Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Experiment (I guess)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiment (I guess)
    Posted: April 30 2003 at 7:15am
Ok, I think this may fall under bloopers (it's not too big of a blooper though). I had my bangs grown out to the bottom of my chin and decided to cut LONG side-swept bangs.

Well... since I did it myself instead of waiting to go to the salon (which happens to me quite often since I'm very impatient) I ended up cutting it a little uneaven. It still layed pretty well and you couldn't really tell, but I'm the type that something like that eats away at me. So... I kept trimming it up trying to get it even.

Good news.... it's now pretty much even. Bad news... it's much much shorter than I wanted. So, I'm going to make the best of this. Last night I measured my bangs (placed the end of the tape measure at my hairline and let my bangs fall down on top) and they measured 3". I'm going to track my growth. I want my bangs to be at least 4" (maybe longer) to achieve the look I'm going for. I thought now would be a good time to track my growth.

So, all in all, my post is about taking a bad situation and finding some good in it.

Thanks for listening!
Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 10:16am
Glad to hear you aren't losing much sleep over it Becky....after all it IS only hair and it grows back! I know the feeling...I cut my own hair as well and although I've got it down now I had a few slipups in the beginning. (I wouldn't have the guts to cut bangs though--I just have a boring one-length blunt cut!) Let us know how it turns out and have a lovely Wednesday :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 1:16pm
Three weeks ago I cut my own bangs (badly) and went to the salon to get them fixed. Long story short (literally), I ended up with uneven baby bangs which look ridiculous on a 46 year old woman. My kids and husband are still laughing and they are still way short. I probably have at least another two to three weeks before they are anywhere near a normal length. But as Lyris says, it is only hair afterall. I just hope no one has taken any pictures of me lately.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 3:53pm
Hey Lyris, thank for the reassurance that it IS only hair, and to Demdoll for sharing your story.

There is one thing I'd like to share with you ladies (because maybe one of you could straighten me out. ). When I was in high school (which is almost 10 yrs ago now - YIKES) I overheard someone say "She wouldn't be pretty if it wern't for her hair". Now, it wasn't said about me but the effect it had on me you would have thought they were talking about me. For some reason that has just stuck in my head from that moment. I think maybe that's where I get a lot of my hair obsession from. My bangs right now don't look horrible (actually a little better than I was expecting when I fixed my hair this morning), but they don't look great and no where near what I want them to look. Oh well, I've grown my bangs out more times than you can count on one hand, I guess I have pleanty experience in this department.

Thanks again for listening!
Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 4:33pm
Wow.....that is really awful! (Be glad it wasn't directed at you.) I would guess you'd hear the inverse of that statement more often: She WOULD be pretty if it weren't for her hair, which could imply that the subject was dealing with an unflattering cut/color/length/texture. I understand your insecurity: I love having long hair (although I would welcome the chance to try short hair if I had the guts) and I think that has something to do with my middle school years: I had short, frizzy bangs and always wore my hair pulled back. I was convinced I looked like a boy (or just a gawky preteen with big eyebrows and bad acne) and am now terrified of anything even remotely close to bangs. I think that's why I keep my hair long and all one length. Even though most people who knew me then literally do not recognize me now (I learned about eyebrow wax and makeup) I still have this anti-bangs hangup. Aren't we peculiar when it comes to hair? It's the only thing I can think of that is not readily changably on the human form once you've done something drastic to it (other than cutting off a limb, but you get the picture.) Psychologists would have a field day with us!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 2:04am
Hey, Lyris! I have the same fear of bangs. Like yourself, I had some unfortunate bangs-experiences when I was younger. I had bangs for years and hated them, they were always either too long or too short. They were the right length for about a day, and then they would look like crap again.

So now I've finally grown them out, I don't want them back, ever! Although they can look good on some people, I have this feeling they look terrible on me. Another factor for me: not having bangs seems like less work and I'm a bit lazy by nature.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 8:36pm
my stepdaughter tok a big chunck out of her bangs with scissors. which was even more madening is my husband just finish cutting them right. he turned around for a second and she did it. we had to redo them but they were still crooked because if we did them any shorter she wouldn't of had anymore bangs! finally after a month they are growing in. we have to even them out soon again.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 9:40pm
Ouch! How old is your stepdaughter?

But I find it very impressive that your husband can cut hair! What a catch he must be :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2003 at 11:31pm
my stepdaughter is 7. she has a thing about cutting hair. she had knots in her hair bad. instead of brushing or combing she cut them out! it's a good thing she has a lot of hair. you can see if you look real closely.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 12:14pm
umm...
i cut my bangs my self because they were the most damaged part of my hair
i deffinitely look dumb with very very short bangs with 4 inch hair parted in the middle.
ARGHH
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 12:23pm
Hi Monica---well at least she's not 22 and still hacking away at her own hair. Oh wait. That's me.

:-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 11:27pm
LOL give her time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic