Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing heat seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing heat seals
    Posted: August 17 2005 at 12:48pm

Funny thing ~ I know that you are supposed to crack and twist the seal and it slips off and then you undo a tiny braid.

So, I went to take out the bottom row of my heat seals because the hair was trashed and the seal slipped right off, but there was no braid, just a little matted area that combed right out ( I thought this was probably the spirit gum that was used) 

I just can't figure it out - for those that have worn heat seal and had them come out, do you actually see a braid?

Edited by LauraR
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 10:05pm

I think most of the time you should see a braid.  If the seal wasn't done properly, than it is possible that your hair slipped out and unbraided itself.

I personally am having  MUCH better luck with pinchbraids than the heat seals.  Many of my heat seal clients lose extensions or the hair sheds, but none of my pinchbraid clients have lost any extensions and zero shedding.

Pinchbraids and plastik haar is now my favorite installation method!

LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 9:52am
This shed like crazy ALL the time.  when I would bruch in the morning my bathroom floor was covered in hair and even throughout the day it shed.  I don't use conditioner on my head at all, only mid shaft down.  In all that came out (slipped and the one I took out) which was like 25+ I never saw or had to undo a braid.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 10:50am
I think I made my little braids longer than people do on average when I did my heat seals.  The ones that I had done shorter still had little braids underneath though.  How long were the attachment points?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 10:50am

What I found, is that if the heat seal is heated for too long, the the synth hair gets singed, and when you brush it it comes out.  Also, sometimes it doesn't get wrapped well enough, and then the hair can also start shedding.

While it seams like a good method in theory, I find that there is too many things that can go wrong to make them either shed or slip out.

On the other hand, Charlene just taught me the pinchbraid in a few minutes, and from her excellent instruction (thanks again, Char!) I can do this method with no problems.  In fact, the first gal I did with this works in the salon, and she loves it.  She's been wearing them for 4-5 weeks now, and not one has slipped, come out, or shed.

Sorry you're having problems!

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 12:10pm
See and I totally respect that (metalgirl) I'm an idiot with pinch braids.  I always have trouble with the thread breaking...  and If I don't pull tight enough that the thread breaks (most of the time) they slip right out.

Anyhow, I guess i got lucky with the heat seals.
Minimum slipping/shedding
LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 1:52pm
mocha~ the "seal" is about 1/2 an inch or my finger's width
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 9:36pm

Hey Mocha

Are you using upholstry thread?  That stuff won't break no matter how hard you pull on it.  I pull my knots pretty tight, and the thread will dig (painfully) into my hands before it will break from the tension.  Upholsty thread is the way to go and it's cheap!

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 11:26pm
I tried upholstery thread, then weave thread.  I even told the girl at the sewing shop what I was doing when she asked me why I needed such heavy duty thread.  Though to be fair, with the most recent attempt (there have been a few) I got irritated quickly anf gave up.

some of my seals were about half a inch long.  I think it makes a difference whether you leave a little bit of the synth hair out at the base of the braid for sealing or pull the piece to wrap with from the bottom of the braid.  I'm not sure exactly what difference it makes but...

Anyhow witha couple exceptions I had actual braids to take out afer breaking the seal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic