Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toga Party

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jen8541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jen8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toga Party
    Posted: January 18 2003 at 3:44pm
I`m getting my hair done for a dance and the theme is like a toga, greek, type thing and I was wondering what I should have done with my hair. Thanks!
Kristen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2003 at 10:57am
im sorry i have no hairstyle. Maybe a bun could be good.Try looking in history books an see how toga people wore their hair.
andi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2003 at 2:36am
Curls!
As far as we can tell from statues of the Roman and Greek period women wore their hair curled a lot. Either piled high or loose at the back. I personally suspect that these styles actually represent the way hair was worn for special occasions and not the way the average Roman or Greek woman actually wore it from day to day - even with a host of slaves to do it for her the time spent would have been astronomical :-) Mind you the top rank of society might well have had their hair done like this in order to make a statement about their rank and prestige!

Teh museum in York has some hair from a grave which was preserved due to fortunate soil conditions and which is just twisted up in a plain bun like you`d see on any street today! Something tells me that this is the `everyday` style.

There is little doubt that in many cases these elaborate styles were actually wigs (dark hair from India is listed on the `price edict` of the Emperor Diocletian in the 3rd century and blonde hair from the Rhine frontier was also traded).

Try a look which puts most of your hair up in a bun, with curls loose around it and at the back.

Oh, and Roman women didn`t wear togas btw, they wore a simple underdress with a cloak-like robe over the top.

''A single open mind
can open any door'
Sonia Rutstein
Gilmer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 2:16pm
Two loose french braids with ivy vines and/or leaves weaved into it. let the braids weave together in the back so that none is hanging down. you can pull out some wisps of hair and curl them if you'd like or add baby's breath instead of ivy. just an idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic