Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Board Malfunctioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Board Malfunctioning
    Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:49am
The board is messed up. I mean that in the cyber-sense. This afternoon I tried to get on and was told there was an error due to cookies...fixed cookies, still couldn't log on, opened new account which also had a cookie problem, now can log on but can't post replies, then I CAN post replies but only to some threads...

Take 2 aspirin and try again in the morning.
Jenn_Again View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenn_Again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:44am
Yup--I've got the same thing going here. Hence the new name. Grrr.....
:)
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 8:39am

Yup!

It wouldn't recognize my password. So, made a new one...alls better now. Hopefully all the glitches will get worked out soon!

Jenn...You are one Knowledgeable "Newbie"     

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:37pm

It would help tremendously if when any of you had problems you either emailed Webmaster@hairboutique.com or emailed me shelton@hairboutique.com so we can try and figure out the problems as quickly as possible.

Thank you Jenny very much for letting me know privately that you were having trouble.  

Jeff and I were looking into the cookie thing for several hours yesterday to try and figure out what the problem could be.  With software sometimes things just don't work the way they are designed and it takes a little time to try and fix them.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:44pm

I just forwarded this entire thread to Jeff and this was his email reply:

Karen,

I haven't been able to confirm this problem with cookies and unfortunately no one has given me any detailed data on what happened. 

I have been working on it nonstop to see if I can duplicate it and thus report it to the WebWiz Forum Support. 

If anyone could email me details on the cookie problem it would help a lot try to figure out why it is happening.

or BMail at:

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:44pm
Thanks, Karen. Actually, the board was behaving so erratically that I figured it was a possessed software problem that would magically sort itself out which it seems to have done. Thanks for the email addresses. Hopefully we won't need them, but good to have.

Edited to say that i can't read the reply you just posted. Print is in yellow.

Edited by Syren123
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:52pm

Hi Syren123,

If you have the time, it would really help if you could send a description of what occurred.  Any details at all would help. 

Also, Jenny and anyone else, if you have any details that you could email or bmail to administrator. 

Unfortunately with software when it acts up, if you ignore it, it may seem to go away, but then comes back with a vengence and the next time it could be worse.  So I really want to get it fixed if we can figure out why it is acting up.

Jenny, I really want to get your situation cleared up so you can go back to posting as your original User ID because that is how people here know you.

Jeff explained that there are so many subtle things that could be happening and there are so many variables to consider.  UGH.

I have to tell you all that I get sooooooo frustrated with computers and software that I could scream.  There are days that people will email me at HairBoutique.com and for some unexplained reason all their emails bounce.  I call our email administrator and he makes me send him a blow by blow of what happened, what the bounced message said in the headers, what time it was sent, when it bounced. UGH.  Then they will fix the email and everything will be fine for awhile and then, it happens again for no explainable reason. 

Either it is Mercury Retrograde, bad email karma or goats hidden somewhere chewing on DSL equipment.

Anyway, I am very sorry and I can tell you that I am probably 10x as frustrated as all of you because I want to fix it but can't seem to.  But trust me, we will keep working on this until we find some answers.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Karen

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:55pm
Sure. I'll send you a description if you promise not to stress and get more frustrated!
administrater View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:00pm

One possible source of login problems.

1. If you use the forums on more than one computer

2. You respond to the confirmation e-mail and login on the first computer

4. You respond to the confirmation e-mail on a different computer

5. You will have problems posting on the first computer.

When you respond to the confirmation e-mail a special user_code is created, your profile is updated in the database and the user_code is stored on the first computer in a cookie. When you respond to the e-mail confirmation on the second computer the special user_code is created (different code than the first time), your profile is updated in the database and the user_code is stored on the second computer in a cookie. When you go back to the first computer and try to post the cookie with the user_code (which is now incorrect) is read and looked up in the database. Since it was regenerated by the response to the e-mail confirmation on the second computer, the code on the first computer is not found and it's assumed that you don't exist and therefore don't have privileges to post.

The only option at this point is to delete the cookies on the first computer and logout and log back in.

This should fix the problem.

I will be testing this shortly and looking for a better fix.

Jeffrey Hines

HairBoutique.com

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:02pm
I already emailed Jeff about this, but the good news is, I'm back in my account--yippie! But now I'm thinking it's something on my end, because I got into the account with Mozilla Firefox, but not with IE, which is what I always use on this board. It's all good now though--I just will proceed on Mozilla from here on out.

Thanks for prompt response and all your hard work in fixing the problem.

:)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:39pm

Hi Syren,

Thank you sooooooo much for your details.  I will try not to stress more but I may get stressed out about trying not to stress.  :-)  Only kidding.  But I will admit I am a Type A++++

I have forwarded them to Jeff and he is working on them.

Thank you Jenny for your feedback. 

And thank you all.

mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:09pm
just to throw oil on this...and cuz i test software for a living (woohoo job security!!!)

i can log in on both my home and my work account...i can login on both IE and Mozilla...although Mozilla rocks much better.

i haven't noticed any errors logging in, but then i login after i see a post i want to respond to, not immediately - Jenny_RR...when do you login?
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 3:24pm
I've actually always been logged in on IE--for months and months. It never logged me out, which was cool, and I've never tried to log in from any other computer. The only time I had to log back in was during the replatforming last week. IE worked for me then, though, but now it's all about Mozilla. With Mozilla, though, I do have to log back in. No biggie though. I'll adjust. :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 3:26pm
Oh, and I didn't answer your question, did I? I tried to log in both ways--in responding to a thread, but also from the main menu, and neither worked on IE, both were fine on Mozilla. That's cyberspace for ya! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic