Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexis Biedel (Gilmore Girls)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexis Biedel (Gilmore Girls)
    Posted: October 09 2003 at 7:57am
The previews for next weeks episode show her with a mid-length bob. I guess since Rory is now a college freshman, she need a more "mature" haircut. ;)

The trailer can be found here:

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Episode/0,8201,||1576,00.html
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 4:32pm
Pretty bland 'do, but kinda cute. I'm just trying to figure out how she avoided getting bangs. They are the hot thing now and she needs 'em with her high forehead. Not sure how the stylist let that opportunity slip through his or her fingers.

JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
shorthair75_2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthair75_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 6:30pm
Looks nice, JF is right about the bangs, but she is still cute. I have been waiting a long time for her to go shorter. She just had severl inches cut a few months back so it fell just below her shoulders. I guess it was a lead up to this. Its a good lenght, not to short and not to long, perfect since she is heading to college on the show.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 7:49pm
The link didn't work for me, so I don't know what her hair looks like. I don't know if there's a context on the show, but it's typical of freshmen girls to cut their hair when they get to school. I've done college recruiting for my alma mater and seen it a lot.

It's some combination of rebellion, individuality, or just a change from high school girl to college woman. If that's the reason, then it shows the writers understand the impact of college on freshman girls.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:12pm
I saw the preview too, and thought it probably isn't the best look for her. It makes her look much younger. The long hair was a great style for her.
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

The link didn't work for me

Just go to:

www.thewb.com

and click on Gilmore Girls on the left & then the link to next weeks episode.

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 9:47am
Rateing do you think they are going to go down?Like Felicity?
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 5:48pm
I'm not sure if the ratings will go down. The cut doesn't seem as awful as the Felicity cut, so I think it'll be ok. It'll take a few weeks to see how audiences respond.

Altho I wonder who came up with the idea for the cut. I thought the WB was really strict about hair because of what happened after the Felicity cut.
Native View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 6:04pm
It likely won't effect the ratings. Gilmore Girls' popularity isn't based on the attractiveness of the characters.

Frankly, Felicity's ratings drop likely had little to do with the haircut, although it may not have helped.There were a lot of other things working against Felicity, and the cut was just as easy blame.

As for the WB, they've abandoned that policy. See Charisma Carpenter, Michelle Williams, Allison Mack etc.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 6:17pm
And if you want real dramatic, see Alyssa Milano. I don't think the WB really had a formal policy. They just didn't want any dramatic haircuts for awhile. The announcement was good PR.

Rarely is an actress so defined with a haircut by her fans as Keri Russell was. Her fans were young girls, who tend to react emotionally. They hated the cut. And the middle-aged men who feel something is stolen from them when a beautiful woman goes short reacted emotionally too. I remember reading two different newspaper opinion pieces written by men telling women not to go short.

The maelstorm about Felicity's hair didn't cause the ratings to drop. Teenage girls aren't going to skip a show for that reason. Middle aged men, on the other hand, might. Since they weren't the audience, it wasn't a factor. The show switched nights from the first to second seasons (Wednesday to Sunday, I think) and the story line (Ben vs. Noel) turned off fans. The show was never a hit, before or after the cut, despite getting it a lot of press. They went on for three years after the cut, so, clearly, the haircut didn't kill the show.

It seems obvious now that the fans were so attached to Keri's long hair. And the haircut was really short. I can't think of another actress whose fans would react that negatively if she cut her hair real short.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 11:42pm
I can't believe people are still talking about the Felicity hair thing years after it happened :-P . No wonder women aren't more adventurous with their hair, if cutting it short even once causes men to react badly for years to come :-( .
*shrugs* But I thought it was nice to see her face for once, myself. You can never tell whether a woman is attractive or not if her hair is always overwhelming her face. The real test of whether a woman looks good or not comes when her face is out there for all to clearly see, nothing to hide behind.
More awesome than a manatee!
Native View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2003 at 8:02pm
Saw the show. The hair is cute. Neither better nor worse than before. I think it does, in fact, make her look a little more college age. And a new haircut is what a lot of girls do in their freshman year.

Bonus for the Persis Khambatta reference.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Native Native wrote:

Saw the show. The hair is cute. Neither better nor worse than before. I think it does, in fact, make her look a little more college age. And a new haircut is what a lot of girls do in their freshman year.

Bonus for the Persis Khambatta reference.

I think that's because Jane Espenson wrote the episode. She was an executive producer on "Buffy," a show full of sci-fi and sci-fi references. "Buffy" was a show with an ordinary look at the extraordinary, while "Gilmore Girls" takes an extraordinary look at the ordinary with the fast-paced dialogue. Made for an interesting mix of a show.

For Alexis, this is a bad cut. It's a shorter version of what she had. While the one length blunt cut looked cute below the shoulders, it's kind of boring on her.

For Rory, the cut isn't so bad. College freshmen don't usually have trendy haircuts and she's nervously pushes the hair behind her ears a lot. While Alexis might not get her hair cut at low priced cuttery, Rory might.
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 11:44am
I prefer it a little longer. She's so cute, but her hair looked too boring.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
Curlyfan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2003 at 10:35am
From the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, hitting newsstands this Tuesday, page 16:

"HAIR CARE CORNER
Hey, Keri Russell: You're off the hook! On Oct. 14's Gilmore Girls, Alexis Bledel debuted a new short cut. Given that former WBer Felicity hemorrhaged viewers after her 1999 chop, is this wise? 'It's a subtle way of showing her pull away [at] college,' says creator Amy Sherman-Palladino. 'Plus, we're ******s for publicity. A hand can come off if it'll get us more press!'"

While I'm impressed that EW noticed this relatively minor hair change from a relatively minor part of the pop culture landscape, I'm annoyed that they draw the parallel with Felicity. Keri Russell was the main character of her show, her long hair was celebrated in and of itself, and her cut was much more dramatic. Plus, as we know, the cut wasn't the cause of the drop in viewership!

Anyway, based on the pic in EW, I agree with most here that hte new 'do is cute, but kind of blah. I'm also surprised she didn't add bangs, layers, flips, anything to break it up a bit (all of which are also trendy right now). Plus, I really liked the way she was starting to dress up her longer hair at the end of last season, with some side parts, waves, and curls. Now we're back to middle part, straight, and plain.

Ah, well. Jennifer Aniston's bangs balance it out.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2003 at 12:15am
Talk about overreacting :-P . Her hair is neither actually short nor that big a change, so why make such a big story out of nothing?
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic