Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New brush reccomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New brush reccomendations
    Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:28pm
Okay as I sit here and continue to work on my install (crosses fingers that she will finish tonight)  I realise that since I haven't had loose extensions in for a while that brushing is more complicated than it was a couple months ago.  I think I'd like a new boar bristle brush.  Or something to serve the same purpose.  I think I want longer bristles on it.

I'm using plastikhaar.  What do y'all think?  Any that you really like?  Any that you've bought and aren't worth it? 

BAck to pretipping even more hair.

:)al
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:47pm
Well, it's gotten to the point where I use a thousand different brushes; each is helpful for it's own thing. But here's what I use:

1. Looper brush: Strictly for brushing the roots, not the length.

2. Boar's hair brush: For brushing my own loose hair on top, as well as final smoothing/fluffing. (This is not the best for detangling PH, imo.)

3. Dome brush: Strong, dense nylon bristles--great for pulling the hair straight (even the ends) while blow-drying or steaming.

4. Big, strong plastic paddle brush & wide-tooth comb: For basic all-purpose brushing and detangling.

5. Round plastic brush: For trying to add curl/bend to the ends (doesn't work great, but it's better than nothing.)

My bathroom is overflowing with all this crap....

:)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:52pm
I use a wide tooth for basic detangling and I like that. And I have a looper for the roots.  But how long are the bristles on your boars hair?

I want something for smoothing/breaking up the ends so they lookm ore natural.

7 tips to prelayer and then hubby gets to turn on the heat wand again!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 7:28pm
Um, I'd say the bristles on my boar's hair brush are about 3/4 inch long. I do think the boar's is good for "smoothing," but not for breaking up the ends. I'd recommend something stronger for that, actually.

Good luck tonight--I can't wait to see your pics! :)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 8:21pm

That's a lot of brushes Jenny!  Thanks for the tips on the tools!

Can't wait to see your pics Mocha!

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 9:47pm
I am like Jenny....I have about 4/5 different brushes I use. I also use anywhere from 2 to 4 different sizes of curling irons to curl my hair! My bathroom counter can get cluttered up in a hurry LOL
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:11pm
This is my first PH loose install and the one thing I'm really noticing that I need to figure out a way to break up the ends after they are washed.  Though I think I may have forgotten to use fabric softener this morning (when about 2/3 done and needing to redishsoap again before continuing)

So maybe a paddle brush for the ends?  I have a few of those somewhere.  And I'll keep using the baor bristle for smoothing.  Though it feels like if it were slightly less dense and maybe slightly longer bristles it might work better.

I don't want to brush very much cause I like  actually having life in my hair for a change.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 11:06pm
Yeah, a paddle brush or a wide-tooth comb would be better for the ends, imo. Just be gentle when you're separating them though--the ends can get funky pretty quick. You won't break the hair by being too rough, but you'll damage the fiber, which will lead to frizziness. Of course, then you can blow-dry them smooth, but you probably want to put that off for a little while, if you can. :)
imzadi92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imzadi92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:12am
Ive noticed that the not brushing too much is key for avoiding frizziness/funkiness... as is dipping into water/fabric softener mix and then towel blotting. just dont use too much or it will end up sticky. the  dome care spray is great too, better than the serum i was using-i think it was too thick and causing buildup. I wonder if I could find a generic equivalent that works as well and is cheaper? i think the overbrushing was part of what i did wrong the first few days. i think the ends get stretched and then they snap back all kinked and weird. then you have to blowdry smooth every day, and that sucks!!! so i do just enough to get snarls out, and then twist/wrap any chunks that either got too piecy or straight during brushing around my fingers.

Ive had really good luck with jumbo (1 3/4") flocked hot rollers, they give me a real nice curl that closely mimics the 50mm PH. And braiding in a huge fat plait at night not only keeps it from tangling, but keeps the wave intact. Overall Im pretty pleased!

~Jenn~

Edited by imzadi92
imzadi92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imzadi92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:14am
and sorry to thread hijack mocha... just wanted to say, LOVE the hair!!!!

~Jenn~
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:39am
Originally posted by imzadi92 imzadi92 wrote:

Ive noticed that the not brushing too much is key
for avoiding frizziness/funkiness... as is dipping into water/fabric
softener mix and then towel blotting. just dont use too much or it will
end up sticky.

I totally agree, Jenn. Overbrushing will frizz it out, and using too many products is bad news, too. I rinse the fabric softener out in the shower, but I sometimes spay the hair when it's wet with a diluted mix--I think the spray bottle makes it easier for me to avoid using too much.

the  dome care spray is great too, better than the
serum i was using-i think it was too thick and causing buildup. I wonder if I could find a generic equivalent that works as well and is
cheaper?

I like the Dome Care too, and have also been wondering about generic alternatives. Haven't found anything yet, though.

Ive had really good luck with jumbo (1 3/4") flocked hot rollers, they give me a real nice curl that closely mimics the 55mm PH.

I love the hot rollers, too! The wave really lasts well.

:)

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:39am
I have a set of five flocked hot rollers that I got at Big Lots for like 8 bucks.  I used them with really crappy hair that I had in the fall and they worked like a dream so hopefully when I get to that point They will work on this as well.

With my PH clip in s that I made I can brush them very care fully when they aren't on my head which helps avoid brushing to frizzyness.  And with the open ended PH braids I only washed twice in 9 weeks so I didn't have to worry too much about pulling out the curl so I just sprayed diluted fabric softener and/or braid spray and combed gently.  But those were goning to be piecey by their very nature.  I did notice that towards the end as my patience waned and I wanted to put new hair in but had to wait for my shipment that my quick brishing made the hair spring up weird and friszzy like different than just the age frizzyness.

I like the hair being piecey, I just don't want it to be clumpy if that makes sense.
I just used my widetooth and it seems to have broken up some of the clumps.  But everyinstall since I never do the same thing twice I have to relearn all the rules...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:46am
Mason Pearson brushes and combs. Mmmmm.

I have one of the wide-toothed combs (C7 Rake Comb) and it goes
through hair like butter.

The secret? It's handmade from one mold. It's not pieced together so
there's no snags or seams.

They last a lifetime.

Edited by amm
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:51am
Hey amm is there anywhere online that you know of where I can get those?  I just pulled my comb out of my pocket.  And while I don't see any seams that doesn't mean they aren't there and snagging my hair...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:53am
Yep. Go with seller crigifts on ebay. I'd link to her but I'm on my Mac
and it won't do links. She's got 100% feedback, a wide assortment of
combs and brushes and reasonable shipping.

PS: Or you can just put in a search for Mason Pearson and
comparison shop. They can be kinda spendy. :)

Edited by amm
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:13am
wud u reccomend buying an extension bursh even if the hair is jsut for clip ins? is it better for the hair..?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic