Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OT: Bleaching (moreso TONING!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT: Bleaching (moreso TONING!)
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:18pm

I tried so hard to post in the HAIR COLOR section but I coulnd't. I am sorry. If I was on Quinn's I would get roasted. LOL

Anyhoo... Everytime I get my hair bleached it looks great and matched my extensions the first month but then the toner washes out... and I do not color my own hair for fear of bleach breakage. Toner doesn't scare, but I don't know what it is. My gf ( a dread wearer) tells me I will be fine with toner as long as I don't leave it on too long.

I was looking at this from www.sallybeauty.com

But I do not know what Color to get... Silent Snow, Blissfully Blonde, Innocent Ivory, Beautiful Beige, Winsom Wheat, Happy Honey, Fresh Frost. I am thinking Silent Snow....

here is what my hair SHOULD look like:
from feb 18thish

but the next picture is what it really does look like
from mar30 after growing a bit with me not dying at all

MY HAIR LOOKS GREASY BC I DUMPED OODLES OF CONDITIONER IN IT hahahha and washed out the conditioner but my hair needed a good wash at that minute but i was trying to let it 'rest' before washing it again... so sorry my hair is soooooo stringy yukky looking, but... i like wasoozing conditioner things on it, just look at the color please, and laugh at the pretend sexy look as my friends and i have started going back and forth with funny pics for ea other (proof if you PM i will give you a full web page full) anyway here's the photo showing EMBARRESSING BRASSY... should i get that product? PLEASE BE HOME EVEN THOUGH IT IS 11:23 on fri night hahahahaha

edit to say, i just want to get through until my next roots job.

Edited by MERGUTHRIE
i love plastikhaar
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:34pm

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if you did not lighten your hair enough, a toner won't help you.  Toners, as the name implies, add tones to your hair, usually to neutralize unwanted warmth or to add a touch of color to blond.

From the second picture, it appears as if the extensions  are pale blone, while your hair is golden blond, and a toner won't lift the gold blond to a pale blond. 

However, if you want to neutralize yellow, then you would choose a toner with a purple base, and I'm not sure that those born blond toners tell you their base, you just kind of have to guess from their name.

Sorry! I wish I could be more helpful to you, but it's so hard to see from the picture exactly what's going on in the hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:36pm

Well, thats the thing. the first pic is like Feb 15th or so, and thats just my roots grown in... i haven't touched a thing dying wise!

I have not ever dyed my hair! (err.. recently.. by myself i mean)

(ps. metalgirl: which product would you suggest?)

after a month or so it's like the toner just washes out and i get brassy again... so i just want to run a toner over it until i go for my next roots job.

jenny and i discussed manicpanic or sfx white at one point... should i look to those?

Edited by MERGUTHRIE
i love plastikhaar
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:40pm
Hmm...as I understand it, Born Blonde's a really good toner, and the product is harmless; anything with a violet or even blue base works to counteract brasiness. You can just mix it with a protein spray (I believe), and you can find the swatches for the BB toner colors here: http://www.thecreativestudio.com/dispensary/swatches/ bb_swatches.html
It's not meant to be mixed with developer or anything harmful; it's not that kind of product.

The thing is, I think Metalgirl's theory is correct: I don't think your hair is light enough that these toners are going to do much. You really need to be lightened to yellow--and preferably pale yellow (like the inside of a banana peel)--for them to work in the way they're designed to. 

Frankly, I think you just need to get your roots done. Do you know whether the colorist used bleach or a high-lift tint the last time? I do think that light blondes not only tend to go brassy after awhile; they can also fade, becoming darker and duller. It's been 1 1/2 months since you had your roots done, and I don't really know if it's possible to maintain a light blonde color without doing your roots at least that often.

If you got your roots done and treated the length with some Shimmer Lights or comprable product, I think the hair would be pretty even again. I think it's a better plan than using the Born Blonde, to tell you the truth.

This said, I'm not a colorist and would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. The best place to get free color advice of this kind is the Going Blonde Message Board: http://www.network54.com/Forum/127834

I would try posting there and see what they say.

Good luck! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 1:05pm

yea... i kind of agree on the roots, i just want to wait a week or two more...

i am just sick of having to get my roots done bc of the orangy color, not bc of the roots themselves... so i want to start toning on  my onw when it starts to dull so i don't get to where i am now again.

i always THOUGHT they were bleaching me.

i love plastikhaar
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:02pm

The advice I give to clients is to be proactive if they tend to have this problem. I have them use white violet Artech shampoo once a week if they tend to yellow or brass. if they fade then they use one of the darker blonds Artech has a lot of pigment in its products much more than shimer lights or others I tone at the bowl with this on my lighter blonds with out useing toner. I am 4 brown and I find that my natural uncolored hair after a while is darker than my bohyme because the extension hair fades so I take the pro active root and use a brown artech once or twice a week on the length. Leaving this on longer will do nothing but puting it on more than once in a row will. So if you need to do it twice. I will see if they have a salon locater for this it is well worth the money you dont need to use alot!

Ok I did a search and found a sight that sells it and the cost is less than I sell it for at the salon!!! www.namebrandbeauty.com under product you will find artech. If you need help with any other colors that they have just let me know. at work we custom mix them too.

Edited by marie87
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:09pm
Yeah I use a color moose on my lengths if my when my natural hair gets brassy or dulled out between coloring. My extensions always end up lighter than my real hair just like Mer's a few weeks before redo....but this wont work for synthetic extensions. I wish I could have given you something useful Mer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 12:14am

i used clairol shimmer lighrts and left it on for like 10 minutes and it actually worked today. i feel kinda dumb now. (i used the shampoo)

camera is downstairs but i will take a pic later, change is DRAMATIC

i love plastikhaar
X-tend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-tend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 1:42am

Hi Merguthrie,

I have used most of the born blonde toners that you listed. (my hair was prelightened to pale yellow first)

Silent snow was my fav. the lightest while winsom wheat made my hair drab and the ends looked dirty and dull, it's pretty (but my ends were so dried out and thats where it absorbed too much)it seemed to be fairly darker than the others. I would stray away from the happy honey if you are trying to dilute brassyness. Like some of the other girls mentioned, Blue and violet bases are your best choice. Good luck!

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 6:08am
Mer,

I'm glad to hear that the Shimmer Lights worked out, and I can't wait to see your pics.

I know you're a little hesitant to do this, but you may want to think about learning to do your own roots. The most important things, as I said in another thread, are to avoid overlap and not leave it on too long, but it's really not hard and will save you a lot of money in the long run. When you have extensions, of course, you need to "work around" them a bit, so it's helpful if someone (DIY-fiance perhaps) can help with the back.

I seriously don't think I'd be able to maintain this color if I had to go to a salon every time I needed a touch-up.

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic