Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indecent Proposal......?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indecent Proposal......?
    Posted: August 06 2005 at 5:45pm

Okay, a bit long, but I was curious of what other people would think........

I am not a hair stylist, but I've been doing my own extensions now for, I don't know, say about 5 years.  I started doing fusion a year ago.  Anyhow, I have a friend who is a hair stylist and does extensions.  We've known  eachother for a long time and I assumed he knew I wore extensions, but we were talking the other day and he just about jumped through the roof when I mentioned my "extensions".   Apparently he never knew.  He wanted to inspect my bonds and ask me a million questions.  Anyways, long story short, the manager at his salon is offering me free hair coloring services any time I want if I will teach them how I do MY extensions.  At first, I thought, ABSOLUTELY!  I'd be more than happy to show you!  But now that I think about it, I feel like......this salon is making a boat load of money doing extensions and they want me to show them how I do extensions, I don't know why, maybe they aren't happy with the method they currently use, maybe they want to know where I get my hair and supplies from so they can cut their cost and ultimately make MORE money, who knows......but I started thinking about it, and I almost got mad because they can make all this money off of doing extensions, and I'm obviously just as good at doing extensions if the salon wants me to demonstrate MY method, but I can't get a dime out of doing extensions.  I'm not trying to be difficult, I mean, I don't mind sharing the love, but you know, I'd kind of like to be able to make money for my services too.  I dunno.

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 5:54pm
Yeah i would be a little leery myself.What method do they currently do? Is it drastically different from yours.If so maybe they just want to offer clients more choices?
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:04pm
As a licensed stylist, I'd say free color is not enough.  I think free color services for about a year is more like it.  The Hairpolice training is about $1000.  Mark Barrington is about $1500 these days.  Great Lengths is at least $1500.  On the other hand, the only way to get love is to give it... so to speak.  I think a big problem with hairdressers these days is that nobody will share the information.  It's like Indecent Proposal  .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:07pm

I know they do strand by strand but I really can't remember what method.  I think they use some patented name brand where  you have to buy their hair and be trained in their method, blah blah blah. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:11pm
I don't have a problem sharing the info.  I do it all the time with girlfriends.  I will even do their hair for free.  I just feel like the salon is a business, and if they are asking me, an un-professional, to help them further their business, I feel cheated because I could really use some extra money, but instead of being compensated for my service, someone else is going to take it to the bank. 
kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:38pm
is it illegal in your state?

I dont think you need qualifications here, just insurance (but wether they'll give you that depends on wether your qualified)
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:12pm

I would get a flat fee no less than $500. You are taking out from your life, and going there to TEACH and time is money and what if you hate your color It's one thing to help your freind as we do here it's give and take, but the owner and other workers are not your freinds.

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:17pm
This really does my head in in England.  Because I use the shrinkie and extentube method, I get people bringing their "friend" with them who turns out to be a frigging hairdresser.  They're peering over my shoulder as I'm doing "my" client and asking how you do it etc etc, where I get my hair from I feel like screaming do your own research but of course I don't because I don't want to lose my client.  I've even had a couple where I've done their hair and then they've gone away and e-mailed me telling me that they've been thinking they'd like to do extensions and could I tell them where to train, who my supplier is etc.  My husband goes absolutely mad and says to me, tell them you had to do months of research and test batchs after batches of hair to start your business, why should you set up competition for yourself.  I find it rude to be honest.  I don't think you should learn them unless you are getting paid the going rate, they're taking the p***.  I've spent a lot of money, time and effort and I feel like saying sometimes, why don't I sit on my settee and you can come and do my f****** clients! x
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:44pm
Your absolutely right.They are making enough money that they can at least pay you to teach your method.And I wouldnt blame you if you decided you didnt want to share your techinique.I agree a color service definitely wouldnt compensate for you sharing what you know.Plus it could take away business from you.Sounds like a bum deal.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 10:34pm

I find this topic very amusing.  On this very board I have been seriously chewed out  because I stated  that professionals who invest time and money in their craft should be afforded the professional courteousy to have exclusive rights  above and beyond DIYers to suppliers and/ or methods.  I also was reamed for saying that for reasons of public health and safety, I don't think  non licensed people should be allowed to perform extension services for monetary compensation.  Those weren't popular opinions here!

Now, Bird, I do respect you and enjoy reading your contributions a lot, but I find it funny that now a DIYer  is starting to think more like a pro in that they realize their time and skill is a valuable commodity and not something that should be given away for free! 

So, what makes it 'ok' on this board for a DIYer to demand to be paid for her knowledge and everyone agrees with that, but when I was trying to justify the money that professionals charge for their services (with the thousands of dollars in education I have invested, salon overhead, etc) why is that not ok?

Edited by metalgirl
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:07pm
Disclaimer - I may be ranting and or slightly OT

What do you do in your "real life" Bird?  I think, at a bare bare minimum you should be charging twice whatever your hourly rate of real life work is.  Why?  You have a valuable commodity.  How you got it is not the question to me.  I share my knowledge of 'fitness' stuff freely with my friends.  All my friends, except the ones that I work with in the fitness industry.  When they start asking those questions I get real vague real quick.  Some of my knowledge comes from training, some from experience.  If I wanted to take the time to jump through a couple hoops, I could get paid roughly two to three times the going rate here for 15 hour weekends training people to do what I do.  The same people who are asking me for my friendly opinion/advice.  I had to pay/sweat/research/pull my hair out to get to that place. 
Somehow sharing info with people willing to get off their butts and hunt for info on the internet is a lot less difficult for me than sharing the same kind of little tricks with the competition.  If you go to this salon anyhow,  then some sort of 'free services for x period of time' seems fine since you already like their work.  But otherwise politely tell them you have other things to do.

Oh and I have no idea but if you are a homemaker/housewife/domestic engineer whatever the PC term is these days then yes you have an hourly rate there to figure out as well.  There's a website that does it but I can't remember what it is, saw it a few years ago. 

metalgirl - I have no idea to what you are refering.  I think people should follow whatever the laws where they live are.  One certainly can take training classes without being licensed.  Whether or not they can legally perform those services without one is a whole other thing.
As to how much you charge.  If it were me, I'd charge as much as I possibly could.  But hey I'm greedy as can be.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:55pm

most of the cosmetologists that I know, dont know one iota about extensions...where as Ive been learning and practicing on myself and a few friends for years. So honestly Id say Im much more knowledgeable and skilled when it comes to extensions than my licensed friends. Most beauty schools dont even teach anything about extensions, so just because someone has the license doesnt mean they are qualified to do extensions either.

I dont disagree with you metalgirl and you should be well compensated. I think you are highly qualified and skilled and deserve to make the money for what you do. And so do all other licensed qualified skilled professionals.  And I agree with having laws to protect innocent people from unqualified people...but I just believe that the license doesnt necessarily mean someone is qualified. Or that just because someone doesnt have a license means they are not qualified...trust me Ive met many a licensed cosmotogists that I wish I had been protected from....

Its a shame that I would have to spend 1500 hours taking classes that teach me NOTHING about extensions in order to legally do extensions on someone...and license or no license I sure wouldnt do it for FREE!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:27am
BirdOfEden –

You have skills and knowledge in something that is marketable. Whether you bought that know how in a classroom setting or obtained it from trial and error and self-education over the years is irrelevant, imo. No doubt you’ve shelled out a bit of money to be where you are today.

So, yes, you should charge that salon. I wouldn’t agree to free services for a number of reasons. Personally, I would charge a flat fee or a percentage of potential income for the salon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 10:19am
Whew!  Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions.  I thought for a second that I was being a greedy &*#$.  LOL. 
leelou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 4:08pm

how come they havent asked you to work for them?? you ought to offer your services to them or rent a chair!! i guess they havent suggested any of those possibilities cos its not gonna make them any money lol!! stuff showing them how to.. let them pay the proper prices for training not just a free colour which would cost them next to nothing to do!!

xxx Leanne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic