Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fusion vs shrinkies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chunt1023 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunt1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fusion vs shrinkies
    Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:42pm

Why does every one here hate fusion sooo much? and love shrinkies, when they are so much a like.  

Edited by chunt1023
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 11:43pm

Shrinkies and fusions are nothing alike.  The mechanism that adheres the hair for shrinkies is a small piece of shrink wrap tubing.  In fusion, in just basically hot glue and it's so much harder to get out of the hair. 

To remove shrinkies, you reheat the tube and it slides right out.  If there's a bit of residue left over, the oily citrus solvent cleans that up easily.

To remove fusion glue, you apply acetone and try to break up the glue with pliers, and more often than not it will be hard to break up the glue  and that is where the damage can come from in fusion.

isaac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 1:27pm
I have used both.
We have been experimenting with a protien resin for the last few years and found one that is a lot less messy and not so hard. The remover is not so harsh. I like it a lot but I still don't think fusion is good for all hair types. The shrinkies tend to not last as long as the fusion but are great.
I do mainly pinchbraids they are the simplest I find to maintain. Not one method is perfect for all hair types. Sometimes I like to do pinchbarids all on the back then do shrinkies or fusion on the top since they are so small.

Bla bla.

I'm rambling at this point :)

Isaac
Cyberparlor.com
Http://www.cyberparlor.com
Club Salon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Club Salon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:23pm
I agree with Isacc, I have had fusion and shrinkies and I perfer fusion. I dont use the glue method Metalgirl is refering to and I would never use acetone on my clients hair. I never have a problem removing the fusion extension I install. I think fusion gets a bad reps alot of the times on the group when there are much worst methods out there (hairlocs). I really think that the outcome both installation and removal has alot to do the the stylist.
Club Salon
http://www.clubsalonspa.com
boogiemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogiemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Club Salon Club Salon wrote:

I never have a problem removing the fusion extension I install.

What brand or company do you use for fusion extensions?
edit again: Clubsalon does Great Lengths, I looked at the site.
eh.

edited to add:

I need someone to explain to me how the fusion adhesive does not melt onto the hair when doing shrinkies? I thought you had to pre-tip the hair to guide it into the shrinkie. Do you slide it up past where the shrinkie is and cut it off? I'm totally lost on how that system works, but I'm thinking about experimenting.

Edited by boogiemama
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 4:27pm
I think most people don't use fusion glue to pretip hair for shrinkies. The favorite seems to be LG and some kinds of epoxies. If you do use fusion glue to pretip, coating the tip with nail glue will keep it from melting under the shrinkie...supposedly. When I pretip, LG works the best and they stay in longer if I don't coat them with nail glue.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 5:20pm
I only coat with nail glue if I do a microring method. It keeps the tip
from completely crushing and spreading apart under the pressure of
the application.

For shrinkies, I do not use nail glue but coat the tip with Liquid Gold. I
like the way it melts under the heat and adds the extra ummph to
keep the shrinkie in. By the time the shrinkie adhesive and the LG
starts to give out (I went a good 8-10 weeks with an application), it's
time to take the extensions out anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic