Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

weaving hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weaving hair
    Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:26am

how easy is it to do weaving or is that only for african type hair? you braid a bit of your own hair then sew the weft on right!?

ive never heard any of you guys talk about doing this so im guessing it deosnt work too well?

i just been invstigating alternatives to nasty glues.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:37am
I haven't done it myself.  But you seem to have the basic premise correct.  cornrow tracks and then sew the weft on.  The other thing you can try is Docs method of sewing a coulpe of microrings to the weft and then attaching the weft with the rings.  then there is no need for the track.  She has demo of it on her site.  Well there was before the site overhaila nd I assume its still there.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:40am

Weaving can work very well on Caucasian hair if the person applying the weave is skilled in dealing with fine, straight hair.

My hair is as baby fine and straight as they come, and I successfully wore a weave for 5 years.

My stylist was very skilled working with this hair type.  She would braid some synthetic hair into the cornrow to help prevent slipping.

Overall, weaves are not too comfortable, because the braiding needs to be done fairly tight.

I think the microring weave that Doc has on her website is probably a better method for fine, straight hair.

Edited by metalgirl
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:40am
Causcasian and Asian women seem to have mixed results with weaves. Generally smooth, silky hair doesn't cornrow as well and, as such, the wefts have more of a tendency to slip; also, a lot of white women (at least in the U.S.) wash their hair very frequently, which can also affect the hold.

Nevetheless, I've heard it works wonderfully if some synthetic hair is incorporated into the cornrows. Metalgirl has had a lot of success with that method, and I'm sure she can provide more details. :)

Edited: Hehe...I knew she'd chime in.

Edited by Jenny_RR
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 2:27pm
I have silky fine hair and wore a weave for 15 yrs. The only problems I ever had were finding someone to do the tracks (had to find a new person every couple of years or so), getting it to blend cuz it looked kinda strange when my hair was short, and getting consistently good human hair. Otherwise, it was great. No damage whatsoever and grew my hair down to my butt while wearing tracks.
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 2:46pm

I do weave's Kirsty and i agree with Jenny, some hairs it can slip etc and also it is more for Afro hair types as there hair generally hides it better.   With silky straight euro hair when the wind blows it can look like your wearing a wig and for some you need tons of hair spray to stop your own hair from showing the weave in the wind (lots of wind in Scotland)  It also has to be tightened every month or so.  Some of my clients prefer weaves over fusion and i do them tiny and only a few rows with some bonding on the top (so the leaves dont go up to high.

The pain about a weave is when its growing out as its quite lumpy in your hair.

Edited by shel221
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:16am

thanks for that guys, i have never tried fusion shell but i dont think id like it , seems a bit scary. i quite like the idea of weaving. i dont really mind it showing or being a bit bulky.

but having to get tightened every month that cud cost a lot!...

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 5:43pm

Not really as its pretty quick to do and most of the stylists just re-use the same hair again unless you specifically want new hair added and it only takes 5 minutes to remove 1 weave row.  You should get some quotes from people nearest you and make a list of the difference ie. initial application, maintenence / touch up's and removal and work out from that what would be better from you. Alot of salons offer a free consultation where you can discuss all your needs and have no obligation to go ahead.

x

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:25pm
see pictures of a weave in someones hair at the thread "Kirsty - this is what a weave looks like"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic