Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan you strip light blonde hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you strip light blonde hair?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:31am
I've always wondered this, but I can never seem to get a straight answer. I have naturally medium dark blonde hair that I have lightened with an allover color to a very light golden blonde color(similar to Heather Locklear's current color). On most occasions, I only have my roots done and freshen up the ends with Aveda's Purescriptions Custom color shampoo and conditioner. So, do I still need to be concerned with using a shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair? Since my hair is lightened, I'm not sure how you would actually strip the haircolor.Also, if anyone has used the Aveda custom color shampoo and conditioner, can you compare to ARtec's color line? I was thinking about switching because Aveda's doesn't seem to produce very noticable results. I also have a problem with the Aveda building up on my fine, straight hair.Thanks!Kara
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:31am
> I've always wondered this, but I can never seem to get> a straight answer. I have naturally medium dark blonde> hair that I have lightened with an allover color to a> very light golden blonde color(similar to Heather> Locklear's current color). On most occasions, I only> have my roots done and freshen up the ends with> Aveda's Purescriptions Custom color shampoo and> conditioner. So, do I still need to be concerned with> using a shampoo and conditioner for color-treated> hair? Since my hair is lightened, I'm not sure how you> would actually strip the haircolor.> Also, if anyone has used the Aveda custom color> shampoo and conditioner, can you compare to ARtec's> color line? I was thinking about switching because> Aveda's doesn't seem to produce very noticable> results. I also have a problem with the Aveda building> up on my fine, straight hair.> Thanks!> KaraTo Kara;I am not quite sure if I totally understand your term 'strip' as you intend it to be understood. If you want to 'remove' the haircolor, a permanent haircolor remover such as Clairol Metalex can be used to remove the color 'deposited' in the hairshaft now. However a word of caution--this will reveal the 'lightened, changed, hair 'base' color as it is now, not your original, virgin color hair as you knew it, before coloring. The ash blonde color that is on your hair now replaces certain undertones that were removed when the hair is lightened, thus 'correcting' the color to what you have now, instead of an orange/yellow undertone if a neutral blonde color was used. william
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:31am
> To Kara;> I am not quite sure if I totally understand your term> 'strip' as you intend it to be understood. If you want> to 'remove' the haircolor, a permanent haircolor> remover such as Clairol Metalex can be used to remove> the color 'deposited' in the hairshaft now. However a> word of caution--this will reveal the 'lightened,> changed, hair 'base' color as it is now, not your> original, virgin color hair as you knew it, before> coloring. The ash blonde color that is on your hair> now replaces certain undertones that were removed when> the hair is lightened, thus 'correcting' the color to> what you have now, instead of an orange/yellow> undertone if a neutral blonde color was used. williamMost stylists suggest a color safe shampoo too avoi stripping color but also because of its gentler cleansing action which surely has to be safer for all hairtypes.
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:31am
What I meant by this is, should I be concerned with what type of shampoo I use? Some people have a problem with shampoos stripping their color from their hair, so they need to strictly use something that's designed for color-treated hair. Since my hair is lightened(30vol developer with level 9 color added) only at the roots, is it necessary for me to *always* use a shampoo for color-treated hair? I'm just wondering if it's possible to 'strip' hair that's been lightened with the wrong type of shampoos?I hope that clarifies.Kara
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:31am
> What I meant by this is, should I be concerned with> what type of shampoo I use? Some people have a problem> with shampoos stripping their color from their hair,> so they need to strictly use something that's designed> for color-treated hair. Since my hair is> lightened(30vol developer with level 9 color added)> only at the roots, is it necessary for me to *always*> use a shampoo for color-treated hair? I'm just> wondering if it's possible to 'strip' hair that's been> lightened with the wrong type of shampoos?> I hope that clarifies.> KaraTo Kara;When I posted my response I thought to myself if this really is what you meant me to understand?, in my thick skull! Please excuse me for getting carried away, yes, a color treated formula shampoo should always be used, just as jj said(thank you JJ) and a good light conditioner also. Compare your hair to fishscales on a fish, when you color it, it raises them up, allowing the color or perming solution to penetrate to the innerparts of the hair. However, they never quite 'lay down and close up again', this is what gives your hair more 'body or roughness' after most chemical services, and it allows shampoo to penetrate deeper, lifting the color pigment out faster than virgin hair. william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic