Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extendtubes..Never done 'em

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperFly9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFly9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extendtubes..Never done 'em
    Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:36pm
Good evening ladies!
New member here with a question...what an awesome site by the way.... I am just looking for some insight or even advice...I've done the weft hair extensions (with the braiding and sewing for quite some time now. Learned from a friend who is a professional stylist in Hollywood, Ca. and I starting doing extensions for my sister, who is a very successful stripper and then starting doing her co-workers and just hung with it as of two years ago. I have a friend at work who is begging me to pull out my old extension equipement and knowledge again but she wants to have extend tubing done to the top-crown area of her head? I have all the supplies encluding the tubes but have never actually applied them and even though she knows this still is anticipating getting her hair done.... Is there anything that anyone of you think is imperative I should know before I start?
Kori T.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:42pm
Hey Kori, welcome! Read my thread just down a bit... the heading is "microlinks and extentubes"
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:44pm
Welcome, Kori.

Ditto what Bridget said.

Also, there's an Extensions 101 thread up top that has some links to Extendtube/Microring tutorials that might be helpful.

Good luck! :)
SuperFly9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFly9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:51pm
Thank you lots ! ! Reading them now....
Kori T.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 10:56am
Any kind of extension needs to have at least some hair out on the crown to cover up where the extensions are, unless of course you don't care if they are visible.
SuperFly9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFly9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 1:41am
No, of course we do not want them to show. I've seen alot of pics of women with short hair (like mine) and then a pic of them with 18-22 inch hair. How can you do this without it being so darn noticable especially around the crown where it would really show? I have short-shoulder length hair and would LOVE to have this form of extention (tubes) done, am I donna look obvious? .....also, I notice from looking at all the examples and pics...I've seen them put in with the extension applied UNDER the clients hair...and pics of them over...inside the tube. Does it really make a difference? I have been practicing alot with a friend and we have been sampling both ways, we do NOT want them to show... what do you advise?
Kori T.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 8:08am
Hey Kori,

I love your photo!

I suppose you could do it either way, but I would definitely apply the extension hair over the real hair when doing extendtubes--like this http://www.drlocks.net/linkiesprebond/index.htm
It will allow you to conceal the shorter hair better.

As far as it looking obvious, if you have a good texture and color match, and you style your real hair on top so that it sort of "blends in" with the extension hair, it shouldn't look too obvious. Adding some layers can help, too, with certain kinds of hair (moreso with curly or wavy hair, imo).

The farther up you apply the tubes on the head, the less real hair you'll have showing obviously, but there comes a point where you'll want to stop (probably at the crown) because they'll become too visible. Those small-size extendtubes are tiny, so you may want to use those in the more visible areas. With thick hair (especially if it has some body), you can really go quite high up; with thinner hair, the placement can be a bit more tricky, imo. But you'll instinctively know when enough is enough as you work your way up the head, like with any other method. As you apply them, make sure to stop every so often and shake your head around, to see whether they're visible as your hair moves.

My hair's pretty short on top (3 to 4 inches, I'd say), and it's very thin and straight. This is an advantage when it comes to styling, because the hair blends more easily and can just be sprayed down and combed over the connections somewhat strategically. The downside to that is that thin, straight hair will not conceal any connections as well as thick, wavy hair would, for example.

:)
SuperFly9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFly9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 10:08pm
Photo of me on my old mare in Pismo on the beach. I own 4 horses and race full time.....
Anyways, you're advise is extremely helpful. I will be sure to post before and after pics. I am curious to know if you do this for a living as it seem. I'm wondering if you are local to me.. a close-by salon that does extensions perhaps?
Kori T.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 3:50am
Oh, no--I'm not a stylist. You don't even want me touching your hair--lol!

A few threads up, some girls are looking for guinea pigs, though. You might want to check it out. Is Kristin in your area? She may be able to help, too.

Good luck! :)
SuperFly9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperFly9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 11:17pm
Thank you very much for your input...I can't tell you how I appreciate it...from everyone. This site is so kewl..... I'm learning so much just from reading everyone's comments, suggestions and questions.

Again, Thank you.
KT
Kori T.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic