Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I lost so much hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Samantha~Jane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samantha~Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I lost so much hair!
    Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:04pm

Yesterday, I took out my shrinkies and thought it would be easy to comb out the residue it left.

How wrong was I! i like, ripped out half my hair just combing it out with a fine brush, acetone done nothing and ended up losing clumps of my hair from the roots it was so weak.

I have thick hair but at the moment its quite limp, has anyone else had this problem?

I cant imagine anything getting it out, not even vegetable oil although i've never tried it! im scared of using shrinkies again now

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:24pm
Nope. Never had that problem.

Shrinkie removal takes time and patience. Up to 3 hours for a full head.

If you decide to use shrinkies again, don't use acetone at all for removal. Personally, I hate the stuff. It absorbs directly into your hair and it completely dries it out.

Try the vegetable oil just as we've been advising and work it into the residue area with your thumb and forefinger. Gently separate the strand and rub between the thumb and forefinger again, gently separate, work in, gently separate, etc etc.

Shrinkie residue WILL come out. And never comb through your hair when there's a knot or a clump. I guarentee you will lose your hair.

Ever try extentubes? You might like the removal better with those.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:25pm

Your best bet was to let the veggy oil, or what ever oily substance you were using sit on your hair for a bit to loosen the residue bonds and then slowly work them out. 

How long did you have your shrinkies in? 

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:27pm
Yup, that was my experience as well. Shrinkies pulled my hair clean out. I removed them by reheating the shrinkie and sliding it out. This did work, but in many cases, a large piece of my own hair came out with the shrinkie. And this was not shed hair - it was the strand the shrinkie was attached to. Baby oil did remove the residue. Should I have soaked the shrinkie in oil and worked it out that way?

I'm off shrinkies, too, although I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll give them another try.
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:53pm
Oh my god I can't believe people are having these results with the shrinkies.  I don't know what to say.  The shrinkies I took out came out really easily and yes the residue was in a clump on the hair but I second what Amm said really, I put veggy oil on the clump and worked it in and then is gently pulled the hair apart.  If there was a stubborn bit I teased out every single hair if I had to.  There wasn't one bit of the client's hair that came out with the shrinkie.  If your hair came out with the shrinkie then maybe you didn't put enough of your own hair in to start with to take the weight, don't know what else to suggest x Just a thought but what did you tip the hair with, sounds like that could have something to do with it, seems funny that even acetone didn't want to budge the residue x
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:14pm
No, shrinkies do not pull your hair out. How you remove them, does.

Has anyone ever had gum stuck in their hair? Now, what pulls your hair out, the gum itself or the method you use to get the gum out?

Just something to think about.

re: soaking in oil. Veg oil sitting on the residue won't do a thing until you work it in and start separating the hair out. Once you apply the oil, it's time to get to work.

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:26pm
What about taking out the shrinkie itself? Of course you don't pull them out like a piece of gum, but heating them and sliding them down the hair still pulls hair out. I'm thinking it may be the LG...but I covered the tip in nail glue...or maybe it's the nail glue.

If that Mark Barrington wasn't such a tighta$$, I'd try those shrink links. Metalgirl is completely sold on them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:40pm
I don't know what me and Amm are doing differently but I've had no problems at all getting the shrinkie out either, I just heated it up and worked it half way down the hair strand and it rolled down the rest really easy with me just using my fingers when it had cooled down??? xx
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:33pm
Ive had alsolutely zero problems getting them out at all. My problem is getting them in right! LOL (which Im sure my inconsistancy is a result of not having the correct tool!)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:44pm

Just for curiosity, Samantha and Syren, do you have particularly porous hair? I do, which is a big reason why I try to avoid glue altogether. I feel like my hair soaks up everything, which can make removal more difficult. I'm actually surprised you've had such difficulty, Samantha, since your hair's thick, but it seems like there are a lot of factors at work here.

:)

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:20pm
I agree with everything Amm and Amanda said. You have to let the veggie oil or what ever oil you use soak and work it in with your fingers. And I separate and work the strands apart with my fingers. I dont use a comb at all until all the strands are loose and separated from each other. Also I did learn that when removing them, hold the heat wand on the shrinkie for awhile then gently but firmly slide it down the hair, dont pull the shrinkie out or you will take out hair. If you hold the heat wand on the shrinkie long enough it will completely warp out of shape (and if the wand is hot enough Ive had some of them snap and roll right off.) Dont start pulling down on the shrinkie until you have really heated it to distortion.
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:42pm
Thats the problem I had also, pulled my hair right out, but I know now that it was my installation. My flat iron didnt get hot enough and one side heated hotter than the other. The problem with that is when you go to reheat the shrinkie to remove it, the whole thing just melts right into your hair. I experimented on one of my wigs so I could see close up what was happening and the shrinkie itself just melted right into the hair on removal. And NOTHING gets melted plastic out of your hair. We worked for over 4 hours just getting the shrinkies out then another 3 hours getting the melted plastic out. I used everything I had in the house. Acetone, oil, LG remover and nothing would budge the residue until I finally realized it wasnt glue residue it was melted shrinkie!! Do yourself a favor, if your going to use shrinkies, get the right equipment.
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 8:17pm
Emma, that flat iron must have been extremely hot if it would actually melt the shrinkie....I think flat iron temperatures must really vary from iron to iron. I agree with you....do yourself a big favor and get the right equipment! I do use my flatiron for the 30 or so shrinkies I am testing, but before I will even attempt a full head I will purchase a dual sided wand with heat control!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:42pm
Hmm. Well, I do have the right heat wand - Doc's wand. But I have also had the same thing happened that Emma did where the shrinkie melted down completely. And I don't have particularly porous hair - my hair is pretty strong and thick; it's just baby fine. I think it must have something to do with the tips. Maybe it's the LG that's just too torque-y for me. I haven't had anywhere near the same hair pulling problems with the fusion sticks i've been using - quite the opposite, in fact. They come right out with hardly any acetone. I've been using the ones from Docs and I think they're a bit too waxy, in fact. I got the X10s from Kristin today so I'll try those.
But to get back to the shrinkie problem, it must be the LG and/or nail glue. What else could it be?! I should maybe give the latex a try and see how that flies.
I'm kinda afraid of Gorilla Glue cuz I've used it on wood and china and it's like epoxy.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 12:18am
I'll weigh in and say that once I figured out the proper shrinkie removal technique, I haven't had a problem.  Of course, I don't think I've had more than twenty on my head.  About half of mine came pretipped form Doc and Kristin (keratin, I think), and the other half were latex tips coated in nail glue. 

If you think the LG might have been problematic, try latex. It's really cheap and easy to work with.
Samantha~Jane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samantha~Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:58am

I had my shrinkies in for way over a month... i think i might look into them exentubes i always see people talk about them on here im just not quite sure what they are yet... thanks for all the tips though everyone.. if i do try shrinkies again i'll be alot more patient when it comes to removing them

michelitapolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelitapolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 9:42am
Hi, I've had my shrinkies in for about 8 weeks now (done by Amanda by the way) and in that time I've had a few sliders as you do and a fair bit of hair growth so I've been removing them with  normal flat irons as I'm waiting for dr locks stuff. I have to say I've had zero hair loss apart from natural shedding, and they were incredibly easy to remove. I had hardly any residue at all and this came off easily with a tiny bit of oil. I wonder if some people are using too high a heat for removal which maybe puts more adhesive onto the hair, I used my irons on a medium setting and applied very light downward pressure at the same time and as soon as I felt any movement I took the heat off and slid the extension out and rolled the shrinkie with my fingers and it came straight off leaving hardly anything behind, and for most of them I got the glue off by just playing with it. Just lucky?? Hi Amanda, you do great work chick--Michele from down south with the new boobies!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:33am
Hi there Michelle, how you doing, how's the face, are you a beauty now the bruises have gonenot that you weren't before.  I'm so glad you're happy with the shrinkies and hair that I installed.  I've just got mine for my wedding so I will be posting pictures of my own install soon so keep checking chick xxx Let me know if you want me to send you anything for your own install xxx
michelitapolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelitapolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 6:32pm
Hi Amanda, yeah I look more human now.... can't wait to see your result, you're gonna look so gorge for your wedding!! I think I'm cool for stuff, but I'll keep you posted xxx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 2:49pm
Well I've started tipping my hair but had a client today and I've just finished so that's gone out the window now.  I'll have to do a bit more tipping tomorrow, I'm dying to get it in xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic