Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cool or warm shades or blonde??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KurlyKat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KurlyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cool or warm shades or blonde??
    Posted: July 10 2002 at 6:36am
hi i`m asian with medium skin. i have bleached hair and i want to go for a more natural blonde shade. should i go for cool/ash shades or warm golden shades??
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 7:27am
That depends if your coloring is warm or cool: if you look better in pastels, blues and violets (for clothes and makeup) cool/ashen hair would be more flattering. If browns, golds and deep yellows/oranges look best, then you might want to try a warmer color.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
KurlyKat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KurlyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 10:41am
i wear mostly blues, violets and dark colors but im not too sure what my coloring is. can u help me decide? here`s a picture of me

http://kayetogade.homestead.com/files/01.jpg" height=250 width=200>
OnlyME15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyME15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 11:40am
I think you should try warm shades.
a life without hair is no life at all
Sunshine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 12:04pm
The colors you describe wearing are `cool` colors. Can you wear yellow or peach or brown or orange or olive/army green? Do you prefer wearing gold or silver?

I can`t wear warm colors without my skin looking all the more sallow. So burgundy reds look much better on me than warm orange reds when I dye my hair. I wear all the same colors you described. Ash tones are better for me. I`d say you`d want to go with ash tones too, but maybe a consultation at a salon where they can actually see you in person would settle the matter. :)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 1:04pm
You`re very pretty :-) I agree with the above poster who suggested warm shades judging by the poster--your skin looks to have an olive tone. I would talk to a professional who knows about color analysis. Or try searching the web for color analysis guidelines. Here`s one site I found:

http://www.stylemakeovers.com/colortest/color_module.htm

Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sunshine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 1:32pm
I have been told I have olive skin. I went to a salon to have my colors analyzed and I am a `winter`. Which means I need to wear cool tones to look my best. It was a fun experience. You literally see the differences in your appearance as they drape different colors around you. Also means ash tones for hair. I clicked on the above link and got the same results. I only wish I could pull off warm golden colors! Sometimes I do it just for a change because I want to and don`t care about cool ash tones looking best on me!

So far two people are saying warm while I say cool, but that`s not to say you have the same coloring as I do. Majority rules, but I think a professional should have the final vote.
KurlyKat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KurlyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 1:53pm
Thanks for the advice. I went to the web site and found out I`m a deep winter so I guess i`ll be using cool shades. =)
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 10:27pm
Well, maybe some color expert is reading & can answer me this. I am a winter also and have always worn those colors for clothing. But my hair does not work with cool/ash tones at all! I always use warm golden tones on my hair. And...I can wear warm or cool colors on my face. Whats up with this?? Can you be two categories at the same time?? (I shoulda` been a Gemini!)
OnlyME15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyME15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2002 at 3:54am
I still think warm shades will look best on you.
When you say warm shades do you mean blonde( like honey blonde) or all the other warm colours?
Can you picture yourself in platina blond, then go for it! But I am warning you, I tryid to bleach my hair once, it went really wrong and turned out, light blonde with some orange in it, and I can tell you this : It didn`t look pretty! So I had to color it over- the next day! My hair is still recovering from my huge misstake, but I coulden`t have blonde hair, It looked terrible!And My natural hair is golden brown to dark blonde.
you have black hair, right?
It would take a lot of bleaching to get it to a ash tone, and are you sure It will look natural?
And - bleaching is not good for your hair!
Hope this can help you decide!
a life without hair is no life at all
Sunshine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2002 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by AggiePam AggiePam wrote:

Well, maybe some color expert is reading & can answer me this. I am a winter also and have always worn those colors for clothing. But my hair does not work with cool/ash tones at all! I always use warm golden tones on my hair. And...I can wear warm or cool colors on my face. Whats up with this?? Can you be two categories at the same time?? (I shoulda' been a Gemini!)

Hi :) The color analysis helps narrow down color families that best complement your skin and hair tones. Even so, I will wear colors that are not in my color family because I like them. And I don`t always go with ash dyes, I tend towards auburn. But I do try to pick a blue-red (burgundy) over an orange red (warm). Sometimes ash dyes have a tendency to make my hair pick up greenish hues, which is not complementary to my olive skin.

So really, the best rule of thumb is to go with what you feel good with! As to whether or not is it possible to be in two seasons at once (`Winter/Summer/Spring/Fall`), it is thought that Winter can look good in Summer`s cooler colors, while Spring and Fall can also look good sharing those warmer colors.

I have read that if a person with olive skin and dark hair wants to go blonde, either platinum blonde or wheat blonde would best complement their skin tones. I see a lot of brunettes going wheat blonde and it looks good. I think going platinum would really strip the hair.
KurlyKat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KurlyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2002 at 11:38pm
what exactly is wheat blonde? a picture would help =)
Sunshine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 3:34pm
Sorry...I just now found this thread again. Wheat blonde. Okay, I`m thinking of the brunettes I`ve seen in show business who have gone blonde. Like Mariah Carey. And Jillian on channel 11 morning news, Good Day LA. Also Lisa on the same show/channel. Maybe it would be better described as `ash blonde`? Not sure. Even so, I think they are examples of natural brunettes gone blonde that might work for you too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic