaweed> every day. I do not take hair vitamins. There> are a lot of reasons for my belief about hair> vitamins but that is a whole other topic. :-)>> I try to limit sugar, coffee, and other bad> hair foods in my diet. I don't always do perfect,> but I do try.> There are lot of other things I do for my> hair but the above covers the basics.> Hope that helps. I am always looking for> new tricks, but based on how well my hair is currently> growing, I think the current program is working> pretty well. :-)> Thanks for asking. As far as getting my hair> back to health after my dieting fiasco...it took> me about 1 year to recover my hair. I took no> vitamins on my diet which was the problem. I did> a liquid drink diet and my hair fell out in chunks.> I lost about 1/3rd of the thickness of my hair.> It eventually came back after about 3 years.> As far as restoring hair to health...I will> need to post another topic on that. It is pretty> involved.> Best wishes> Karen> Karen
Sarah
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Hey Sarah,EFA stands for essential fatty acids and they are really great for your hair.There are two known essential fatty acis: linolenic acid (also called the omega-3 fatty acids) and linoleic acid (omega-6). Omega-3 fatty acids are found in varying amounts in seeds, nuts and beans and the oils made from them, including flax seed, hemp, canola, soy and walnut.It is also found in dark green leafy veggies and in fish such as herring, salmon, cod and tune. Omega-6 acids are found in seeds, nuts and beands and the oils made from them, including flax seed, safflower, sunflower, hemp, soybean, walnut, pumpkin, and sesame. Evening primrose oil and borage and black currant oil, are also rich in omega-6 fatty acids.I pop a couple of EFAs in pill form every day. You can get them at the health food store. Ask for the highest quality or the best brand to make sure that they are not rancid.They are essential in forming and balancing a group of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins. They are also essential for healthy hair.Take care.Karen> Karen,> What are EFA? Are they good for your hair?> Why?> Sarah
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic