Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun In Disaster!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Teensy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teensy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun In Disaster!!!
    Posted: May 04 2003 at 10:51am
My best friend who had much darker brown hair then me, recently showed up at high school with beautiful light blonde highlights. She told me that she had used Sun In to get the beautiful blonde shade. I decided to go and buy it and try it. My light brown hair turned bright orange. I mean neon orange. My mom took me to a stylist to repair the damage and the stylist told me there was no way that Sun In could have turned a dark brunette to a beautiful light blonde. Is this true? Do you think my friend lied to me about the Sun In? She swears she used Sun In.
Dyer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2003 at 12:21pm
yes i think your friend might be lying, that doesn't sound right.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2003 at 3:24pm
I seriously doubt your dark-haired friend was able to go blond with nothing more than Sun-In. That stuff is the devil for anyone with dark hair. The peroxide can only lift brown hair to red/orange, not all the way to blond as required for the look your friend had. So how did your hair turn out at the salon?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 11:17am
Hi Teensy, Dyer & Lyris,

Unfortunately I get lots of emails from people who get sold the same "story". I think that people sometimes don't want to admit that they went blonde via a bleach process and so they just say "I did Sun-In". Lyris is right, if your friend is dark brunette, there is no way she could get a light blonde from Sun In. She would be orange if anything. She would need a bleach step first and then probably a toner to add back color. She might even been to a colorist if her hair looks really great.

I hate that people say "Sun In" when they don't want to admit what they really did to their hair color because it prolongs the fallacy about what it takes to get really great blonde hair. Which is...if you are dark brunette...either a good two step process OR a trip to an expert stylist or colorist who can make all your blonding dreams come true.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 12:16pm
Amen Karen!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 5:00pm
Ditto....Well said guy's.

OMG, Karen I love your book worm guy!! He's so cute!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 5:09pm
Hi Sophie,

Thanks. I just love the Bookworm's glasses. :-). This is actually all the fault of Lyris. She helped LiliBeach find that cute sun w/ the ball icon and so I literally have gone through about 10 icons until I finally settled for the worm. :-) I wanted an animated one but nothing too bizarre.

If anyone is interested, I also have a cute Nerdy Girl and a little fashion model icon that sways her hair that I will be happy to email & gift to anyone looking for a new icon. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
flipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 8:53pm
I'm new to the message board thang...It's been awhile. I've posted a few over the years then forgot about them. Anyway, how do you get your own icons and put them up? I'm clueless!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 7:13am
Click on the User Options button at the top right corner of this screen, select Upload Custom Icon then follow the instructions--it's very easy (thanks Karen and Jeff!)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Rachael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2004 at 3:22pm
Hey i have nauturally blonde hair and recently my hair in the back was gettin a little darker and I saw sun in at the store and decided to give it a try well now my back of my head turned orange! lol i dont know what to do this was act. like a month or two ago and i dont know what to do i keep thinking its gonna fade and its not everyybody notices it and its a big disaster!! what should i do i will try anything is there anything that will get the orange out of my hair Thanx Rachael
Sakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2004 at 12:27am
omg that sun in stuff is evil! i used it a few yrs back and it killed my hair!
jenn-jenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenn-jenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2004 at 1:24am
Sun-In should definitly come with a warning label. I've seen a lot of people use it, but it never works on darker hair....

In Jr High I fell asleep at my friend's pool and her brother and his friend thought it would be funny to pour the entire bottle on my hair while I slept. Previously we had used it in my friends hair (it was blondish) and it worked ok. On my dark hair it was a disaster. Especially since they poured it on and it was sort of spotted. Needless to say I looked horrible, but thankfully her aunt was a hairdresser and came out and fixed it for me.....
Ultra Flaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultra Flaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2004 at 9:54pm
Kato Kaelin is the only 'warning label' that Sun In will ever need.
*sigh* I should be doing
homework...
Cheerleader View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheerleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2004 at 6:58am
I've heard so many bad things about sun-in. Although the bottle says it should not be used on very dark brown hair or coloured hair (Mine is both!) I still went ahead and tried it. I know it was a silly risk but I thought I could cover it up with brown dye if it went wrong.
However, my hair has turned a nice lighter brown shade (not orange) and it didn't dry my hair out either. It felt soft even though I didn't follow up with condidtioner! I've not heard anything nice about sun-in so I don't know why my hair came out fine...
LaCerca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaCerca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 5:18pm
My friends tried Got2B Blonde Highlighting spray, and their hair turned burgundy or bronzer right before my eyes.

This seems to be a better alternative to the taboo Sun-In. It claims to contain wheat protein to condition.
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 9:23pm
Wow, blast from the past. I can't believe Sun-In is still on the market! My sister turned her hair orange with it back in the early '80s. I think it might work on a natural blonde who wants to go a bit lighter, but it's disastrous on anyone else.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
LunarFlame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunarFlame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2004 at 9:39am
I can't believe that it's still around either. I used it in grade 6, and it made my hair a pretty golden colour.. but I have blonde hair.. so ya know, it worked.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2004 at 10:50am
No way will I ever touch it again. My hair is dark blonde, and it makes it yellower, but not a natural looking shade, and it fried it so bad I wound up having to cut it off. I've seen it turn my brunette friend's hair orange, then as she kept using it, yellow....but again, crayon yellow, nothing natural. I think these days they call it A Touch of Sun, but its the same stuff we remember as Sun In from the past.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic