Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Hair Won't Stay In A Bun - Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
S View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Hair Won't Stay In A Bun - Please Help
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
Hello-I am a dancer, (ballet, jazz, tap) and I am almost 15 years old. I can have dance rehersals for 3 hours or more, and my hair won't stay in a bun (required) for more than a hour. My bobby pins are always shooting out of my bun. I have long hair (about 4 inches past my shoulders) I REALLY need an idea for a GOOD, HOLDING, bun. I have tried clips and things but they don't stay as long as I need them. Do you have ANY ideas???-S
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:05am
> I am a dancer, (ballet, jazz, tap) and I> am almost 15 years old. I can have dance rehersals> for 3 hours or more, and my hair won't stay in> a bun (required) for more than a hour. My bobby> pins are always shooting out of my bun. I have> long hair (about 4 inches past my shoulders) I> REALLY need an idea for a GOOD, HOLDING, bun.> I have tried clips and things but they don't stay> as long as I need them. Do you have ANY ideas???Get all the tangles out of your hair. Put it in a high ponytail with a hair-safe elastic (no little metal thing, no actualy elastic showing) or scrunchie. Wrap it into a bun, pinning as you go - every quarter-turn or more.Then cut the foot off an old pair of sheer pantyhose - "nude" works fairly well for brown hair, something lighter or darker as your hair color suggests. Put this over your bun and stretch it tight, gathering all the slack against your head. Wrap a scrunchie around to hold it in place.Many dancers who do traditional Highland (Scottish) dance here in the US use a strategy similar to this. They often buy fancy nets, but an old pair of pantyhose is much cheaper and works just as well. I've seen some Highland dancers who didn't even bother making a bun, but just stuffed their hair in the net any old way. A real bun looks much better, though.Good luck!Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Jennifer J View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:06am
> Get all the tangles out of your hair. Put> it in a high ponytail with a hair-safe elastic> (no little metal thing, no actualy elastic showing)> or scrunchie. Wrap it into a bun, pinning as you> go - every quarter-turn or more.OK... my big dancer's tip for hair-safe elastics that REALLY hold your hair: If you wear footless, stirrup or convertable tights, cut the little "cuff" off the bottom edge of your old tights and use it to put your hair up. It holds better than any commercially availible hair-safe elastic out there... as good as the bad ones with metal bits.Also you might want to try braiding your hair before you wrap it into a bun... that should give the bobby pins a bit more to hold onto.-jennifer j
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic