Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frustrated With This Mess!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jen2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrated With This Mess!
    Posted: July 13 2003 at 9:59pm
I have been fighting my hair all of my life and trying to straighten it by blow drying. For the past two months, I have been wearing it curly. It never looks the same two days in a row. I don't know what I am going to do with this mess! I have long layers and my hair is a little longer than chin length. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips? The most difficult part is the bangs. They are cut to about lip level but curl up around my eyes, mostly waves. Also, I cannot let my hair air dry because of straight places here and there. I use a diffuser and then have to fight frizzies! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jennie
www.excelir.com/kjmartin
autumn0826 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autumn0826 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:14pm
I wish I had some real advice for you, but I do understand what you are going through, I have the same problem, I have just gotten tired of all the blow drying and am trying to come to terms with it, but when i do leave it curly, even with all this goop i put in it, it still looks like I electricuted myself and my hair fried.
frizz ease works good for me but I have to put the whole bottle on my hair to tame it...
to expensive after a while...
got to get this hair under control.
Product Junkie7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Product Junkie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 8:16pm
I thought I was the only one who used lots of Frizz Ease! It says use a few drops, but I swear, they must mean only on the ends. I need it all the way to the root. And "apply to soaking wet hair" it says. Yeah, sure, it's smoother that way, but it takes forever to dry! I have started towel-drying, then putting in a liquid leave-in conditioner with the serum ( I now use Shine brand which makes it cheaper to use a lot , $3.49-$5.00). The conditioner is good for your hair while making it wet enough to take out frizz. Also dries faster than plain water.

If you are using gel, you may get more frizz. I switched to setting lotion and mousse after I read that Mya uses it. I put the mousse on the roots for my straighter areas and then comb through. I spray on the setting lotion as I'm scrunching, which helps define my curls better. It's a light liquid, so it doesn't weigh it down or cake up like jell.
Knowledge is Power
ajcobbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajcobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 12:57pm
Ladies, I know your pain. I have naturally curly hair. I'm biracial, and have chemically relaxed my hair for about four years until my stylist told me my once thick hair was now thinning out. Well, she tried a new product on my hair that I absoutly love!! I wash my hair with pantene hydrating curls shampoo and conditioner ( i only wash it like every three days cause curly hair tends to be dry, try wraping your hair at night with a silk scarf). While in the shower, comb conditioner though your with your fingers. Let it stay in a few minutes, rinse and i like to leave it pretty damp, like twist it and put a clip on it. Then, I use a wide tooth comb and apply a thick mousse (believe it or not) Rave is good and I like Sauve too. I use about a hand full. Well, the product I told you about is called Making Waves, Curl Defining Texturizer and Graham Webb makes it. I LOVE IT! It's a bit expensive, that why I also use moussee in my hair, but the Texturizer is like a gel, so don't put too much in to begin with it will make your hair hard, try maybe a palm full. Once your hair dries ( I never, never use a blow dryer, makes me frizz bad) You can add more to the curls that try to frizz. This sounds like it takes forever, but actually, I can do my hair, which is long, in like 20 minutes total! It does take a while to dry, I just leave it wet and go on about my day. You don't know how many complaments I get a day about my hair. People always ask how do I get my hair to curl like it does, they don't believe that it's natural. I live in Florida, with very bad humidity, and everyone knows humidity and curly hair don't mix. Let me know how it goes, If you like I could send you pictures so you can see why I get the complaments!! Good Luck!!

------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
Wise men talk because they have
something to say; fools, because
they have to say something.

Plato
Ilovemyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilovemyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 8:46pm
I'm reading all of these replies and I relate to all of it. I used to get relaxers and then I decided to dye my hair light well the next thing I know my hair is coming out in clumps. I went to a salon called Ouidad ( they only handle curly hair) it was the most amazing thing in my life. They put me on a strict routine of washing once a week, you can wet it everyday, but use shampoo only once a week. Deep condition once a week and get a haircut every 3 months. They cut into your hair so it actually forms ringlets that your hair naturally falls into everytime you wash it. On the rare occasions that I do straighten it I get a simple $10 wash and set. When they take the rollers out I have them wrap it . I leave it wrapped for no more than 2 hours. If I leave it for more than that my hair will get the pin marks in it and that is not cute. I hope that this helped.
Dawn D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 8:24am
Hi Ilovemy hair.
Thanks for yr comments it makes me feel better knowing someone else has similar problems. Last week I went and had a set at a salon, my first time. I felt almost embarished asking but my stylist was great. The result was amazing, my hair looked managed and held a style for once in my life. Might go back this saturday morning and have another set as I have a nite out with friends and want to look good. Oh that reminds me, what do you mean, "after the rollers are taken out you have them wrap your hair for two hours" Sorry I am a bit simple when it comes to hair & stuff. LOL D.D.
Katie Scarlett View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Scarlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2003 at 3:54pm
ILoveMyHair--I am really surprised to hear about your experience at Ouidad--I love their hair products but I got a cut there last fall & I was very disappointed (especially considering the price). It was one of the worst cuts I ever had, it took them almost 2 hours to get my hair in those ringlets, & there is NO WAY I'm spending the time or putting all the gunk in my hair they did. Besides the fact that they left all my split ends & I was back at the stylist (a different one, needless to say) four weeks later.
Dawn D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2003 at 10:55pm
Hi Gals. Well I have been getting my hair set once a week for the last few weeks and now I'm hooked. My hair looks great afterwards and it saves me all the hassle at home. When I go to the salon I take what ever book I'm reading and enjoy the free time. The last time I went first thing in the morning and my hair was a real mess. I was late so I grabbed a scarf and tied around my hair. My hairdresser teased me when I walked in, saying there was no way she would let me walk out wearing a headscarf. Not after she had worked her skills. How are you girls getting on managing your hair these days. XXX DD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic