Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStraightening hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Michael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straightening hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
I need major and serious help. I have natural curly hair, and it bothers me to no extent. I want a length to near my shoulder's and straight. I have come close to achieving this with Climatress and a blow-drier, but not close enough. I recently cut off 4 inches because I thought this was unatainable, but now I am determined!In the past, I have pulled perms through my hair, blow dried with Climatress, and pulled straight back with holding gel and climatress. This all received mediocer results. I am now attempting to grow my hair out again.Any and all suggestions on how to battle the curls are welcome thanks!
hjhgj
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Hi Michael,Welcome to Hair Talk. As far as curly hair goes.....there are lots of really great products on the market today that do a great job of holding down the curls.  Straightening styling aids range from gels to balms. I have listed a few below:1.   Phytologie's Phytodefrisant relaxing balm 2.   KMS Flat Out 3.   Senscience's Straighten Out (a light non-oily gel) 4.   Redken's Straight hair balm. 5.   Sebastian's Get if Straitt straightening gel 6.   Joico's Straight Edge 7.   Graham Web's Stick Straight 8.   Fudge Erekt 9.   L'Anza Strait-Line relaxer 10. Freeman Super Straight Hair Straightening BalmWhen you want a straight look you may have to work at it, especially if you have naturally curly hair like yours.  Avoid using mousse products on your hair.  They will cause your hair to puff out and curl more.Invest in a good paddle brush and a good hair pick.  When you blow dry your hair, work in individual sections drying each section completely before you move to the next.  If your hair is left damp it will have the tendency to immediately curl. Remember to keep you hair conditioned (Aveda Cherry Almond Bark, Curressence or Deep Conditioner) so that the ends lay flat and reflect the light better.  The more water you remove from your hair before you dry it, the better.  Remember also that cool air will enhance curls so use a moderately hot blowdrier. Make sure you use a leave in conditioner to protect your hair from the blow dryer.A friend of mine has very curly hair and she has great luck straightening it with KMS Flat out. She uses a very large paddle brush and dries her hair with a blow dryer. The first time I met her I didn't know her hair was naturally curly. It was straighter than mine (I have wavy hair) and it looked great. She told me later she uses KMS and Phytologie to get the curls out.Good luck. Congrats on growing your hair out. If you hang out here at Hair Talk I am sure you will get lots of great ideas on how to deal with your curly hair. :-)KarenPS. If you decide to let the curls go natural...check out Ouidad's site.May 25, 1998 Q Dear Karen,I just returned from the salon and am once again disappointed in the results. I brought 5 pictures for the stylist to use as a reference and he ended up giving me the haircut that he wanted, not the one I wanted. Needless to say it's all uneven, looks really bad and I've no intention of going back to him so that he can mess it up even more. I usually end up cutting my own hair after returning from such a fiasco (I've already trimmed my bangs which were poking me in the eyes. My question is how do I cut layers (feathered?) on my own hair? Right now I can't afford to go to another salon to fix this lousy haircut.Can you help me or at least lead me to a web site that gives some info on techniques for cutting one's own hair? I'd really appreciate it. Many thanks,JillA Hi Jill,I am so very sorry to hear of your fiasco. Unfortuantely, this is a common situation that you can read about at http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/2307/ where people share all their terrible personal haircutting stories and experiences.Here are some web sites that deal with hair cutting videos or instructions or books. I am sure there are more, but these seem to be the most popular. I have included an email where appropriate.I can not personally recommend them since I have not used them. But it is a good starting point for you. If you do order any of the videos I would love to hear your feedback on them.Web Site #1 Salon SkillsEmail: order@salonskills.comSalon Skills have a large variety of haircutting videos. This is a very professional website with lots of photos from the actual videos.Their hair cutting videos include the following:Skills of Bob Skills of Graduation Skills of Layers Skills of Long Layers Skills of Men's Hair Shaping Skills of Kids Hair shaping Skills of Bi-LevelsSince you are specifically interested in learning to cut your hair in layers, it is significant to note that Salon Skills has a video on Skills of Layers as well as Skills of Long Layers.The Skills of Layers offers 3 different Layering techniques using 3 separate models and includes Flat Layers, Curved Layers and Round Layers.Salon Skills offers you 4 different Long Layering techniques on the Skills of Long Layers video using 4 separate models: Straight Long Layers, V'd Long Layers, Freefall Long Layers, and Freeform Long Layers.I can not speak for how good the videos are because I have never ordered them.There is one problem with this website. Prices do not seem to be obviously quoted anywhere on the site. I could not find the exact cost of the videos anywhere. The actual cost may be on the site somewhere, it was just not obvious to me. If you are interested in ordering the videos you will need to email the site first to get exact prices.Web Site #2 Home Hair WorksEmail: hair@hsnp.comThis simple site offers two different hair cutting and hair care videos with instructions by a professional. There is the Home Hairstyle Video and the Hair Works for Men video. The prices quoted for these two different videos are $19.95 a piece or a special price of 2 videos for $35.00 plus $3.00 for shipping.This website if simple in construction but direct and to the point on what videos are offered. The site advertises that the videos offer:Step by Step instructions to cut kids hair. Step by Step instructions to trim your husband's hair, beard & mustache. Basic Good Hair Care How to color your hair professionally yourselfAll instructions are by a licensed cosmetologist and are advertised that they are guaranteed to work if you follow the instructions.Web Site #3 Home Haircutting by JamesEmail: dolore@ziplink.netThis site is hosted by a professional that offers a single 2 hour video that is guaranteed to teach you the professional techniques of haircutting. The price for the video is advertised as $39.95 plus $2.95 shipping and handling. This site promises that you will make your video investment back in just 2 haircuts.Included with the two-hour video are the following tools to help in the actual process:Written step-by-step instructions. A glossary of professional terms. A list of helpful hints. Plastic clips, metal clips, a wide-toothed comb, a fine-toothed comb with inches marked on it, and one pair of professional quality scissors. Diagrams and illustrated charts of the structure of the bones of the head and the location of proper parts -- for a better overall understanding of haircutting. Nuisances like cowlicks and high hairlines are no longer problems.By taking advantage of this opportunity, the site advertises that you will:Avoid the inconvenience and expense of a salon. Learn a valuable service for your family and friends. Gain knowledge that you will keep for a lifetime. Be able to cut children's' hair And most important, you'll learn these valuable skills without paying the high tuition cost of a professional hairdressing school.This web site (like Salon Skills) shows photos of the actual models in the video and a positive note is the model with long hair. The web site advertises that the video teaches you how to trim long hair. The down side of this site is that it tells you to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. If you are in a hurry, this is not a fast solution. A money back guarantee is promised.Web Site #4 Kirby Smith's Hair Cutting CD-ROMEmail: noji@itsnet.comThis site sells a CD-ROM for $35.00 that advertises that it will show you step-by-step how to cut hair for family members with video examples of a girl, boy, woman and man. The CD-ROM is made by Kirby Smith, Hair Designer. The format is available in Windows (95 or 3.1) and Macintosh format, "Kirby Does Hair" will show you step-by-step how to cut hair for family members, including QuickTime® video examples of how to do a girl's, a boy's, a woman's, and a man's hair.Kirby does not charge shipping and handling fees, but he also does not tell you how fast he will get the CD-ROM to you. This is a simple site with very few details. Before you buy you may want to email Kirby for more details and to see if you get a money back guarantee.Web Site #5 Carolyn Taylor's Hair Cutting Books and Hair Cutting KitsEmail: sharri@sweethome.com1-800-690-1426This site has a two different videos for sale and offers a special hair cutting kit which includes everything you need to cut hair.Video #1 - Home Haircuts & Styles - Women & Girls - $19.95 + $3.00 Postage Video # 2 - Home Haircuts & Styles - Men & Boys - $19.95 + $3.00 Postage Hair Cutting Kit - Beauty salon in a bag - $29.95 + $5.00 Postage (Includes scissors, cutting capes, comb, duck bill clips, butterfly clips and your choice of either the Home Haircuts & Styles for Women & Girls or Men & Boys.)Milady's Standard Textbook Of Barber Stylingby Maura T. Scali-SheahanThis book has detailed and step-by-step procedures for hair cutting, coloring, waving and straightening. Not only are all the details included, but they are provided in a very clear format with lots of great illustrations. The purpose of this book is to help a student pass the state licensing exam. The price of the book ordered through Amazon.com is $49.95 plus shipping. It is an expensive book, but it is a hardback book with high quality textbook hair cutting and hair care information.ConclusionI am sure there are other hair cutting systems available on the net. The ones that I have listed are the ones that seem to offer a good variety of solutions.I hope this information gets you started on your path to successfully learning to successfully layering and trimming your own hair.You might want to enlist a good friend and make a deal that you can both learn from the videos or books and then take turns layering each other's hair. That would be a better way to guarantee total success.Please let me know how this all turns out for you.KarenMay 21, 1998 Q Dear Karen,I have heard that it is possible to lose your hair from wearing it in ponytails or braids.  Is this true?  What causes this to happen?  Does this mean that I shouldn't wear my long hair pulled back in a ponytail or in braids?  I am concerned since I love to wear ponytails. Thanks,Gloria A.A Dear Gloria,There is a common hair condition that is known as "traction alopecia" that can occur when the hair is put under pressure from constant pulling.  This can happen from tight ponytails or tightly braided hairstyles.  The tighter the braid or the ponytail, the more danger of traumatizing the hair follicles and the possibility that hair will fall out before the end of their natural growth cycle.  A natural hair growth cycle usually lasts around 4 years. People who wear tight braids or ponytails on a constant basis are more at risk than people who wear their hair pulled back only occasionally.  The other key is how tightly you pull the hair back and what type of band, clip or barrette you use to hold the ponytail or braids. Elastic bands or tight clips will also cause potential harm to the hair.  It can also pull hair out when you remove tight elastic bands or clips.Never use a rubber band on your hair. Loose hair scrunches or soft covered bands are the best selections to protect both the hair shaft and to prevent excessive tight pulling of the hair and scalp.Traction alopecia can be permanent but is usually only temporary.  When hair is pulled prematurely from a follicle before the end of its growth cycle, the follicle will make an instant transition to a resting stage and then after a few months (3-5 months) will begin to grow new hair back.Permanent loss will occur if the new hairs that grow back in are again subjected to continued tight pulling or stress.  If this happens repeatedly over a long period of time there can be a point where no new hair will grow back at all.  Then the hair loss is permanent.The bottom line is to limit how often you wear tight ponytails or braids, to use "hair friendly" clips, bands or scrunchies and to stop pulling your hair completely if you notice any signs of premature hair loss.The good news about traction alopecia is that you can control it and prevent it. Good luck.KarenApril 13, 1998 Q Dear Karen,Recently I have noticed that my hair seems overly brittle and breaks very very easily whenever I brush or comb it. This has never happened to me before. I am careful to use only the best brush and I let my hair air dry to avoid damage from hot hair appliances. I use only the best hair care products and always take vitamins for my hair. I don't smoke or perm or color my hair. Help. Any suggestions? I am very concerned.AmyA Dear Amy,Unfortunately, many people have a genetic tendency toward brittle hair. This may or may not be your case. However, you seem to be doing all the right things for your hair like avoiding hot styling tools, using good hair care products and not applying chemicals to your hair. If brittle hair does not seem to run in your family, you may be having thyroid problems. This can only be diagnosed by a medical professional. When the thyroid does not produce enough hormones one of the many symptoms include an unusual brittleness or loss of hair. A medical professional can run tests to determine if this is true in your case.One other possibility is the type of foods that you are eating. If you do not have enough fatty acids in your diet your hair can suffer. These fatty acids are found in fish and veggies. You can also take EFA or essential fatty acids in supplement form. You can buy them at your local health food store. Foods that contain fatty acids should make up about 3% of your annual food intake.When brittle hair is a problem it is important to consider the thyroid and nutrition as potential causes. Once you have ruled these out, the other causes can be overuse of hot hair tools, hair dyes or chemicals. Remember to never brush your hair when it is wet, which can also cause breakage or hair damage.March 30, 1998 Q Dear KarenI heard that Redken has some sort of hair product that is a gel or mousse that can be reused over and over with heat. Do you know the name of this product? Where can I purchase it? How does it work? Have you ever tried it and do you like Redken products for your hair?ConnieA Hi Connie,I think you are probably referring to Redken's Centigrade styling product. It comes in a very cool looking clear tube with a shiny silver spiral that glistens through the middle of the tube. I have used Centigrade in the past and found that it worked exactly like Redken says it does.Centigrade was designed to allow you to style and then re-style your hair with a light hold as many times as you like between shampoos. Redken advertises that Centigrade contains special polymers which respond well to heat activation. Basically you wash your hair and style with the Centigrade and a blow dryer. Before you wash your hair again, you can use a blow dryer to reactivate the Centigrade and restyle your hair. You can do this if your hair style gets flat or your want to do something different with your hair without first shampooing.Although I love all of the Aveda products and have used them for years, I think that Redken has some good hair care products as well. My current hair stylist strongly recommends Aveda, but she has also recommended some of the Redken products to me. I personally like some of the Redken shampoos and styling aides.Since I almost never blow dry my hair, the Centigrade product would not be very beneficial for me. I strongly recommend air drying as the best process for the healthy hair. However, if you like to blow dry your hair and you enjoy different styles without doing another shampoo, this product does work the way it is advertised.Another important point to remember about different hair care products is that they may not work for everyone's hair. Some products work great for some types of hair but not others.The best way to find out is to try it for yourself and make your own judgement. In my opinion everyone should experiment with different hair care products to find the ones that work the best on their hair. I think this is the case with the Centigrade. Try it, you may love it.Let me know what you think after you have tried it on your hair. You can email me at shelton@hiredguns.com. Good luck.KarenQ Dear Karen,I am a little confused by all the new hair care products that are currently on the market. Could you please tell me what is the difference between a hair mousse, hair gel, hair wax, and pomade? Also, could you please explain what the different products do and which products that you currently use on your hair.  Thanks.ChristyA Dear Christy,You are right, there are more choices for hair care than ever before. Hopefully I can give you some answers that will make it easier for you to decide what products would work best for your hair.The very first hair mousses were designed to give hair lightweight volume without a sticky feel. The bad news is that hair tended to go limp in just a few hours with the original mousse products. Often a hair mousse consisted of a light foam product that came in a pressured spray can. They sort of reminded me of a very light version of shaving cream. In the old days I used the Vidal Sassoon mousse and it worked great, until about 4 hours into my day. Then my hair would start to lose its body and volume.The original hair gels provided strong hold and control, but tended to weigh the hair down which would also make it flat.The new hair products on the market actually were designed to provide the benefits of both a gel and a mousse all in one product. Gels now do stuff like control frizz and provide shine without building up or flaking on your hair.The current hair care market includes mousse products, gel products, hair wax products, pomades and products that are a combination of mousse, gel and shine.A current example of good mousse hair products include Wella's Shine Mousse Pomade which advertises that it adds body and shine. Wella describes this product as a light mousse with a pomade effect which works best on fine and normal hair. This is not necessarily recommended for very thick or curly hair. You use the product to sculpt, mold or shine individual strands of hair or you can use it on the entire head for a big shine.Aveda has the Purfume Brilliant styling which is a humecant pomade product. It is designed to attract and retain moisture which will enhance curls. It is also designed to activate wave in naturally curly or permed hair. It has similar properties to a combined mousse/gel product since it provides body and shine.Aveda's Confixer product is a liquid gel and one of my personal favorites. It provides sculpting gel properties and gives hair a lot of control, conditioning and shine. It is not stiff or sticky (I use it all the time) and it will enhance curl, shape and control for most hair types.Redken has the Hotset Styling lotion which is great for hair that required body, volume, shine and condition. It works at providing hold without stickiness. I would describe this lotion as one of the combination products that provides the benefits of a good gel, mousse and shine enhancer.Paul Mitchell and Aveda both have good hair wax products. Paul Mitchell's Slick Works is a lightweight wax for fine to medium and chemically treated hair. It provides styling and finishing properties that enhance shine and provide sleek control, form and definition. Aveda has their Self Control hairy styling stick. It is designed to bring shine and control, even to hard to manage hair. It is advertised by Aveda as a type of pomade that is perfect for slicking hair at temples, nape and anywhere that extra styling hold is needed. This product does not flake or dry your hair and it washes out easily.If you want to try some other combination styling products, Wella has a great finishing spray, TIGI has an extra strong mousse and Keratase has a good energy and shine mousse with a protective formula.The best way to find the product that is right for you is to experiment with a few of the products that are available. I normally try to stick with one hair care product line since the products are usually designed to work well together and enhance the performance of each component of the line. However, I also have had good luck with using styling products from other lines. I will often use the Aveda shampoos and conditioners and then try one of the new mousse/gels to get a different effect with my hair. I have enjoyed the Redken and Paul Mitchell products although I love the Aveda Confixer and Purfume Brilliant. The best suggestion is to try the products and stick with the one that gives you the best results for your hair type.KarenMarch 19, 1998 Q Dear Karen,I have been patiently growing my hair out from a short layered look. My hair is now about to the middle of my back and all the layers have finally grown out. I am getting bored with wearing my hair down all the time and I want to do something different. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.Joan in PhoenixA Hi Joan,Congratulations for hanging in there and growing out your layers. I know that took a lot of effort and I am sure your hair looks great. Now that Spring is almost here you can change your look with a messy updo. One of my favorite updos is the "undone" bun look that is really hot for 98. The "undone" bun is better the messier you make it. You can create the bun in a matter of minutes and it works great for shoulder length or longer hair.Follow the following instructions to create a messy or "undone" hair bun:Use any good styling product with a lot of weight and hold. I have personally used Aveda's Confixer and Aveda's Flax Seed/Aloe Strong Hold Spray-On styling gel with good results for this bun. I dampen my hair slightly first, apply the Confixer or Flax Seed/Aloe spray and then repeat the rest of the steps. To apply the Confixer rub about a dime size dollop in your palms of your hands and then distribute through your hair. To apply the Flax Seed spray the gel lightly through your entire hair surface. Aveda's Flax Seed/Aloe Strong Hold Spray-On styling gel gives a lot of styling control to either wet or dry hair. It adds body and volume which increasing hold and control.Pull your hair into a firm, but not overly tight, ponytail at the crown and secure with a "hair friendly" elastic band. Do not use rubber bands or any bands that will tear the hair when you remove the band. Note: it is best not to pull the hair too tightly into the ponytail. If the ponytail is too tight you may experience a slight headache. Long term wearing of tight ponytails can actually encourage hair loss in some circumstances.Divide your hair into three equal sections.Twist each section corkscrew style and then bring it back in towards the elastic band. Then bobby-pin (lightly) to the base of the ponytail. When you are pinning, leave about 3 inches of the end sticking straight up. Make sure you use "hair friendly" bobby pins as well that do not have scratchy or sharp ends.Lightly backcomb or tease the individual hair bits with a comb and then spray the whole head with any strong holding hair spray. I personally like Aveda's Firmata. You can also try L'Oreal Studio Line Mighty Mist Mega Hold. Remember to be gentle when you backcomb so as not to break any hair.If you have bangs, either gel them back or lightly spike them up. You can jazz the bun up by brushing one of the color mascaras onto the bangs, at the temples or on the tips of the spiked hair pieces. This bun will work for just about any event. You can tone it down for a more business or formal event or spike it up for a fun evening out. If you like the idea of an updo, CLICK HERE to refer to my article on buns and check out the "slicked back" bun instructions.KarenTo ask Karen your question send e-mail to askkaren@hairboutique.com > I need major and serious help. I have natural> curly hair, and it bothers me to no extent. I> want a length to near my shoulder's and straight.> I have come close to achieving this with Climatress> and a blow-drier, but not close enough. I recently> cut off 4 inches because I thought this was unatainable,> but now I am determined!> In the past, I have pulled perms through> my hair, blow dried with Climatress, and pulled> straight back with holding gel and climatress.> This all received mediocer results. I am now attempting> to grow my hair out again.> Any and all suggestions on how to battle> the curls are welcome thanks!Related Link:Ouidad
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
I have used KMS Flat out for as long as it has been available and it works really great on my very curly hair.Jean> Hi Michael,> Welcome to Hair Talk. As far as curly hair> goes.....there are lots of really great products> on the market today that do a great job of holding> down the curls.  Straightening styling aids range> from gels to balms. > I have listed a few below:> 1.   Phytologie's Phytodefrisant relaxing> balm 2.   KMS Flat Out 3.   Senscience's Straighten> Out (a light non-oily gel) 4.   Redken's Straight hair> balm. 5.   Sebastian's Get if Straitt straightening> gel 6.   Joico's Straight Edge 7.   Graham Web's> Stick Straight 8.   Fudge Erekt 9.   L'Anza Strait-Line> relaxer 10. Freeman Super Straight Hair Straightening> Balm> When you want a straight look you may have> to work at it, especially if you have naturally> curly hair like yours.  Avoid using mousse products> on your hair.  They will cause your hair to puff> out and curl more.> Invest in a good paddle brush and a good> hair pick.  When you blow dry your hair, work> in individual sections drying each section completely> before you move to the next.  If your hair is> left damp it will have the tendency to immediately> curl. > Remember to keep you hair conditioned (Aveda> Cherry Almond Bark, Curressence or Deep Conditioner)> so that the ends lay flat and reflect the light> better.  > The more water you remove from your hair> before you dry it, the better.  Remember also> that cool air will enhance curls so use a moderately> hot blowdrier. Make sure you use a leave in conditioner> to protect your hair from the blow dryer.> A friend of mine has very curly hair and> she has great luck straightening it with KMS Flat> out. She uses a very large paddle brush and dries> her hair with a blow dryer. The first time I met> her I didn't know her hair was naturally curly.> It was straighter than mine (I have wavy hair)> and it looked great. She told me later she uses> KMS and Phytologie to get the curls out.> Good luck. Congrats on growing your hair> out. If you hang out here at Hair Talk I am sure> you will get lots of great ideas on how to deal> with your curly hair. :-)> Karen> PS. If you decide to let the curls go natural...check> out Ouidad's site.> May 25, 1998 Q Dear Karen,> I just returned from the salon and am once> again disappointed in the results. I brought 5> pictures for the stylist to use as a reference> and he ended up giving me the haircut that he> wanted, not the one I wanted. Needless to say> it's all uneven, looks really bad and I've no> intention of going back to him so that he can> mess it up even more. I usually end up cutting> my own hair after returning from such a fiasco> (I've already trimmed my bangs which were poking> me in the eyes. My question is how do I cut layers> (feathered?) on my own hair? Right now I can't> afford to go to another salon to fix this lousy> haircut.Can you help me or at least lead me to> a web site that gives some info on techniques> for cutting one's own hair? I'd really appreciate> it. Many thanks,> Jill> A Hi Jill,> I am so very sorry to hear of your fiasco.> Unfortuantely, this is a common situation that> you can read about at http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/2307/> where people share all their terrible personal> haircutting stories and experiences.> Here are some web sites that deal with hair> cutting videos or instructions or books. I am> sure there are more, but these seem to be the> most popular. I have included an email where appropriate.>> I can not personally recommend them since> I have not used them. But it is a good starting> point for you. If you do order any of the videos> I would love to hear your feedback on them.> Web Site #1 Salon Skills> Email: order@salonskills.com> Salon Skills have a large variety of haircutting> videos. This is a very professional website with> lots of photos from the actual videos.> Their hair cutting videos include the following:>> Skills of Bob Skills of Graduation Skills> of Layers Skills of Long Layers Skills of Men's> Hair Shaping Skills of Kids Hair shaping Skills> of Bi-Levels> Since you are specifically interested in> learning to cut your hair in layers, it is significant> to note that Salon Skills has a video on Skills> of Layers as well as Skills of Long Layers.> The Skills of Layers offers 3 different Layering> techniques using 3 separate models and includes> Flat Layers, Curved Layers and Round Layers.> Salon Skills offers you 4 different Long> Layering techniques on the Skills of Long Layers> video using 4 separate models: Straight Long Layers,> V'd Long Layers, Freefall Long Layers, and Freeform> Long Layers.> I can not speak for how good the videos are> because I have never ordered them.> There is one problem with this website. Prices> do not seem to be obviously quoted anywhere on> the site. I could not find the exact cost of the> videos anywhere. The actual cost may be on the> site somewhere, it was just not obvious to me.> If you are interested in ordering the videos you> will need to email the site first to get exact> prices.> Web Site #2 Home Hair Works> Email: hair@hsnp.com> This simple site offers two different hair> cutting and hair care videos with instructions> by a professional. There is the Home Hairstyle> Video and the Hair Works for Men video. The prices> quoted for these two different videos are $19.95> a piece or a special price of 2 videos for $35.00> plus $3.00 for shipping.> This website if simple in construction but> direct and to the point on what videos are offered.> The site advertises that the videos offer:> Step by Step instructions to cut kids hair.> Step by Step instructions to trim your husband's> hair, beard & mustache. Basic Good Hair Care> How to color your hair professionally yourself>> All instructions are by a licensed cosmetologist> and are advertised that they are guaranteed to> work if you follow the instructions.> Web Site #3 Home Haircutting by James> Email: dolore@ziplink.net> This site is hosted by a professional that> offers a single 2 hour video that is guaranteed> to teach you the professional techniques of haircutting.> The price for the video is advertised as $39.95> plus $2.95 shipping and handling. This site promises> that you will make your video investment back> in just 2 haircuts.> Included with the two-hour video are the> following tools to help in the actual process:>> Written step-by-step instructions. A glossary> of professional terms. A list of helpful hints.> Plastic clips, metal clips, a wide-toothed comb,> a fine-toothed comb with inches marked on it,> and one pair of professional quality scissors.> Diagrams and illustrated charts of the structure> of the bones of the head and the location of proper> parts -- for a better overall understanding of> haircutting. Nuisances like cowlicks and high> hairlines are no longer problems.> By taking advantage of this opportunity,> the site advertises that you will:> Avoid the inconvenience and expense of a> salon. Learn a valuable service for your family> and friends. Gain knowledge that you will keep> for a lifetime. Be able to cut children's' hair> And most important, you'll learn these valuable> skills without paying the high tuition cost of> a professional hairdressing school.> This web site (like Salon Skills) shows photos> of the actual models in the video and a positive> note is the model with long hair. The web site> advertises that the video teaches you how to trim> long hair. The down side of this site is that> it tells you to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.> If you are in a hurry, this is not a fast solution.> A money back guarantee is promised.> Web Site #4 Kirby Smith's Hair Cutting CD-ROM>> Email: noji@itsnet.com> This site sells a CD-ROM for $35.00 that> advertises that it will show you step-by-step> how to cut hair for family members with video> examples of a girl, boy, woman and man. The CD-ROM> is made by Kirby Smith, Hair Designer. The format> is available in Windows (95 or 3.1) and Macintosh> format, "Kirby Does Hair" will show> you step-by-step how to cut hair for family members,> including QuickTime® video examples of how to> do a girl's, a boy's, a woman's, and a man's hair.>> Kirby does not charge shipping and handling> fees, but he also does not tell you how fast he> will get the CD-ROM to you. This is a simple site> with very few details. Before you buy you may> want to email Kirby for more details and to see> if you get a money back guarantee.> Web Site #5 Carolyn Taylor's Hair Cutting> Books and Hair Cutting Kits> Email: sharri@sweethome.com> 1-800-690-1426> This site has a two different videos for> sale and offers a special hair cutting kit which> includes everything you need to cut hair.> Video #1 - Home Haircuts & Styles - Women> & Girls - $19.95 + $3.00 Postage Video # 2> - Home Haircuts & Styles - Men & Boys> - $19.95 + $3.00 Postage Hair Cutting Kit - Beauty> salon in a bag - $29.95 + $5.00 Postage (Includes> scissors, cutting capes, comb, duck bill clips,> butterfly clips and your choice of either the> Home Haircuts & Styles for Women & Girls> or Men & Boys.)> Milady's Standard Textbook Of Barber Styling>> by Maura T. Scali-Sheahan> This book has detailed and step-by-step procedures> for hair cutting, coloring, waving and straightening.> Not only are all the details included, but they> are provided in a very clear format with lots> of great illustrations. The purpose of this book> is to help a student pass the state licensing> exam. The price of the book ordered through Amazon.com> is $49.95 plus shipping. It is an expensive book,> but it is a hardback book with high quality textbook> hair cutting and hair care information.> Conclusion> I am sure there are other hair cutting systems> available on the net. The ones that I have listed> are the ones that seem to offer a good variety> of solutions.> I hope this information gets you started> on your path to successfully learning to successfully> layering and trimming your own hair.> You might want to enlist a good friend and> make a deal that you can both learn from the videos> or books and then take turns layering each other's> hair. That would be a better way to guarantee> total success.> Please let me know how this all turns out> for you.> Karen> May 21, 1998 Q Dear Karen,> I have heard that it is possible to lose> your hair from wearing it in ponytails or braids. > Is this true?  What causes this to happen?  Does> this mean that I shouldn't wear my long hair pulled> back in a ponytail or in braids?  I am concerned> since I love to wear ponytails. Thanks,> Gloria A.> A Dear Gloria,> There is a common hair condition that is> known as "traction alopecia" that can> occur when the hair is put under pressure from> constant pulling.  This can happen from tight> ponytails or tightly braided hairstyles.  The> tighter the braid or the ponytail, the more danger> of traumatizing the hair follicles and the possibility> that hair will fall out before the end of their> natural growth cycle.  A natural hair growth cycle> usually lasts around 4 years. > People who wear tight braids or ponytails> on a constant basis are more at risk than people> who wear their hair pulled back only occasionally. > The other key is how tightly you pull the hair> back and what type of band, clip or barrette you> use to hold the ponytail or braids. > Elastic bands or tight clips will also cause> potential harm to the hair.  It can also pull> hair out when you remove tight elastic bands or> clips.> Never use a rubber band on your hair. Loose> hair scrunches or soft covered bands are the best> selections to protect both the hair shaft and> to prevent excessive tight pulling of the hair> and scalp.> Traction alopecia can be permanent but is> usually only temporary.  When hair is pulled prematurely> from a follicle before the end of its growth cycle,> the follicle will make an instant transition to> a resting stage and then after a few months (3-5> months) will begin to grow new hair back.> Permanent loss will occur if the new hairs> that grow back in are again subjected to continued> tight pulling or stress.  If this happens repeatedly> over a long period of time there can be a point> where no new hair will grow back at all.  Then> the hair loss is permanent.> The bottom line is to limit how often you> wear tight ponytails or braids, to use "hair> friendly" clips, bands or scrunchies and> to stop pulling your hair completely if you notice> any signs of premature hair loss.> The good news about traction alopecia is> that you can control it and prevent it. Good luck.>> Karen> April 13, 1998 Q Dear Karen,> Recently I have noticed that my hair seems> overly brittle and breaks very very easily whenever> I brush or comb it. This has never happened to> me before. I am careful to use only the best brush> and I let my hair air dry to avoid damage from> hot hair appliances. I use only the best hair> care products and always take vitamins for my> hair. I don't smoke or perm or color my hair.> Help. Any suggestions? I am very concerned.> Amy> A Dear Amy,> Unfortunately, many people have a genetic> tendency toward brittle hair. This may or may> not be your case. However, you seem to be doing> all the right things for your hair like avoiding> hot styling tools, using good hair care products> and not applying chemicals to your hair. If brittle> hair does not seem to run in your family, you> may be having thyroid problems. This can only> be diagnosed by a medical professional. When the> thyroid does not produce enough hormones one of> the many symptoms include an unusual brittleness> or loss of hair. A medical professional can run> tests to determine if this is true in your case.>> One other possibility is the type of foods> that you are eating. If you do not have enough> fatty acids in your diet your hair can suffer.> These fatty acids are found in fish and veggies.> You can also take EFA or essential fatty acids> in supplement form. You can buy them at your local> health food store. Foods that contain fatty acids> should make up about 3% of your annual food intake.>> When brittle hair is a problem it is important> to consider the thyroid and nutrition as potential> causes. Once you have ruled these out, the other> causes can be overuse of hot hair tools, hair> dyes or chemicals. Remember to never brush your> hair when it is wet, which can also cause breakage> or hair damage.> March 30, 1998 Q Dear Karen> I heard that Redken has some sort of hair> product that is a gel or mousse that can be reused> over and over with heat. Do you know the name> of this product? Where can I purchase it? How> does it work? Have you ever tried it and do you> like Redken products for your hair?> Connie> A Hi Connie,> I think you are probably referring to Redken's> Centigrade styling product. It comes in a very> cool looking clear tube with a shiny silver spiral> that glistens through the middle of the tube.> I have used Centigrade in the past and found that> it worked exactly like Redken says it does.> Centigrade was designed to allow you to style> and then re-style your hair with a light hold> as many times as you like between shampoos. Redken> advertises that Centigrade contains special polymers> which respond well to heat activation. Basically> you wash your hair and style with the Centigrade> and a blow dryer. Before you wash your hair again,> you can use a blow dryer to reactivate the Centigrade> and restyle your hair. You can do this if your> hair style gets flat or your want to do something> different with your hair without first shampooing.>> Although I love all of the Aveda products> and have used them for years, I think that Redken> has some good hair care products as well. My current> hair stylist strongly recommends Aveda, but she> has also recommended some of the Redken products> to me. I personally like some of the Redken shampoos> and styling aides.> Since I almost never blow dry my hair, the> Centigrade product would not be very beneficial> for me. I strongly recommend air drying as the> best process for the healthy hair. However, if> you like to blow dry your hair and you enjoy different> styles without doing another shampoo, this product> does work the way it is advertised.> Another important point to remember about> different hair care products is that they may> not work for everyone's hair. Some products work> great for some types of hair but not others.> The best way to find out is to try it for> yourself and make your own judgement. In my opinion> everyone should experiment with different hair> care products to find the ones that work the best> on their hair. I think this is the case with the> Centigrade. Try it, you may love it.> Let me know what you think after you have> tried it on your hair. You can email me at shelton@hiredguns.com.> Good luck.> Karen> Q Dear Karen,> I am a little confused by all the new hair> care products that are currently on the market.> Could you please tell me what is the difference> between a hair mousse, hair gel, hair wax, and> pomade? Also, could you please explain what the> different products do and which products that> you currently use on your hair.  Thanks.> Christy> A Dear Christy,> You are right, there are more choices for> hair care than ever before. Hopefully I can give> you some answers that will make it easier for> you to decide what products would work best for> your hair.> The very first hair mousses were designed> to give hair lightweight volume without a sticky> feel. The bad news is that hair tended to go limp> in just a few hours with the original mousse products.> Often a hair mousse consisted of a light foam> product that came in a pressured spray can. They> sort of reminded me of a very light version of> shaving cream. In the old days I used the Vidal> Sassoon mousse and it worked great, until about> 4 hours into my day. Then my hair would start> to lose its body and volume.> The original hair gels provided strong hold> and control, but tended to weigh the hair down> which would also make it flat.> The new hair products on the market actually> were designed to provide the benefits of both> a gel and a mousse all in one product. Gels now> do stuff like control frizz and provide shine> without building up or flaking on your hair.> The current hair care market includes mousse> products, gel products, hair wax products, pomades> and products that are a combination of mousse,> gel and shine.> A current example of good mousse hair products> include Wella's Shine Mousse Pomade which advertises> that it adds body and shine. Wella describes this> product as a light mousse with a pomade effect> which works best on fine and normal hair. This> is not necessarily recommended for very thick> or curly hair. You use the product to sculpt,> mold or shine individual strands of hair or you> can use it on the entire head for a big shine.>> Aveda has the Purfume Brilliant styling which> is a humecant pomade product. It is designed to> attract and retain moisture which will enhance> curls. It is also designed to activate wave in> naturally curly or permed hair. It has similar> properties to a combined mousse/gel product since> it provides body and shine.> Aveda's Confixer product is a liquid gel> and one of my personal favorites. It provides> sculpting gel properties and gives hair a lot> of control, conditioning and shine. It is not> stiff or sticky (I use it all the time) and it> will enhance curl, shape and control for most> hair types.> Redken has the Hotset Styling lotion which> is great for hair that required body, volume,> shine and condition. It works at providing hold> without stickiness. I would describe this lotion> as one of the combination products that provides> the benefits of a good gel, mousse and shine enhancer.>> Paul Mitchell and Aveda both have good hair> wax products. Paul Mitchell's Slick Works is a> lightweight wax for fine to medium and chemically> treated hair. It provides styling and finishing> properties that enhance shine and provide sleek> control, form and definition. Aveda has their> Self Control hairy styling stick. It is designed> to bring shine and control, even to hard to manage> hair. It is advertised by Aveda as a type of pomade> that is perfect for slicking hair at temples,> nape and anywhere that extra styling hold is needed.> This product does not flake or dry your hair and> it washes out easily.> If you want to try some other combination> styling products, Wella has a great finishing> spray, TIGI has an extra strong mousse and Keratase> has a good energy and shine mousse with a protective> formula.> The best way to find the product that is> right for you is to experiment with a few of the> products that are available. I normally try to> stick with one hair care product line since the> products are usually designed to work well together> and enhance the performance of each component> of the line. However, I also have had good luck> with using styling products from other lines.> I will often use the Aveda shampoos and conditioners> and then try one of the new mousse/gels to get> a different effect with my hair. I have enjoyed> the Redken and Paul Mitchell products although> I love the Aveda Confixer and Purfume Brilliant.> The best suggestion is to try the products and> stick with the one that gives you the best results> for your hair type.> Karen> March 19, 1998 Q Dear Karen,> I have been patiently growing my hair out> from a short layered look. My hair is now about> to the middle of my back and all the layers have> finally grown out. I am getting bored with wearing> my hair down all the time and I want to do something> different. Any suggestions would be appreciated.> Thanks.> Joan in Phoenix> A Hi Joan,> Congratulations for hanging in there and> growing out your layers. I know that took a lot> of effort and I am sure your hair looks great.> Now that Spring is almost here you can change> your look with a messy updo. One of my favorite> updos is the "undone" bun look that> is really hot for 98. The "undone" bun> is better the messier you make it. You can create> the bun in a matter of minutes and it works great> for shoulder length or longer hair.> Follow the following instructions to create> a messy or "undone" hair bun:> Use any good styling product with a lot of> weight and hold. I have personally used Aveda's> Confixer and Aveda's Flax Seed/Aloe Strong Hold> Spray-On styling gel with good results for this> bun. I dampen my hair slightly first, apply the> Confixer or Flax Seed/Aloe spray and then repeat> the rest of the steps. To apply the Confixer rub> about a dime size dollop in your palms of your> hands and then distribute through your hair. To> apply the Flax Seed spray the gel lightly through> your entire hair surface. Aveda's Flax Seed/Aloe> Strong Hold Spray-On styling gel gives a lot of> styling control to either wet or dry hair. It> adds body and volume which increasing hold and> control.> Pull your hair into a firm, but not overly> tight, ponytail at the crown and secure with a> "hair friendly" elastic band. Do not> use rubber bands or any bands that will tear the> hair when you remove the band. Note: it is best> not to pull the hair too tightly into the ponytail.> If the ponytail is too tight you may experience> a slight headache. Long term wearing of tight> ponytails can actually encourage hair loss in> some circumstances.> Divide your hair into three equal sections.>> Twist each section corkscrew style and then> bring it back in towards the elastic band. Then> bobby-pin (lightly) to the base of the ponytail.> When you are pinning, leave about 3 inches of> the end sticking straight up. Make sure you use> "hair friendly" bobby pins as well that> do not have scratchy or sharp ends.> Lightly backcomb or tease the individual> hair bits with a comb and then spray the whole> head with any strong holding hair spray. I personally> like Aveda's Firmata. You can also try L'Oreal> Studio Line Mighty Mist Mega Hold. Remember to> be gentle when you backcomb so as not to break> any hair.> If you have bangs, either gel them back or> lightly spike them up. You can jazz the bun up> by brushing one of the color mascaras onto the> bangs, at the temples or on the tips of the spiked> hair pieces. This bun will work for just about> any event. You can tone it down for a more business> or formal event or spike it up for a fun evening> out. If you like the idea of an updo, CLICK HERE> to refer to my article on buns and check out the> "slicked back" bun instructions.> Karen> To ask Karen your question send e-mail to> askkaren@hairboutique.com>  
maggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
I didn't work for me. I tried and hoped it would. I heard so many people that had luck with it but my hair just wouldn't stay straight with it.Maggie> I have used KMS Flat out for as long as it> has been available and it works really great on> my very curly hair.> Jean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic