Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Micro rings extensions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lorri_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorri_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro rings extensions!
    Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:26pm

Hi everyone.

I'm about to DIY my own hair extensions! I've been wearing the clip in ones for over 6 months, and now want something more permenant. I've decided on the micro ring type. I've been reading as much as I can, and have the hair I want (19 inches).

Now I'm going to tip the hair myself. Baring in mind I'm in the UK, what do you think would be best and cheapest thing to use? Also approximately how much hair per bond should I do, and how far apart would you suggest?

I'm going to order my microrings soon, and have the needle to use. I was going to use an ordinary clamp to clamp them- think this will be OK?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:39pm

Hi lorri and welcome to our new and improved board! It sounds like you have already done your homework and know what you want to achieve!

I think Ive heard that LG is hard to get in the uk (correct me if Im wrong) but I know Amanda for one uses regular latex, which should be pretty easy to get ahold of. I have pretipped with latex too, but if you are going to use your pretips with rings I would suggest that you definitely put a thin coat of nail glue over the top of the latex tips, it will help the tip from spreading apart under the pressure of clamping the ring shut and also will help the latex from sticking to your hair, and will help to prevent shedding.

I would also suggest using extendtubes from www.hairpiece.com rather than the microrings. Seems to be preferred by more people.

Your preglued tips should be about the size of a toothpick if using the regular size rings. I would definitely wait to pretip til you have your rings, so you can make sure they fit right!

Any ordinary pair of pliers with smooth jaws will work to install. Then you will want either a regular tool for the job called a tube opener or a pair of pliers with ridged jaws to open them back up.

lorri_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorri_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 11:07pm

Thanks for your quick reply!

I've not really read much about the extendtubes method- is it basically the same procedure as the micro rings?

Is LG Liquid Gold? If so I've found a UK website to purchase from. Then I just use nail glue as in the stuff you apply fake nails with on top of that?

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 11:16pm

lorrie, the extendtubes are basically the same thing as the microrings, but seem to hold up better to re-opening and the color chips off the microrings quicker than the extendtubes.

As far as glue I think its just a matter of preference. Liquid gold (LG) is a bit trickier to work with, but works well. Some people love it, some hate it! But the latex is cheap and seems to work fine too. And yeah the nail glue is just the little bottle of glue that you apply fake nails with. It only takes a tiny bit on the tip to reinforce!

If you look in (the sticky) the extension 101 thread at the beginning of the board under demos there is a link to the pretipping instructions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edited by sherrie215
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 5:53am
Hi there, its me Amanda8Beechwood but my name was too big to log into the new site so I've had to re-register so now I'm a newbie LOL.  I would definitely recommend tipping with latex it rocks.  I'm going to contribute a bit more to this board than in the past seeing as I had some time on my hands inbetween the mountain of tipping to do and I took some photographs of the full latex and nail glue tipping process so I'm going to post them shortly xx
lorri_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorri_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 11:28am
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:48pm
Hi there chick, I don't think that's what you're looking for.  You can get it from www.afrocare.co.uk xx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic