Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick-n-Dirty Bulk Pretipping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick-n-Dirty Bulk Pretipping
    Posted: March 19 2005 at 5:33pm

Like everyone else, I dread pretipping. But today, I went about it a bit differently and saved a lot of time in the process.

Drawing on Bridget and Gina's weft pretipping techniques, I took a bunch of bulk hair (this is one bag of Dome Prolin, which is approximately a quarter-bag of Dome monofiber), removed the rubber-band thingy, and coated the entire end with Liquid Gold. I worked the LG in with my fingers, held it in place for a minute or so, then applied another coat, worked it in, and left it to sit for about 20 minutes:

At that point, the LG was pretty tacky, so I divided it into 10 sections:

I wanted really small tips, though, since I'll be using the small extendtubes, so I just separated the sections into about 6 tiny strands each, gently rolled the tips, and voila--60 small tips in just over an hour:

They're not the best-looking tips I've ever seen, and maybe I'll go over them with some nail glue tomorrow or something, but the process went a lot quicker this way: applying all the glue first, then just separating the strands. I also wasted less hair and glue in the process. It took me a lot longer to individually apply glue to each strand and roll it, that's for sure.

:)

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:00pm
I may be trying that with the PH when I get it. I've yet to decide how I want it installed. I'd love to do pinchbraids but I don't know if I can handle the bulk. I'll be on my motorcycle a lot this summer and I'll have helmet issues.

So, how's that bulk tipping do in the center of the stand? That's where the majority of shedding issues come from. Amanda and I fan the tips out and press in the glue. Does this bulk method coat everything?
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:00pm

Very nice Jenny!

Do U have Doc's wand? Try reforming the tips individually, when your ready for install...and when you've got time.

That's how I got uniform/shaply tips. Globed it on...perfected the tips later!

Now I'll definately be going for bulk...thanks for sharin!

Gna

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:14pm

AMM: The glue penetrates pretty well if you work it in fairly well in the beginning (when the hair is still in that big chunk) and press it in further when you separate the pieces. That said, I haven't worn it yet, so it could shed; I don't know. I do think it would be a good idea, as Gina suggested, to roll them further using the wand. Perhaps nail glue would provide a little added reinforcement. Either way, it's kind of nice to have all of them separated at the onset, then worry about the rest later on. If you do pinchbraids, of course, you'll avoid this whole issue completely since you won't have to pretip at all (which is nice).

Gina: I definitely have Doc's wand, and that's a great idea--onto Step 2.

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 8:42pm
(cue Twilight Zone music)...Jenny, I was doing errands today pondering how to mass-tip bulk hair! Low and behold...you've come up with the solution! I'm wondering how to tweak your method somewhat to use keratin glue...maybe lay it out flat, smear glue with a wooden stick, when it dries (very quickly), maybe cut the whole thing into smaller strand pieces...

Great idea! Thanks for reading my mind.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:08pm

Yeah, I was thinking a razor blade might work well, just to cut them into tiny pieces.

After the top process, I heated 'em with the wand and rolled 'em a bit, then applied a dab of nail glue to each, and they look very secure. I'm not worried about them shedding; my application is a whole 'nother issue....

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:51pm
Great idea Jenn....thanks for posting it! Im gonna have to give that a try!
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 9:01am

Syren...

Yup, That's what I did with keratin. I used those large wooden waxing sticks, you can get them at Sallys. Then pressed it into the hair with the back of my comb or uused my hands. If any tips were too big...I spliced them with a razor blade.

I'm thinking you'd have to work in smaller bundles with keratin. The x10 cools pretty quickly.

Keepin my fingers crossed it works!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic