Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Retin-A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retin-A
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:48am
Has anyone ever used this? I started noticing the tiniest lines on my face and in January began using it. It is......FANTASTIC! The lines have literally vanished. To my understanding, the Retin-A (prescription only; I use 1/2%) actually affects cellular production. It doesn't work on lines that are very deep at all, but for those beginning lines, it works like a charm! I alternate it with beta hydroxy acid, and my skin has simply never been smoother. Well, I'm sure it was as a child, but I don't exactly remember paying a lot of attention to my skin at that age.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 10:29am
Interesting .
I'm only 27, not many wrinkles yet but it is something to keep in mind.
Thanks for the info.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:01am
Tina, I'm about ten years older than you are, but I am still IDed for alcohol sometimes! Two things that help tremendously with wrinkles are:

1. NEVER smoke.

2. Use sunscreen as your religion.

Women my age who are smokers look drastically different than I do. It might not make a big difference in your twenties, but when you hit the 30s, it really is very noticeable.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 12:57pm
i've never used it because my skin is very sensitive. my dr. gave me some ten years ago because i was having trouble with breakouts for a year. i was 19 at the time i heard it could be to harsh for me. i gaved it to my aunt. she loved it.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 2:31pm
Monica, my skin is also very sensitive. At first, I was using too much, and it irritated my skin. Now, I only use it three times a week and at the weakest percentage that (I think) you can buy. I don't know if the 1/2% formula was available then or not.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 4:34pm
I have used it since 1978 and I consider it a miracle drug. I first used it for acne but stayed with it all these years at first to keep the acne at bay and now for wrinkle control. Although I am beginning to see some changes in my skin in general (gravity and all that) my face still is pretty much wrinkle free, much more so than my friends who are around my age. I am 47 and I am sure my face looks much younger. Without plastic surgery.

You can get Retin A on the internet without a prescription. Just do a google search to get the best price.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Curious Jessie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 5:21pm
Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but can someone explain what is the difference between Retin-A and BHA? I do also have some small wrinkle lines forming (I'm 30) and have been trying to figure out what to use before they deepen any more. Do I need t go to the dermatologist to get either one of them?
Thanks in advance guys!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 6:41pm
Hi Jessie,

BHA stands for beta hydroxy acid. It is an exfoliant, which means that it helps get rid of the top layer of dead skin cells. AHA is another exfoliant and the letters stand for alpha hydroxy acid.

The difference between the two is that AHAs are water-soluble, and BHA is oil-soluble. The advantage to using BHA is that it can get through the oil on your skin and exfoliate the skin cells inside the oil gland. So, for oily skin and skin prone to blemishes, BHA is probably the better choice. Personally, I've found that 1% BHA works best for me.

Both products are non-prescription.

Retin-A is a prescription drug. It works very generally like AHA and BHA except on a deeper level.

You might try using either AHA or BHA first. If that doesn't quite give you the results you seek, you could then consult a dermatologist for a prescription of Retin A.

I use a combination of both BHA and Retin A, and my skin is smoother now than 15 years ago!

If you do try Retin A, though, you kind of have to play with the application. If you put on too much or use it too often, you can have some peeling, so obviously you back off a bit. I currently use it twice a week, which is perfect for me.

However, it's very, very important to use a sunscreen, because your face becomes more suseptible to sunburn and damage since you've removed some of the outer layers of skin (it isn't as drastic as it sounds, but it's always a good idea to religiously use sunscreen anyway).
Curious Jessie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 9:50am
Thanks so much.I have one more question. You said that both AHA and BHA are non prescription. Is it like a cream you just put one? Where should I search and how? I've seen creams that say that they contain AHA, is that what you are referring to?

And both of them would be what to use for fine lines or is it the Retin-A for the fine lines? Fortunately I have normal skin and rarely get any pimples, so my concern is the fine lines.
Thanks.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 10:20am
Some hand creams do contain AHA, but how much makes all the difference as to whether or not they'll be effective for reducing lines on the face. I think that most creams that say they "contain" AHA is probably designed more for hands and body, than face. Since you don't have any problems with acne, I will guess that AHA would probably be fine for your face. 8% AHA is generally what is recommended. Although I use BHA instead of AHA, I would trust this company:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/category.asp?CAT=48&TYPE=2&PAGETYPE=S

The product will probably just look like a lotion. My BHA (from the same company) does. Also, what I like about this company is that if, for some reason, you decide the product just isn't working or you don't like it (I'd give it a chance beyond a few days, however), you can return it for a full refund. I like that policy.

The AHA will make your skin smoother and may reduce the tiny lines, but Retin-A would do a better job.

I use both the BHA (you'd use the AHA instead) and Retin-A. Even though the Retin-A affects cellular activity below the surface, the AHA would get rid of the skin cells on top of the surface.

One thing that I think you'll have to do is play around with the frequency used of either product. Too little, and you won't produce an effect, obviously, yet too much, and you may experience some irritation. Rather than thinking the irritation won't allow you to use the product(s) at all (though a severe reaction is different, of course), I'd simply reduce the frequency used and see what happens.

So much of this stuff is just experimenting until you find the perfect combination!
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 11:21am
I've discovered fantastic results with those vile first lines, wrinkles...specially round the mouth..those laugh lines? I've been using Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Cream...it's main ingredient Retinol..goes on smooth, doesn't take much...makes skin smooth, diminishes appearane of pores, etc. Also having good results with Olay Total Effects Intensive Restoration Treatment.
Mylissa
curious jessie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curious jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 7:14pm
Thanks. I will look into the AHA cream at that site. I might try th eones that Mylissa recommended before going to the dermatologist for Retin-A.

Is Retinol a form of Retin-A?
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 12:52pm
Retinol/Retin-A/Renova -- they sound so similar that it's very confusing!

As I understand it, Retin-A and Renova are the names of the prescription drugs. And in those two drugs are two ingredients that work together: the vitamin A (which is called Retinol) and an ingredient called tretinoin.

According to Paula Begoun,

"Tretinoin (or technically all-trans retinoic acid) is the acid form of vitamin A. Retinol is the technical name for (preformed) vitamin A (vitamin A is created in the body from beta-carotene)."

Hope this helps.
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 3:09pm
I'm only 25 but I've just started a regimen of an OTC Retinol cream in the morning and a Salicylic/Retinol cream at night. After a week and a half, it's made a huge improvement in how my skin looks; it looks much better than it has looked in years. I slather on the Clinique yellow moisturizer too, because my skin is sensitive and tends to dry out easily with skin creams.

I started using Retinol products figuring that since it's used in prescription form to fight acne, the OTC wrinkle form probably can be used to do the same.
jessicar View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 7:15pm
I;ve used it. It is a wonder for acne and wrinkles. Make sure not to get much sun exposure and don't use harsh cleansers. Also do not wax your face either at home or professionally even if you don;t apply it to the waxed parts. It will take off strips of skin.
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:03pm
I use Retin-A and benoxyl peroxide daily for my acne. It removes acne scars also b/c it causes them to light peel. I love it. To keep from getting wrinkles under your eyes, just don't pull down on your lower eye when you put on eyeliner.

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:04pm
The only drawback of Retin-A is if you get preganant while using it your child MAY have birth defects (at least that's what my doctor said).

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
modlgrl8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modlgrl8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 3:29am
I have used Retin -A in the past, but it is expensive!  Anyone order from th online pharmacies and have good luck w/ the product?  Where do you get your Retin-A from?
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 9:13pm
It is expensive.I paid (without insurance) 150 dollars last time I filled the prescription.However,it also lasts a long time because you only need a very small bit.I bought mine in September and now it's February and I still have half a tube left...so it's a good investment.
I just turned 31 and I use it for adult acne,but since I've been on retinoids for almost 3 years now,I still have NO wrinkles at all yet!

My dermatologist prescribed it to me,but many websites do sell it online.

Edited by julesyjul88 - February 05 2008 at 9:13pm
ShellyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 9:48pm
Hi,
 I use Micro-Retin A.  It keeps my skin smooth as a baby's bottom.  If I do get a breakout, it heals quickly without leaving much evidence.  I have been using it for years, along with another product prescribed by my dermatologist. 
  If you are out in the sun, it can really burn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic