Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lowlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thompson629 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompson629 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowlights
    Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:17pm
My hair is naturally brown (level 6 or 7 per my stylist). The current color is a light ash blonde. I would like lowlights that match my natural color. I have had two bad experiences with lowlights (one turning gray and the other turning purple). Is it possible to acheive brown lowlights in light ash blonde hair or will I end up with a strange color? I plan on having it done at a salon, but my last two experiences were at salons and the results were terrible. I would greatly appreciate some input before I do it! Thanks!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 6:58am
If your ash blonde is pretty light, its common for it to turn a funny color when going dark.  If they use a reddish based color it will go orange or too bright red, and if they use an ash based color it will go blue or green.  The thing they should know to do though is that they will have to do it twice.  Once with with a redder brown shade and once with a brown ash shade.  These shades will counteract each other and blend to make a brown (the first one acts as a filler for the second one) and you should wind up with a natural looking dark shade.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 8:12am

I think you should follow Susan's advice.

There are also some neutral shade dyes with a little ash in them. Like all the NA (natural ash) in the Goldwell Topchic color line.

In the NA line, the colors are 2 parts neutral and 1 part ash to control warmth.

thompson629 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompson629 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 8:41pm
Thaks so much for info. It will really help me when deciding on a salon. I want to make sure they are on the right track before I have the lowlights done. Hopefully the third try will give me the results I am looking for!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic