Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Adopted African American toddler and need help with her hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adopted African American toddler and need help with her hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blessed2adopt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessed2adopt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adopted African American toddler and need help with her hair
    Posted: July 28 2004 at 7:30pm
Hi,

We just adopted an african american toddler and I need help with her hair. She was abused by her parents, and then in foster care, so she was taken by the state. We prayed to God to give us a baby, and this was the baby He gave us.

When she came to us, her hair was all matted, her clothes were about 2 sizes too small, and she was just very unhappy. She's 18 months old.

In the last 2 months since we've had her, her smile has come back, she's talking up a storm, and laughing all the time.

But, I need help in what to do with her hair. I took her to a salon that helped me take out her braids. Her hair was a mess, so they cut it to about 2 inches long.

So far, I've been sectioning it on the top and puttingin clips, etc.

But, I need help with grease. I've read a lot on AA hair, and am told that I have to keep grease on her head...but what is grease? How often do I put it on?

I know to wash her hair every 2 weeks or so, and I'm learning about styling her hair, but the grease part has me stumped.

(If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm white). So, any help you can give me on taking care of this sweet little girl's hair is appreciated.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 8:15pm
here is a good site that will be helpful with taking care of her hair...its good she found a nice family that is concerned about her health and well being...

www.motowngirl.com there are also links that can help you find out more info.
miss_lady_cleopatra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss_lady_cleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2004 at 9:34pm
Hi,
I'm a little too young to have children. But, I have taken care of my little baby cousins. There is no need to grease the babies hair. Grease - is like oil except in a hardened form. It's just a big mess and if the baby plays in her hair it's even a bigger mess. Just use a spray moisterizer in the babies hair. You can find it even in wal-mart in a little bottle. It really helps with touch ups when your putting her hair in pony tails etc. Also, after you wash her hair, you can spray a little moisterizer, style..and she's ready to go. Believe me, when I was smaller my grandma used grease, I'd play in my hair and the grease would get in my eyes..(Not good) P.S. If you can find a spray moisterizer including detanger, you'll be in heaven. (This can also be found in Wal-Mart in the baby section.) God Bless
TLog77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 4:29pm
Hi,

Since there are so many different African American hair textures, it might be a good idea to find a professional stylist in your area who does African-American hair. He or she can help you with products that are appropriate for your daughter's hair texture and also help you with styling once she's old enough.

Also, go to Amazon.com and search "African American Children Hair" and read the reviews on the books in that catagory.

BTW, I have an 18 month old African American daughter too. I use Dudley's Curl Activator on her hair and my own and it works well for us. My son and husband use it too. We have at least 3 different hair textures among the 4 of us.

In general light oils or creams are better than heavy grease. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
partymom2mom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partymom2mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 5:57pm
You must also go to http://naturallycurly2.com/home/index.php

This is another site that may be very helpful to you with managing your daughter's hair. It's greatly helped me with mines. I am AA and my daughter is bi-racial with very beautiful but her curls are extremely tight corkscrew curls type curls...I'm not sure if yours have this problem with cursl..My suggestion to you is go to the above site and READ the different topics pertaining to your needs. The boards are VERY helpful. You can even make up your own topic with ALL your own questions you may have, then simply wait for replies. I am sure you'll get MANY. There are all types of nice people of all races on this wonderful site as well. Before any of this, I'd suggest 1) putting a pic of her hair ( you don't have to show her face if you don't want) 2) I would also suggest that you find your daughter's hair type on there (ex. my daughter has 3b/3c type curls). This way if you write your own topic looking for answers, most of the replies will be from people with similiar hair type as hers and can help you much better. I wish you much luck and altho you're blessed to have a precious lil one like your daughter, she is equally SO blessed to be loved by someone UNCONDITIONALLY such as yourself. Good luck and God bless.
Passin thru View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passin thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 4:06am
Go to Blackhairmedia.com They are very helpful at that site.
Helper View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 6:14am
Here are some websites that can help:

www.longhaircareforum.com (black women caring for their hair with or without chemicals)

www.nappturality.com (black women caring for their hair without chemicals)

www.blackhairmedia.com (black women discussing hair care in general)

www.motowngirl.com (informational site)

www.naturallycurly.com (women of all backgrounds caring for their curls, kinks, waves, naps, etc.)

I would suggest not using grease. It's too heavy and messy especially for a child. Use liquid oils such as olive, avocado, grapeseed, sweet almond, jojoba, and coconut and use them lightly. Conditioner washes are a great alternative to the harshness of shampoos. You can read about all of this and so much more on the previously mentioned sites.

God bless you and your family!
MissIbrahim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissIbrahim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 12:15pm
Congrats on your new baby. I love to hear new like that. Well i will say this grease is bad. I dont use it. It clogs the scalp and pores and stops the hair from growing. All the web sites that the ladies mention were good ones. I would of said the same thing. Shea Butter, Olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil are some good natural oils to use on hair and scalp. Those are what i use and they smell good too. www.carolsdaughter.com is a good web site to it has some natural hair products for kids. That good for the hair.
Hope that help some.
Try this site.
www.carolsdaughter.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic