Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4a relaxed--how long before you relax?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4a relaxed--how long before you relax?
    Posted: April 17 2005 at 4:55pm
I can usually hold off for about 10 weeks. Anything after that and my hair starts breaking off. It's hard to style than too. Also, do you relax yourself or go to the salon?
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 4:59pm
When I relaxed, I did my own and waited did it every 4 to 6 months. I made sure it was moisturized...didn't use heat (well once in a while  i did) and kept it in a bun or flat twists.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 5:38pm
so, you kept it in a bun or flat twists throughout or when your new growth came? I only seem to get good results with heat. I've cut back to about twice a month now though.  What did you do when you had alot of new growth??
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 6:04pm
I usually relax every 10 weeks. Today I'm at 11 weeks. I was supposed to get my hair relaxed today but my mom came home late. So, I'll probably get it done next week at 12 weeks. Usually at like 9 weeks my hair is really hard to comb and all that stuff but this time I have a lot of new growth like usual but it's really soft and easy enough to comb. My mom relaxes my hair at home.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 10:27am
When I had alot of new growth, I just washed it and then put like hair lotion and brushed it back and put it in a bun...usually when I had a bun I would do a pony tail ( have wrafts of hair and then pin it around the bun or sew in. I had the weaves so when I wanted to use heat, I wouldnt be using it on my own hair.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 11:29am

I'm not big on weave. I think I'm going to try to stretch until the first week of May, but I don't think I can go longer than that. It is softer, but It isn't soft enough in comparison the relaxed portion. My sister whose hair is alittle past bra strap can go for 4 months without a relaxer but she has as much new growth as I have in about 2 months so I have to relax more than her. I'll try the bun thing one more time.

Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 4:06pm

I'm at about 16 weeks.  My flatiron is my friend.

On Friday, I got a bottle of Phytorhum and a sample of Phytosesame from Hairboutique.  Even though Phytosesame is a rinse out conditioner, I applied it in very sparing amounts throughout sections of my hair, let it air dry, wrapped it in a satin scarf and went to bed.  The next morning my roots were completely flat.  i couldn't believe it.

Of course, they popped up again later, but you catch my drift.  My hair is in remarkably good condition considering how long it's been.  My biggest concern now is finding and snipping split ends, some of which are horrifyingly ragged.  But that's the price of using heat.  So be it.

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
niki27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 7:39pm
Im 4a/b I waited three months between my perm i just permed it yesterday. I had alot of new growth and to my surprise it was pretty easy to manage. I kept it moisturized with carrot oil, kemi oyl and razac perfect for perms, and flatironed those roots. I didnt have much breakage.  TCB has a pretty good conditioner called R&R (revive & restore) deep conditioner.  I put on a plastic cap for 30 minutes and my hair always comes out really nice. Im happy with the way it came out . ( i do my own perms, i stopped going to the salon years ago and my hair is longer, stronger and healthier than ever)
niki
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:45am
Niki, I'm with you on the salons. I use to go every 2 weeks with my mom, but I didn't have healthy hair. I was under the hood dryer, blow-dried to a crisp and then hot curled in on visit. Heat overload. My last visit was a good on two years ago, but I think after learning so much about my hair I would rather take care of it.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 9:56am
Yeah, I wasn't big on weave until I relaxed that the style i want would be damaging to my hair cause of the heat. Other than that, I have never really like to wear my hair down. But those were the steps I took and i'm not a big product user (just a few, shampoo, conditioner, hair lotion/gel)...but I'm sure you will find a routine that works for you.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 9:07pm
The longest i've gone without a touch up was 16 weeks and my hair began to break. Now i retouch about 10 weeks. I manage the new growth with a product called just like a perm by liz and daughters.
sweet like honey!
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:31pm
This is the first time I have streched consciously. I never really payed attention, sometimes I would wait untill my hair was just constantly poofy, and would count and be at 8 weeks. So far I'm at 6 weeks post, and I'm trying to go to 10 if not 12.  I've been co washing daily, or sometimes just leaving conditioner in all day and all night,( i get lazy some days) But my hair has showed alot of improvment.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 10:27pm
Cebnn, when you get to 8 weeks and it gets poofy, how do you style it?? That's what I'm having trouble with now. I'm at 9 weeks post.
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 10:58pm
I usually stretch to 12 weeks, but right now I am at 16. I am a self relaxer--salons just can't pamper and condition the way I like to do
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:15pm

Seriously?  I couldn't begin to take care of my scalp the way my current hairdresser does.  Of course, she has the luxury of seeing me only four times a year.

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 12:10am

Honeydoo,

do you like wearing your hair down? maybe at night put a good moisturiser in your hair, and tie it down with a scarf keracare w/jojoa oil works good for this. its a little heavy though Thats what i do sometimes. last two weeks tho i have just been co washing daily and letting my hair do whatever bf hates it but my hair hasnt been softer, and i am feelin so much newgrowth

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:11am
Sistaslick, are you from the blackhairmedia forums? Your s/n looks familiar.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Jewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 3:43pm
I go 12-16 weeks. I would love to go 26 weeks, but that is hard to do for me without heat and braids. The braids would make my new growth super unmanageable, especially since my hair is now used to me daily CO washing and sometimes shampooing and conditioning daily. My mom does my touch-ups. My hair is too much to manage for me to touch it up myself. I don't go to salons, ever (as of Jan 05)

Edited by Jewell
Type: 3c, Relaxed
Current Length: Lower Back (Close to Waist)
Goal: Classic Length

http://public.fotki.com/Jewell21
PW: trulyblessed

-No Stylists.
-Self-Relaxer.
-Simple Hair Care.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 9:22pm

Cebnn,

I usually do wear my hair down, as long as I'm wearing a hair friendly shirt. What I did this week is saturate my hair in shea butter and put it into a ponytail. It stayed moisturized through the day, but my weakness is I love long sleek hair all the time. I'm getting out of that stage though.

Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 12:12am

Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

Sistaslick, are you from the blackhairmedia forums? Your s/n looks familiar.

Yep!  Well used to . . . 

Nowadays, I spend most of my time at this place:  http://p069.ezboard.com/bblackbeautyblackhair86911

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic